Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake not working 12 FXDB

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013 | 09:37 PM
jthunder
|
6th Gear
Default Front brake not working 12 FXDB

I have a 2012 Harley Street Bob. I recently replaced my front brake cable. I used a brake bleeding kit that I bought from Sears. I bled the breaks from the caliper end of the brake cable using the bleeder valve. My front brake is not working. The brake lever is very loose and when I pump the brake, Dot 4 fluid shoots out of the bleeder valve even when it is wrenched all the way in. Thinking that the inner threads were loose or that the tapered end of the bleeder valve damaged the inside of the caliper, I used epoxy to seal the threads to make sure that the bleeder valve was airtight (I am ordering an aftermarket caliper anyway). The bleeder valve is now airtight but my front brake is still not working. The brake cable is brand-new. The brake cable is sandwiched between two brass washers on the brake lever and the caliper side of the cable. Any ideas?

Old 10-05-2013 | 11:53 PM
Irish883
Road Captain

Can't say for 100% certain without feeling it firsthand, but my money is on a ton of air in the line. Not sure what you can do now that you've epoxied the the bleeder valve to the caliper, but if you can get it out, I would get it out and inspect it, assuming you can with the epoxy on it, for missing threads. You might get off as cheap as a new bleeder valve, or you may end up needing a new caliper.

Anyway, when you get the bleeder valve sorted out I would try bleeding them manually. Attach a small hose to the valve and run it into a little bit of brake fluid in a cup, or something. Pump the brake level 3-4 times to build up pressure, crack the valve 1/4 turn to let the fluid out, and then tighten it again quickly before bottoming out the lever. You shouldn't need to do this much and when the tube no longer has bubbles in it you should be good.

If you still have mushy brakes after that you may need to get into more advanced methods or using a proper vacuum bleeder, but I don't have much advice to give on that. Beyond that, head to the dealer?

Old 10-06-2013 | 04:33 AM
stilup
Road Warrior

Sometimes air gets stuck in there. Try wiggling the control lever some, you will see air in in the reservoir.
Don't use thread sealer. Must be clean good threads.
Takes a little patients.