Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New '06 Superglide=PERSONAL opinion...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 07:54 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default New '06 Superglide=PERSONAL opinion...

Hello all,

I noticed some changes on the new glide, and thought I'd mention them....

The front fork lock is now where the ignition is, no more behind the battery.

The battery has a plastic cover over it, that's supposed to look like aluminum, I guess...

The nice sleek forks have been replaced by 46mm units that look really beefy (and heavy)

The frame/swingarm is different, with both sides of the rear pegs being able to be removed ()

A new 6- speed transmission that requires checkups by the factory, due to bearing problems

new colors, the new dark blue is pretty nice, the rust color looks like a Honda VTX color

front headlight is attached to the lower tree, no more "eyebrow" setup

All in all, a nice bike, but I personally prefer the 39mm forks, and can live without the plastic battery cover. The ignition setup is okay, i guess......I'd rather have the 5-speed transmission that's time tested and proven, and why did they get rid of "Chopper Blue"??

joe

Old 08-26-2005, 08:29 PM
nj82tj
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New '06 Superglide=PERSONAL opinion...

i was just looking at a '05 Dyna next to a '06 Dyna today and i have to say the bigger forks look much better (IMO) also, the fatter rear tire looks a lot better too. i didn't notice about the plastic battery cover though. it looked fine to me. also, i couldn't believe how easy the clutch was to pull!

Old 08-26-2005, 09:01 PM
WillieC
Road Master

Hi,

The battery cover is not plastic. It is heavy steel with an aluminium
deco strap acrossed it. I know I removed the aluminium piece (see pic).

I personally prefer the 49 mm forks provides very good supension
and I like the looks.

So far the six speed is smooth and very nice also.

Possibly is you took a demo ride on one you would be more impressed with it.

I also think the pre 06 models are very nice too and you are correct they are time proven.
But new models have to start sometime I guess. I had one of the first 04 Roadsters which
was not bad for a new model.

Willie

[IMG]local://upfiles/3686/EB1212E3B50342CEBDC2E84AC24FC968.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-26-2005, 09:34 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 494 Likes on 196 Posts

I guess I am biased being that I have an 05 FXDI but I prefer the look of the old forks. I find that they do an adequate job. If anything I may just add a steering dampner and a fork brace to help stabilize the front end when passing or being passed by the 18 wheelers especially if you have a windshield on the bike.

I just came back from a 5000 mile trip to Sturgis and the five speed was more than up to the task of cruising the interstates at 75 - 80 mph all day long.

I wouldn't mind a sixth speed once all the kinks are worked out of it however the way I understand it the 6th gear only reduces the rpm's by about 300. I like the fact that I can loaf along and dod not have to upshift or downshift all that much if I don't feel like it.

As far as the ignition I initially did not like where HD put it on the 05's. However after getting used to it I like it right where it is. It is slightly behind the battery box so the key(s) don't get blown around. I too had an 04 1200r Sporty and it started to dull the frame from getting blown around in the wind and hitting the same spot mile after mile. I did not have any other keys on the key ring just the plastic HD piece.

I do prefer the look of the headlight without the brow though.

All in all I don't think you can go wrong with either an 05 (or 04,03...etc) or 06 Dyna.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:43 PM
WillieC
Road Master

I agree with you there.

If I had a choice I probably would have gotten the 5 speed after finding
out about the inner primary bearing replacement at 15k intervals on the 6 speed.
At any rate it is better than the Sporty.

Fact is that any Harley is good. If I had the xtra $ I would have a street glide probably.

Willie

Old 08-26-2005, 09:46 PM
WillieC
Road Master

Forgot to comment on the ingition location on the 06.
Because the key is the round it falls out all the time
when it is in the off position.

I am hoping to get a console from a Wide Glide and put it on my Bob.
Tanks are the same and the mounting holes are too.

Probably fairly pricy to do it though.

Willie

Old 08-27-2005, 10:11 AM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 494 Likes on 196 Posts

ORIGINAL: WillieC

out about the inner primary bearing replacement at 15k intervals on the 6 speed.

Willie
I don't understand why everyone is so upset about the inner primary bearing replacement at 15k intervals on the 6 speed. Harley is paying the tab so why should you care.

Enjoy your new ride!!!!!

Old 08-27-2005, 12:47 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

ORIGINAL: SC_Compact

Willie
I don't understand why everyone is so upset about the inner primary bearing replacement at 15k intervals on the 6 speed. Harley is paying the tab so why should you care.

Enjoy your new ride!!!!!
Are y'all saying the bearing has to be replaced every 15k miles? And HD is gonna pick up the tab at 15k, 30k, 45k, etc., for the the length of the extended warranty? 15k would be the middle of the riding season in a normal year for a lotta folks in the south. Having the bike in the shop for a week in June would be a drag.

Sounds like a major engineering SNAFU. "Hey buddie! Wanna buy a good used 6 speed tranny?"

Twinkie motors with cast-in bearing races that eventually will require case replacement because of normal wear, instead of pressing in a new race when rebuilding, 6 speed trannies that require a bearing not even in the tranny-proper to be replaced at 15k intervals. What other surprises are lurking in these new HD muttersickles? What the heck is going on?

"So ya gotta used HD for sale, buddy? Lessee, yer bike is worth $10k by Kelly's Blue Book, but I gotta take off $3k for having to replace the tranny with one that lasts longer than 6 months, and since yer bottom end is gettin' a little loose, I'd better take off another $6k for a replacement S&S motor, plus about $2k for my labor. Tell ya what, you gimmee an even grand and I'll take this pieca junk off'n yer hands."

Old 08-27-2005, 02:26 PM
WillieC
Road Master

Dealer told me it was four hours to replace the Inner Pri Bearing.

My hope is that the problem is in the bearing it'self and they will eventually
get a better one that will take the stress. Hopefully it is not an oil or
lack of getting proper lube design issue.

Wadda ya gonna do ?
If you have the 06 you find reasons why it is good.
If you have an earlier model you will find reasons why that is better than an 06.
They are both good and if I had a choice of an 05 or an 06 brand new I would still
probably take the 06 but wish it had a carb rather tha FI.

Still a GREAT bike wether an 0X up to 06!

Willie

Old 08-27-2005, 03:11 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Dealer told me it was four hours to replace the Inner Pri Bearing.

My hope is that the problem is in the bearing it'self and they will eventually
get a better one that will take the stress. Hopefully it is not an oil or
lack of getting proper lube design issue.

Wadda ya gonna do ?
If you have the 06 you find reasons why it is good.
If you have an earlier model you will find reasons why that is better than an 06.
They are both good and if I had a choice of an 05 or an 06 brand new I would still
probably take the 06 but wish it had a carb rather tha FI.

Still a GREAT bike wether an 0X up to 06!

Willie
I'm not understanding why the change to the 6 speed causes a problem in a bearing not in the transmission. The bearing is stressed whether it's a 3 speed, 4 speed, 5 speed, or 6 speed. And I would think the stress would be greatest in the lower gears while accelerating, not at the upper end.

The 4 hours is for draining the primary, removing the shift lever, outer primary, clutch hub assembly, motor sprocket, and inner primary; knocking out the old bearing, pressing in a new one, then reinstalling everything. And every time it comes apart is another chance for it to be put back together with a leak. Middle of the riding summer, everyone's bike is a priority, and sometimes service waits are measured in weeks. I 'spose if an appointment is made in advance actual down time would be minimized.

Is the new tranny a different case than the previous years? Or is it simply the 6 speed guts in the same tranny case? I could understand an engineering glitch resulting from an all new case & primary set-up. But if it's the same case with the 6 speed guts, why hasn't the problem shown up on the bikes with the retro-fitted 6 speed available from HD?

Questions, questions. THE MAMA is making noises about a bigger bike. I know she'd be happier with a rubber mount or the 88B engine than an older Evo. My HDs tend to hang around for about 20 years, so the ability to rebuild them is a priority, and doing repairs from poor engineering doesn't fly to well.

Quick Reply: New '06 Superglide=PERSONAL opinion...