Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forum. Decel popping normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013 | 05:09 PM
hvymetl74
|
Stage I
Default New to forum. Decel popping normal?

I have a 2013 Switchback and just had a stage 1 kit installed (V&H 2 in 1 slip ons, Stage 1 EFI Screamin Eagle air cleaner kit and Sceamin Eagle super tuner) This is my first Harley and friends advised me to at least add the Stage 1. Got the work done at my local Harley dealer. I've noticed the bike has more power to it but is the decel popping normal? It gives off about 3 to 5 pops on deceleration. Should I be concerned? I think it sounds cool but I don't want to damage the engine in the long run. Please help a first time harley owner and first time forum member. Thanks.

Old 09-26-2013 | 05:40 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior

Well, its "normal" for some open (noisy) pipes.

Chances are the dealer put the standard stage-1 map on there, which is designed to work with Screamin Eagle slip-ons. They are a bit more baffled than your V&Hs and so its probably running lean when you shut the throttle.

You can tune around it if you are prepared to learn how to adjust the SEPST you have. Lot of threads here discuss it.

Old 09-26-2013 | 05:43 PM
David the Gnome
Intermediate

Mine popped like a **** when it was completely stock. I added the Vance & Hines slip-on and I don't think it pops any more than it did before but you can hear the pops a lot more with the slip-on so it sounds like it pops more even though it really doesn't. As far as damaging, no, it's not really hurting anything. I think it's just a product of the catalytic converter although I would have thought the aftermarket tuner you have would have reduced the popping at least a little. Hopefully another FLD owner on here will chime in who has full exhaust. I'm really hoping when I upgrade to a full exhaust system next year it will reduce the popping. It can get to be a little obnoxious at times.

Old 09-26-2013 | 07:16 PM
203Cree
Road Master

It's not an issue. Of course you're going to go lean when you shut the throttle.

Old 09-26-2013 | 07:34 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member

Try to send the super tuner back and get something better. No damage will come from a few pops.

Old 09-26-2013 | 07:50 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by hvymetl74
I have a 2013 Switchback and just had a stage 1 kit installed (V&H 2 in 1 slip ons, Stage 1 EFI Screamin Eagle air cleaner kit and Sceamin Eagle super tuner) This is my first Harley and friends advised me to at least add the Stage 1. Got the work done at my local Harley dealer. I've noticed the bike has more power to it but is the decel popping normal? It gives off about 3 to 5 pops on deceleration. Should I be concerned? I think it sounds cool but I don't want to damage the engine in the long run. Please help a first time harley owner and first time forum member. Thanks.
Welcome to the forum and Congrats on your new Ride!

V&H are particularly prone to letting you hear the decel pop. It does it with the stock slip-ons also...just can't hear it as well.

It does not damage anything, it is just un-burnt fuel in the exhaust tract that is burning.

Old 09-26-2013 | 08:27 PM
Baird
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Excuse the intrusion here, but I always thought that popping in the mufflers was unburned fuel that ignited while in the muffler, (closure of throttle, lots of vacuum, draws in unneeded fuel)which I assumed was a "rich" condition, but I have read in this thread and some others that this is a "lean" symptom. What gives?

Old 09-26-2013 | 08:50 PM
highwayman1224
Road Master

Originally Posted by maddghost
Try to send the super tuner back and get something better. No damage will come from a few pops.
There's nothing wrong with a super tuner.

Old 09-26-2013 | 09:08 PM
vdop
Road Master

Originally Posted by maddghost
Originally Posted by highwayman1224
There's nothing wrong with a super tuner.
Correct, nothing at all wrong with a super tuner. They work great if you know how to use them.
Originally Posted by Baird
Excuse the intrusion here, but I always thought that popping in the mufflers was unburned fuel that ignited while in the muffler, (closure of throttle, lots of vacuum, draws in unneeded fuel)which I assumed was a "rich" condition, but I have read in this thread and some others that this is a "lean" symptom. What gives?
95% of the time it's a lean condition. I have had a few cases out of hundreds where it wants alittle less fuel, depends on the exhaust.

No, it's not hurting anything. It can be tuned out though.

Old 09-26-2013 | 09:43 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Baird
What gives?
Nothing gives. As a couple of others have stated, the decel backfire happens with stock mufflers too, but it's much less noticeable, because that's what the stock mufflers do..... muffle noise.

You can tune it out by taking the fuel-air mixture to a non-combustible ratio on decel, but the popping isn't an indication of a mixture problem.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 09-26-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: New to forum. Decel popping normal?