Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird problem on start up.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 07:10 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Weird problem on start up.

I started my bike today. Ran fine and I only ran it for a minute.

I then had to shut it off when my neighbor came up and wanted to talk for a bit so I could hear what he had to say..

He said his piece and headed off mentioning a possible ride later on today.

I then restarted my bike or tried too. It made an awful sound like it choked and some kind of dark smoke came out my air cleaner.

The bike has never done this before ever. Always ran and idled flawlessly. I am still wondering what the he@@ happened. I rode it for awhile after .

When I got home and put the bike in neutral while I opened the garage it idled rough for a minute or two and sounded like it was going to stumble and quit.....and then started idling normal again. I'm going to put some sea foam in the tank today later on and see if it helps..

I am still puzzled . Anyone have any ideas ? I have an efi 2011 street bob.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I start mine when it's colder, then have to shut it off within the first minute or so because I forgot something, etc., then restart it, it kinda acts like it's loading up...similar to what you describe. I've had it cough & die doing this.
My guess would be it was enriched by the FI and had not leaned itself out yet since it was still cold, so when you shut it off that way there is a lot of fuel in the cylinders when you restarted it causing it to backfire through the breather. You might take your breather off and inspect it...may have some gunk on it on the inside from the backfire.
Just my $.02

Old 10-16-2013, 02:49 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You would think a modern FI engine would never behave abnorally, but they do. Mine has done exactly what you described.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will add that mine is even more temperamental when cold since doing cams & the D&D pipe. It's been dyno tuned with SEPST and runs perfect...it's just kinda cold natured acting...way more than a stock bike. It will stumble and cough until it's ran for a couple minutes and starts to warm up. Once the enrichening is done & it will idle at normal rpms, it is smooth as glass. If you shut if off and restart before it gets to that point, it acts just like you described. It's probably mostly due to my tune...AFRs are running in the low 13:1s throughout when warm, so when it's enrichening when cold, it's running really rich which causes it to load up. It kinda acts like a carbed bike when it's cold for the first couple minutes.

Last edited by Sharkman73; 10-18-2013 at 08:00 AM.