Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just can"t get comfortable

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 09:47 AM
jim425
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How big/small are you? What have you ridden that you've been comfortable on?

Old 09-27-2013, 10:00 AM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

im 5-10 200 lbs and i have back problems and a stiff neck from whimp lash 28 yrs ago and a lot of arthrightass thru the body... ive been on suzukis yamahas hondas and several different harleys, i love the softtails but my wife wont let me ride hers

Old 09-27-2013, 03:19 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A better description would help.
Uncomfortable in what way?
Leaning forward too much, cramped legs or cramped hips?
I am using a C&C seat/back rest with kuryakyn forward controls with the reduced reach adapters, and stirrups. The bars came off a fat boy.
The back rest and stirrups were the main key for me to get comfortable.
Each person needs to have the bike to fit them, not you fitting the bike.
You want your elbows slightly bent, knees do not need to be straight. Some bend in them is needed. I have to have some back support or I can't really get relaxed. If you can not get a certain amount of being relaxed you will never be comfortable. you will remain tensed which will cause fatigue.
I made my own stirrups and reduced reach adapters.
You can spend a lot of $$ if you are not sure what is causing the discomfort.

Last edited by dirtdobber; 09-27-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:39 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,

Just keep riding man, short rides up to longer rides, every week, always gonna be a little uncomfortable, you get a bit crook sitting in a car

Fill the tank and enjoy the open road, drink water and do some stretching
Thanks
Mirrmu

Old 09-27-2013, 04:50 PM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Son, your not going to like this....but sounds to me like, your not concentrating on what that scooter is supose to do for you. Concentrate on the world as it wizzes by. Ponder the reasons your alive and lucky enough to live in a free country. Be thankful that magnificent machine is purring under your hinny and taking you anywhere you want to go. Stop nick picking the exact angle your elbo makes between your shoulder and your handle bars. Your body can adapt. Take all that money you've been flushing and use it for a road trip. Most of the boys watching you roll by are gonna wish they were you.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:43 PM
expy
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Montana Cowboy
Son, your not going to like this....but sounds to me like, your not concentrating on what that scooter is supose to do for you. Concentrate on the world as it wizzes by. Ponder the reasons your alive and lucky enough to live in a free country. Be thankful that magnificent machine is purring under your hinny and taking you anywhere you want to go. Stop nick picking the exact angle your elbo makes between your shoulder and your handle bars. Your body can adapt. Take all that money you've been flushing and use it for a road trip. Most of the boys watching you roll by are gonna wish they were you.
Condense that scenario down to a bumper sticker and I'll put it on my Truck! I still want to be as comfortable as possible though, stretch that road trip out a few extra miles.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:11 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by maddghost
ritalin = works every time!
Now thats funny

I'm 6 foot, 170lbs. I have a hd pillow top seat with forward controls and I believe the stock stock handlebars(bought the bike used) and I am very comfortable for the most part. Did 730-740 miles in 3 days recently and was very comfortable.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:38 AM
OCD-in-ATL
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
Each person needs to have the bike to fit them, not you fitting the bike.
You want your elbows slightly bent, knees do not need to be straight. Some bend in them is needed.
If you can not get a certain amount of being relaxed you will never be comfortable. you will remain tensed which will cause fatigue.
You can spend a lot of $$ if you are not sure what is causing the discomfort.
+1 on everything dirtdobber posted.

One of the great things about Harleys is that, with all the aftermarket parts, they're almost infinitely adjustable ergonomically. But you need to know what isn't right in order to fix it.

Arms or legs completely stretched out to reach the controls is bad for most people. Leaning back, unless you have a backrest, is also bad for most, as it forces you to hang on tight to the handlebars to stay upright. Legs far forward and leaning far forward, aka the clamshell position, curves your back, and is also bad for the majority.

Most people will be the most comfortable with arms slightly bent and legs bent. The less wind protections your bike has, the more you'll need to lean forward from vertical to prevent having to death-grip the bars to hang on at highway speeds. With a lot of wind protection, you can sit pretty close to straight up.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:16 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

You aren't being very specific.
What is it you aren't comfortable with?

Unlike most in here, I don't believe in throwing money at seats and bars.

Head out for 300 miles and your body will pinpoint what you need to look at.

My bike is basically stock and with a couple of small changes, I can ride it across the country without stopping.

Last edited by Jonesee; 09-28-2013 at 08:19 AM.