Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail or Dyna??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 12:31 AM
Gregmeister
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail or Dyna??

I will soon be buying my first bike to celebrate my 50th birthday. After hearing many experienced riders tell me that I'd quickly outgrow a Sportster, I rented one in Vegas last week and I agree with them. Now I would like some help deciding between buying the Softail Custom or the Dyna Wideglide. I prefer the look of the Softail but many Harley salesmen are telling me that the ride on the Dyna is superior. I plan to rent each of them before I buy. Until then any suggestions from this forum would be greatly appreciated. (I'm also going to post this on the Softail forum).
Thank you--Gregmeister

Old 03-09-2007, 12:36 AM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Softail or Dyna??

The nightrain is a nice bike, but no factory softail has a good looking rear fender to me. Dyna has a better, sturdier front end now over the softails (except fatboys). Don't be afraid to hang some bling off the sides of your ride with the exposed shocks. Considering the softail was invented to look like a hardtail while hiding it's suspension it basically started life as a poser. The dyna just says, "Hey a$$hole, I got ya shocks right here!"

Old 03-09-2007, 12:48 AM
oldsporty1
Advanced

Can't say about the softail but, I went from a Sportster to the Dyna. Went through seats, shocks, on the sporty but the ride on the dyna is so much better stock. When I bought mine every salesman I talked to said the dyna has a better ride I don't think they would lie since the softail has a bigger price tag. By the way I love the ride on my street bob, hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:53 AM
oakies
Advanced

Had a 04 Sportster. Now have a 06 FXDWG. Ive never rode the Softail custom, But have rode a Softail standard. Riding solo, I dont see that much difference, but riding 2-up,The Dyna rides Way better than the Softail in my opinion

Old 03-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

You're in the Dyna Section. What answer do you expect to get here

Get a Low Rider... Unless you're over 6' tall then get a Wide Glide.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:07 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a softail Deuce and my brother has a Dyna that I've spent much time on. There is very little difference in the bikes. You will get "the motor shakes" and "the balance shafts rob power". I find my softail rides very nicely and is very comfortable. My bro's Dyna (a SuperGlide) is a bit more maneuverable but tighter (physically less room). Note that the Dyna engine is rubber mounted (shakes at idle, still at speed) and the softail is solid mounted with balance shafts (still at idle and cruising, vibrates under hard throttle). You may like one better than the other.

All in all, get what you like the best. What you fit on. That you like the way it rides. That you like the way it looks. Both are awesome bikes that will meet virtually any need you have. Harley wouldn't be selling the number of Dyna's and Softails that they do if there was any tremendous difference or weakness in either. Buy a bike and go ride...

Old 03-09-2007, 01:15 AM
sargek
Road Warrior

Gamma742 - my brother-in-law told me the opposite before I bought my WG, but he was obviously wrong. I sat on both a Softail and a WG before I bought and you are dead on: the WG is longer, or at least allows me to stretch out more. I'm 6'2" and sometimes wish for a bit more length to stretch my legs out, but I am totally happy with my WG: handling, ride, everything. The occasional boot heel drag in cornering caught me off guard a few times, but I'm kind of used to it now - tells me when that's enough.

By brother's motivation could have been because he was trying to sell me his Fatboy at the time....

Old 03-09-2007, 01:29 AM
davidchristopher
Cruiser

I was a first time rider last summer; I did find my Street Bob a bit intimidating when I first got on it, but I got very used to it before the first checkup. Some folks will tell you it's a lot of bike. I'll disagree. I've not had the chance to ride a softtail - I sat on the bike at the dealership and if felt perfect. The fatboy I also sat on felt... off.. to me - simply personal preference.

Which is what this comes down to.

If you can, call your dealership and ask when the next demo ride is. You may find yourself more comfortable on a wideglide, you may find the softtail more to your liking.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:45 AM
Jag120
Novice

I had the exact same issue. I'm 6'2" and not thin, so that cushy Softail Custom seat felt great. But at the NY cycle show one of the HD reps had me sit on the softali Custom and then the WG, back and forth a few times. He pointed out that you sit further forward on the Custom and for a tall guy, your knees hit the tank at a fatter point and you ride with your legs more spread out. Whereas on the WG, you sit further back and your legs are more straight. He was right...it did feel better. So, I bought a WG (delivery 3/16!)

I'll probably look to change out the seat, but want to put a bunch of miles on it first. Can't comment on the ride or engine vibes like the other guys, but if you're tall, the riding position might sway you.

Good Luck!

Dan

Old 03-09-2007, 02:36 AM
slofxdb
Intermediate

After Spending some time on a Softail-I did not like the engine harmonics-or the handling. I feel MUCH better on my Bob. Love the rubber mount.

Quick Reply: Softail or Dyna??