Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is it too much(chrome or black)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 02:06 PM
CryingJoker
Road Master
Received 263 Likes on 151 Posts
Default When is it too much(chrome or black)?

I post this here rather than in general discussion since the outlooks are different bodystyles (touring, softail, sportster) and I was curious amongst the Dyna owners when does it become too much chrome on a bike or too "blacked out". Someone might like a bike that blinds those around you when you pull up to a light. Others might like a bike that the only shiny stuff is the heads on fasteners. This is just a opinion thread and wonder what everyone thinks. My personal opinion a little chrome goes a long way. the shine a new super glide has is about my limit and more than I'd probably like to polish. And I do plan to powdercoat most every piece on my fat bob black.
Also curious to see how this varies by location. Down where I am in the middle of Louisiana a black bike is just not seen other than the tins. They believe in totally chromed out bikes.
Now let's see how this progresses

Old 10-01-2013, 02:40 PM
sickboy75
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

def continue on with your blacked out idea! thats what i have done went from chrome to blacking it out. chrome is so played out!!! just got my first trophy on sunday for best custom bike an i really think the change over was the reason why. blacked out is where its at my friend!!

Old 10-01-2013, 02:48 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a personal preference. Do what you want with your bike. I myself perfer the chrome and brown look...you don't see it too often.

Attached Thumbnails When is it too much(chrome or black)?-current-dyna-004.jpg  
Old 10-01-2013, 02:50 PM
dutcharoo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Chrome Is like Cleavage, no such thing as too much.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:06 PM
CryingJoker
Road Master
Received 263 Likes on 151 Posts

my bike came blacked out a good bit but i hate to polish lol. chrome looks good for others or classic styled bikes, although the only shiny mine will have is the fork tubes, if even those lol. rooti, i have to say your bike looks quite good and i'm not usually a fan of the dark brown leather

Old 10-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 48,954 Likes on 18,984 Posts

You've got to be careful with the black ... The more black you have the faster the bike is !

Old 10-01-2013, 04:38 PM
agove
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like it all. I like a bike all chromed out, blacked out, or with a mix of black and chrome. I was planning on blacking my bike out, but have decided against it. I'm going to leave pretty much everything the was it is except for maybe powder coating the lower forks and the trees gloss black. That won't happen for a long time though. In sc I've never really paid attention to how others set theirs up their bike, but I really can't think of ver many blacked out bikes around.

Last edited by agove; 10-01-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:43 PM
arkstreetbob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like some chrome on a bike. I have only the chrome I want on my bike and like it. Dont like all chrome or all black.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Irish883
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only chrome I like is that which is used for minor accent. On my Street Bob I am going as black as I can, but I am leaving the following chrome for accent purposes:

- Levers
- Foot controls
- Turn signals (assuming I don't rip them off completely)
- Forks (no gaiters or wrap on the upper portion, in other words)
- Horn mounting bracket (just the small bracket, the cover has already been replaced with black)
- The motor is already blacked out, but some parts are chrome and I'm leaving them alone.

That being said, to each their own.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:24 PM
zimm
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

There's a street glide at my work that looks like the whole thing was dipped in wrinkle black. Looks blah blah boring. Nothing to catch the eye.

Quick Reply: When is it too much(chrome or black)?