Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail or Dyna??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 02:57 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Softail or Dyna??

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

I have a softail Deuce and my brother has a Dyna that I've spent much time on. There is very little difference in the bikes. You will get "the motor shakes" and "the balance shafts rob power". I find my softail rides very nicely and is very comfortable. My bro's Dyna (a SuperGlide) is a bit more maneuverable but tighter (physically less room). Note that the Dyna engine is rubber mounted (shakes at idle, still at speed) and the softail is solid mounted with balance shafts (still at idle and cruising, vibrates under hard throttle). You may like one better than the other.

All in all, get what you like the best. What you fit on. That you like the way it rides. That you like the way it looks. Both are awesome bikes that will meet virtually any need you have. Harley wouldn't be selling the number of Dyna's and Softails that they do if there was any tremendous difference or weakness in either. Buy a bike and go ride...
I just want to add to Steve's post. I've rented quite a few different harleys as well, and when I made the decision to purchase a Wide Glide, despite looks (which I think the WG is one of the best looking harleys), my decision was based mostly on comfort. I agree with steve, in that the dynas and softails ride fairly similarly (unless you're riding really hard, in which case, the dyna does have a more agreeable chassis for harder riding)...but for every day riding on the side streets, in the turns, etc, the bikes do handle and feel pretty similar. The dynas shake a little more, which is to be expected because of the rubber mounted engine..as opposed to the softail's counterbalanced engine.
But in the end, what sold me on the wide glide was the amount of room I had sitting on it. To me, the softails felt a little more cramped..if only slightly. The deuce is definitely a beatiful bike..and it's far from being cramped (which is how I felt on any other HD with mid-controls or floor boards)...same goes for the softail standard/custom/nitetrain. However, on my wide glide, I definitely sit a little bit higher, further back, and my feet are nice and stretched out (with the stock forward controls).
Bottom line is, you aren't making a mistake buying either bike...it all comes down to what looks better to you, and/or which is more comfortable. And of course, if you're tearing it up, neither bike is really the best for that, considering the long wheelbases, forward controls, and large rake.
And of course, something to keep in mind..even if you buy the bike that is the less comfortable of the two (for whatever reason)...you can still modify it to your taste...i.e. upgrade your seat, modify your suspension, forward control extensions, etc.
Good luck.

Todd

Old 03-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Chipstah
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost identical situation here - wanted a new Harley for my 60th. Struggled for almost a year with the same dilemma - came down to Nighttrain vs. Street Bob - in the end, after a lot of research, test rides, and talking with knowledgeable friends, and thinking long and hard about the type of riding I'd be doing, I went with the Street Bob. Saved money customzing it, got a great handling bike, less vibration, more comfortable riding position for me, and better suited to the backroad driving I do - seldom bar hopping or cruising smooth staight line interstates for any distance. Different strokes for different folks! But the Dyna family is truly great now with the upgraded suspension, frame and tranny last year and the 96 cu in engine this year. Think seriously about the type of riding you'll be doing and what you're really gonna love sitting on and riding the bejeezus out of!

Good luck!
Chip

Old 03-09-2007, 10:07 PM
99superglide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've ridden both a softail standard and a wideglide. The softy feels alot more top heavy at low traffic speed to me. The widehandles like you could drive acrossa highwire.Also as far as retail price goes a Wide is only about $1800 more than a softail standard. The wide comes with alot of bling, where as the standards look like a giant sheet of silver powder coat.(No offense to their owners at all), they are one awesome bike decked out with chrome. IMHO the wide is the"Cadillac" of the Dynas and isa far better value.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:15 PM
99superglide
Tourer

I just re-read your post and dicovered you meant softail custom. In that case< I'd still buy the wide. Practically the same price.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Pixs
Tourer

First Bike eah, I suspose you want to look cool and sound like a Harley big boy. Go rent the soft tail of your choice and get it out of your system.

When you wake up, get the Dyna, better handling, more guts, easier to work on and much smoother. Don't go nuts with the chrome, the whole idea of a Dyna is performance, Dynas deliver in Spades. Don't even say "you're going to keep it stock" aint gonna happen no matter what you buy. Never ever say the phrase "old school"!

Seriously, buy what you like, you should rent each for about a week of intense riding before you deside, good luck. Or you could just buy the Dyna and forgo the rental fees.
[sm=icon_cheers.gif] [sm=icon_guiness.gif]
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-10-2007, 12:09 AM
baxter
Road Warrior

i went from a sportster to a dyna bob. my bob that i rode out of the showroom was parked with a night train right beside it. i couldnt help but to go back and forth a couple times and while i did like the looks of the night train i loved the look of the dyna and saw more of myself in it and when i sat on it i felt that it fit like a glove, the softy didnt, the bob won me and felt like a damn winner riding it home with the biggest smile on my face in years.

i may be alil one sided now but alot of riders i run into or meet ask what i ride and i tell them and a few that ride cruisers , softail models in particular seem to have alot to say about their bikes and what its got rather then what they do and how much they actually enjoy riding it. im not saying that there alot of posers that buy softails because they think its more fashionable or cooler but it sure seems like it in alot of cases ive come in cotact with. just make sure you buy the bike you want because it fits right to you and not dont let price or popular image sway your descision. there are alot of die hard sportster riders out there that you cant tear off the damn things and i believe that is a person who rides for the right reasons and for themselves and could give a **** what others think. imo thats the way to go.

..............i just forgot what i was typing i apologize if my rant makes no sense at all . haha[8D]

Old 03-10-2007, 11:19 AM
jdr1014
1st Gear

I went from nearly 30 years of riding big bore sport bikes when I bought my 02 FXDL. I wanted good ride and handling and tried both Dyna & Softail. The basic Dyna platform just felt more secure to me and knowing that I would be doing a lot of customizing went with the FXDL over ST standard because of riding position & feel + it had black engine, chrome cases, covers, etc. I've done a lot to it, incl. 95", wheels,Progressive suspension front & rear, wide front end, seat changes, plus many more custom pieces. I'm 6'-2" and it fits perfectly, feels very secure and is easily converted to 2 up mode with detachable bags, windshield, etc. Very comfortable & stable 2up BTW. I like the option with my setup of going from a lean & clean street rod to a very capable touring rig in minutes. Sure I spent a lot of $ making the changes, but that'spart of the enjoyment with a Harley IMO. Of course it comes down to what you like and feels right for you and consideration of the type of riding you do. One thing about Softails is a wider availability of customizing accessories & parts. I really like the wider front end, hence my changeout. Not an issue with newer Dynas. The Wideglide of course has the wide front plus many "custom" touches already standard, so if you're thinking of adding a lot of stuff, the higher initial price may prove cheaper in the end. I still think the Dyna is a better handling platform and would be my pick again if doing it all over. Like I said, think through what you want to do in terms of personalization and the type of riding style.Have fun with your purchase & new ride!

Jim

ps - I highly recommend Progressive suspension components.....I went with 412 shocks + front springs, which were less than $300 total. Huge improvement in ride quality, control,stability, and preserving ground clearanceIMO Would think even more beneficial on a ST.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:55 PM
oakies
Advanced

Sit on them both....If yourtaller than 6'..The Softail Custom will feel cramped...Your way closer to the forward controls on the Softail than you are on a Wide Glide

Old 03-10-2007, 04:37 PM
2BKFXDL
Road Master

Dyna....hands down, at least for me. I am a tad over 6ft and weigh 205. With the forward controls I put on there are no size/comfort issues.

Dyna corners better and digs in better in my HO....that mattered to me cause I like that kind of performance. Softail is a bit more of a cushy ride but felt much less stable to me all things considered.

Have nearly 21k on my lowrider and have loved aver mile of it.

Get what suits you best......and enjoy it.!!!!

Old 03-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Bobberino
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I say Treat yourself.....get one of each

Quick Reply: Softail or Dyna??