Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Horn Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 09:45 AM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Dyna Horn Replacement

Gotta add a horn back to my bike and I'm considering this one: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/3600...FRRk7AodRRIAZA

I removed the stock cowbell and horn a few years ago...eyesores I didn't need covering my motor. I tucked the wires away underneath the battery and fuse boxes, which is convenient since I just moved to TX and have to put a horn back on (I thought TX was land of the free?) and figure I'll just get a tiny horn to mount under the battery box.

But I'm no electrician...having clipped the old wires, will I need to solder or anything to get them hooked back up to that little pancake?

Old 10-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Cloyder
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure how that particular horn hooks up, but I believe the stock horns just use regular old female terminal connectors to hook onto the studs on the horn. They usually crimp on. If you need to extend the wires I would just use crimp type butt connectors. I'm not very good at soldering so I tend to use crimp type connectors for everything.

You should be able to get everything you need at your local electrical supply house for less than $3. More if you need a pair of wire strippers/crimpers

EDIT
You might need 90 degree connectors.

Last edited by Cloyder; 10-09-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Without being able to see how that universal horn is designed to connect, I'd just order it if i were you. There are a lot of options to get wires connected, all very easy to do at home.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Jimmy2Ball
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at DK Customs, that have a horn relo kit that I used and was pretty easy to install.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:59 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This might work too: http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Blac...?categoryId=-1

I've always preferred the idea of tucking it under the battery box, out of sight, to having it up front on the down tubes.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:57 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I remember reading a thread about a horn replacement that was available at the auto parts store that was a good bit louder than stock and was the same size. Wish I could give more details but maybe someone else has a better memory than me.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:11 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

You might consider the stock chrome horn from the Rocker or the Breakout, which mounts on the front downtubes. You might even like the way it looks.

If you're going to the trouble of putting a horn on, why not mount it somewhere where it's useful and can be heard easily?
I use mine quite a bit, and it's probably saved my azz a few times. Yup, I have loud pipes, but something about the sound of a horn gets people's attention in a special way.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:18 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I went with this one it's 115 decibels:
http://www.jpcycles.com/search/searc...012733&Ntk=All

I got the low toe one.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by maddghost
I went with this one it's 115 decibels:
I got the low toe one.
When considering loudness measurements, one needs to consider how the measurements were taken, like distance from the horn, and presence or absence of sound-reflecting surfaces. Without knowing that, decibel levels don't mean much. One suppliers 100 decibel horn could be louder than another suppliers 130 decibel horn.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 10-11-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Another vote for DK customs horn. Do their coil relocation too. Cleans the bike up nicely.

Quick Reply: Dyna Horn Replacement