Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 12:13 PM
mrhistory2012
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust advice

I am currently on the process of buying a new set of pipes for my 09 FXD. I had my eyes set on some Vance & Hines 2 in 1 chrome pro pipe, but then I came across the Thunderheader chrome 2 into 1 exhaust system. They both fall within my budget so price is not the issue. I am wondering if there is a real difference between the two pipes (besides design) or if there is some advantage of using the vance over the thunderheader or viceversa? I've been reading up on the topic to get better understanding, but nothing beats the voice of experience.
thanks

Old 10-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO D&D is the best 2-1 system. Great quality, awesome performance & sound, great look on the bike.

The EPA has cracked down on V&H & the Pro Pipe doesn't yield the performance it used to, although still a great pipe.

Thunderheader will yield you good performance also, but have read a lot about quality issues, but not experienced it personally.

My tuner has dyno tuned bikes with all of the pipes mentioned & apples to apples he gets the best results on the dyno with D&D. They are top notch IMO.

Just my $.02..

Old 10-08-2013, 01:50 PM
spyderwebb
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was right where you are just a couple of weeks ago, and I ultimately chose V&H Pro Pipe. I liked what I read, saw, and heard about the Pro Pipe, but more then anything I liked the look best.

It was tough, the close second for my choice was the Rinehart, or SuperTrapp, and I also considered the Rush, Bassani, and Thunder header was in the mix too...basically I looked at about every 2 to 1 that I could find.

The cost is about the same for all of them (generally $550 to $650), and performance differences are minimal...or hard to really effectively compare. The sound distinctions are difficult to distinguish on a computer, though some (like the SuperTrapp) have very distinctive sounds.

At the end of the day it has to be something that appeals to you....whether it is because of looks, sound distinctions, or performance claims, you have to live with it. But don't worry, there is something about spending $600 on an exhaust that generally motivates one enough to love their choice

PS- there are a lot of "experts" on here that will probably set me straight and tell you how it really is, so good luck. Remember half the fun with these bikes is making it your own...and the journey getting there, enjoy!

Old 10-08-2013, 01:52 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

either way your on the right track with a 2-1, i like the bassani or the bub lakester personally, i am not a fan of T headers as they get so insane hot and people have issues with them cracking but for power they do help the bike scavange and make good numbers... just all depends on the look you want

Old 10-08-2013, 02:52 PM
mrhistory2012
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
IMO D&D is the best 2-1 system. Great quality, awesome performance & sound, great look on the bike.

The EPA has cracked down on V&H & the Pro Pipe doesn't yield the performance it used to, although still a great pipe.

Thunderheader will yield you good performance also, but have read a lot about quality issues, but not experienced it personally.

My tuner has dyno tuned bikes with all of the pipes mentioned & apples to apples he gets the best results on the dyno with D&D. They are top notch IMO.

Just my $.02..
Thanks for the input Sharkman, I just looked at the inventory for D&D and they do have some nice looking pipes.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:54 PM
mrhistory2012
Cruiser

Originally Posted by spyderwebb
I was right where you are just a couple of weeks ago, and I ultimately chose V&H Pro Pipe. I liked what I read, saw, and heard about the Pro Pipe, but more then anything I liked the look best.

It was tough, the close second for my choice was the Rinehart, or SuperTrapp, and I also considered the Rush, Bassani, and Thunder header was in the mix too...basically I looked at about every 2 to 1 that I could find.

The cost is about the same for all of them (generally $550 to $650), and performance differences are minimal...or hard to really effectively compare. The sound distinctions are difficult to distinguish on a computer, though some (like the SuperTrapp) have very distinctive sounds.

At the end of the day it has to be something that appeals to you....whether it is because of looks, sound distinctions, or performance claims, you have to live with it. But don't worry, there is something about spending $600 on an exhaust that generally motivates one enough to love their choice

PS- there are a lot of "experts" on here that will probably set me straight and tell you how it really is, so good luck. Remember half the fun with these bikes is making it your own...and the journey getting there, enjoy!
Im glad to know that I am not the only who has faced such dilemma haha. Did you installed them yourself of did you take it to a shop?

Old 10-08-2013, 02:56 PM
mrhistory2012
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JRK5892
either way your on the right track with a 2-1, i like the bassani or the bub lakester personally, i am not a fan of T headers as they get so insane hot and people have issues with them cracking but for power they do help the bike scavange and make good numbers... just all depends on the look you want
I've heard good things about 2 in 1. I originally was going to buy some slip ons but i decided to wait and once i've the money spend on the real thing. Your bike is freaking sweet man btw.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:06 PM
mrhistory2012
Cruiser

while doing some research online I came across this article
http://www.harley-performance.com/harley-exhaust.html I think its pretty interesting.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:06 PM
spyderwebb
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhistory2012
Im glad to know that I am not the only who has faced such dilemma haha. Did you installed them yourself of did you take it to a shop?

I've done all my work myself, owned bikes since i was a kid and have always done my own work, but pipes is a pretty easy job anyway.

Do some research on this forum and you can find a lot of good advise, and there are several You-tube videos that will help you too.

Take your time and relish in your accomplishment when your are done!

Looking forward to seeing the "after" pictures.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:24 PM
mrhistory2012
Cruiser

Originally Posted by spyderwebb
I've done all my work myself, owned bikes since i was a kid and have always done my own work, but pipes is a pretty easy job anyway.

Do some research on this forum and you can find a lot of good advise, and there are several You-tube videos that will help you too.

Take your time and relish in your accomplishment when your are done!

Looking forward to seeing the "after" pictures.
I have seen a couple of extremely detailed instructional videos on Youtube and i also made the investment of purchasing the service manual. It seems pretty straight forward. So far I've tried to do everything myself and its worked so far hehe. We shall soon see.

Quick Reply: Exhaust advice