Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 05:50 PM
ExDucRider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping Handlebars

I am thinking of replacing my handlebars to this bar

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-09-5598510--1

The description on the website did not say or mention anything about replacing cables and lines. So I would assume that I can use all my stock lines.

My question is, how hard is it to do this internal electrical wiring. I know I can do brake lines and clutch cable. Those are easy.

Anyone here done this job themselves? I don't want to pay 5 hours labor ($100 an hour) that the dealer asking.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:36 PM
brandon95354
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

use the search button, tons of info on swaps. its easy very easy

Old 10-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Mtorres
Cruiser

It's very easy. I'm no profession mechanic and was able to do it. I would recommend have a extra person to help.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:39 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

You haven't said what bike you have, or what bars you have now, so it's impossible to say what parts you'll need.

I'll guess that the internal wired handlebar swap, along with swapping grips, accessing and unpinning the connectors etc. could easily be a three hour job, if no parts are required and the clutch cable doesn't need to be replaced with a longer or shorter one. Added to that, a number of people here have posted about electrical problems after doing the job themselves.

Maybe you can find an independent shop with a better labor rate?

Old 10-09-2013, 04:59 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Post #4 in the thread below links to a series of pretty good videos on how to do the job.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...on-wiring.html

Last edited by Warp Factor; 10-09-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:20 AM
ExDucRider
Tourer

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
You haven't said what bike you have, or what bars you have now, so it's impossible to say what parts you'll need.

I'll guess that the internal wired handlebar swap, along with swapping grips, accessing and unpinning the connectors etc. could easily be a three hour job, if no parts are required and the clutch cable doesn't need to be replaced with a longer or shorter one. Added to that, a number of people here have posted about electrical problems after doing the job themselves.

Maybe you can find an independent shop with a better labor rate?
Sorry I failed those important details. I have a 2013 Fat Bob (FXDF) and I would like to swap the bar for this one

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-09-5598510--1

They both have an internal wiring. I am pretty handy on a bolt-on items. I just don't like any surprises. By the way for what it's worth, the wiring not only run internally to the bars, but it goes inside the frame.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:45 AM
ExDucRider
Tourer

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Post #4 in the thread below links to a series of pretty good videos on how to do the job.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...on-wiring.html
Thanks for the info. Nice video. I just hope that my 2013 Fat Bob is the same or at least similar concept to that 2006 Wide Glide.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:36 PM
brandon95354
Road Captain

you can run the 2012 and up dyna wires internal with out taking apart the connectors, ive done west coast tbars and rsd vintage apes along with rsd 19inch king apes. the rsd bars have sorta like reverse 45 degree bends(i guess thats how to describe it). the older mylex or molex(spelling is wrong im sure) connectors need to be taking apart. the new connectors are tiny. the bars you want a 1 1/4 so that helps alot, 1 1/4 was way easier for me on the king apes, than the 1 inch bars ive done.

get the bars from surdyke or kutter harley way cheaper. get some NAMZ wire extensions plug and play very easy to use. be sure to disconnect battery and go to work. video on you tube on how to change clutch cables bagger, dyna, softtail, changing the clucth cable is basically all the same. throttle cables/brake line are basic. on a dyna i have never completley removed the tank to change bars, although it would help with the cables.

pop off the rubber bungs on each side of the neck of the frame, pull wire out and you can see how small the connectors are. you might need to remove the plastic cover on bottom of neck on frame above front cylinder head to help pull out wires. right side wires go on right side frame, left side goes in left side, right side has 2 connectors left side has one.

Last edited by brandon95354; 10-09-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:12 PM
ExDucRider
Tourer

Originally Posted by brandon95354
you can run the 2012 and up dyna wires internal with out taking apart the connectors, ive done west coast tbars and rsd vintage apes along with rsd 19inch king apes. the rsd bars have sorta like reverse 45 degree bends(i guess thats how to describe it). the older mylex or molex(spelling is wrong im sure) connectors need to be taking apart. the new connectors are tiny. the bars you want a 1 1/4 so that helps alot, 1 1/4 was way easier for me on the king apes, than the 1 inch bars ive done.

get the bars from surdyke or kutter harley way cheaper. get some NAMZ wire extensions plug and play very easy to use. be sure to disconnect battery and go to work. video on you tube on how to change clutch cables bagger, dyna, softtail, changing the clucth cable is basically all the same. throttle cables/brake line are basic. on a dyna i have never completley removed the tank to change bars, although it would help with the cables.

pop off the rubber bungs on each side of the neck of the frame, pull wire out and you can see how small the connectors are. you might need to remove the plastic cover on bottom of neck on frame above front cylinder head to help pull out wires. right side wires go on right side frame, left side goes in left side, right side has 2 connectors left side has one.

Thank you! I need all the info I can get.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:31 PM
brandon95354
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ExDucRider
Thank you! I need all the info I can get.
you should be good with all stock cables maybe not clutch though, in the link a guy used 8 inch risers with stock cables.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ck-cables.html

wires should be long enough if not get namz, you should have all the info you need now....do not over think it, you will stress about it for no reason

i think i have a fxdb clutch cable and a fxdc clutch and throttle, when you do the swap if you need them i will sell them cheap. i have to check in the garage

Quick Reply: Swapping Handlebars