Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sorry, but another stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:49 PM
dynalowride
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sorry, but another stupid question

Just rode my new bike for the first time. Rode a 100 miles on the highway, varying my speed as much as possible. but i had to keep up with traffic so my brand new motor was riding at 60-70-80mph back and forth. is this a good way to break in the pistion rings? or do you think i did it incorrectly. thnx in advance for your replies.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:51 PM
baxter
Road Warrior
Default RE: sorry, but another stupid question

i think they give specifics on that in the owners manual. check it out. may be a good idea to do it the way the manufacturer describes

Old 03-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Chipstah
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be fine - for only 100 miles most anything should be ok short of lugging the engine (worst thing to do by far) or drag racing hitting the redlne every shift - it's more a matter of rpms and not speed per se - in other words, it depends on what gears you're using at what speeds. Varying rpms and keeping them within recommended limits as much as possible is a good thing for lots of reasons. Other school of thought says break it in the way you're going to ride it! Your choice in the end, but I've always believed in the varying rpm technique, avoiding lugging the engine, and avoiding hard breaking until the pads are seated. It's always worked well for me not matter what vehicle I was breaking in!
Chip

Old 03-11-2007, 09:53 PM
clayman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its very misleading to be breaking in a new bike by mph. People end up riding there bike at way too low of speeds and then lug there engines which is harmfull. You havnt done anything to harm your engine. There is alot of different opinions as to how you should break in a new engine, i personally go for the common sense aproach. Ride it normally, vary your speeds, dont use your engine as a brake and dont lug it.If you do a search you will find alot of good info hear on engine break in, but remember these things are pretty tough, they aint gonna break too easily.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Zyklon
Tourer

My manual said vary the speed, keep the rpm below 3000 rpm in any gear for the first 50 miles, and keep the rpm below 3500rpm for the first 500 miles. Maybe a tachometer would be a good idea, then you would have some idea of how many rpm you are actually turning. ( Running in 6th gear at 3150 rpm should get you 80 mph, or real close to it..)

Zyklon

Old 03-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Dirtrace95
Cruiser

Id just not use 6th gear, it tends to lug the engine unless 70 and above.
Just kinda ride normal with no hot-rodding. and dont let the engine idle for an excessive amount of time and build to much heat.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say you've totally ruined the bike and should send it to me immediately for proper disposal.

P.S. I'll need the title too....

Old 03-11-2007, 11:40 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Using the engine for a brake, i.e. letting the compression slow it down is the quickest way to break in the rings! I ignored the manual myself. I'm a gearhead, and have been one my whole life, so I used commen sense. After 50 miles, I started riding the **** out of my bike! She is perfectly fine, and after my personal break in routine, she really turns high numbers on the dyno....

Go find a long hill, and then after your going 40-50, Start gearing down, and let the motor's compression slow the bike down. A couple times down the hill, and the rings are sealed! Then all your looking at is your rod and main bearings, because by this time the cams have already broken in! Ride it like you are going to ride it, just take it easy on high rpm's until you have hot sinked the motor several times....by this I mean get it hot, then turn it off let it cool, and then get it hot again.....@ 50 miles, I started "rippin" on it![8D] It is built strong, and really rips! At 1,000 miles, I changed all the fluids, did my own 1,000 mile inspection, re-torqued everything, and converted to gear drive, SE Gear down kit and pressure plate, Arlen Ness "Big Sucka" Air cleaner, S&S mufflers, Stage I download for the timing bump and higher redline, and a PC III with a DYNO tune! I'm at 5,400 miles+ right now, and the more miles she gets, the "looser" the motor gets, and the more power she has!

I generally ignore the manual. Use the torque figures, keep an eye on the fluid levels, and keep the fluids clean, and everything adjusted! Buy some tools and a lift, and the service manual, and dive in!, try your best not to throw money at the dealer.

And most importantly HAVE FUN! These bikes aren't perfect...they have character, and that is what it is all about.

Joe

Old 03-11-2007, 11:46 PM
oakies
Advanced

You should be fine.....Nothing to worry about

Old 03-12-2007, 12:28 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

You aint gonna hurt it.......no lugging under 2000 rpm.......no winding it up tight in gear until 1000 miles...no long highway cruising. Make sure you get the 1000 mile service done.

Quick Reply: sorry, but another stupid question