Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forum. Decel popping normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013 | 02:28 PM
HYPR
Road Master

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
It's been acknowledged that decel pop can usually be tuned out. The question is whether it's indicative of a bad tune.

Take the 55 or 56 Chevy in your avatar picture:
If it has a manual transmission and a carburetor, you probably know that if you're driving along, turn off the ignition for a few seconds, and turn it back on, you'll get a huge bang in the exhaust. There was nothing wrong with the fuel-air mixture. It was fine, about the same as when you were driving along. It's just that it didn't get ignited in the engine.
Not even close to the same thing. The '56 has a carb motor with a fairly mild built 383 Stroker 500HP/478FT. Don't have nearly the tuning flexibility and ability to dial in every throttle position capability as a computer controlled EFI motor. The SEPRT as well as others allow for fine tuning throughout the entire RPM range and every throttle position imaginable. That is the advantage to a state of the art tuner in the hands of someone like Drew at Firebreathing Industries on a modern Chassis Dyno. He can emulate load, temperature, etc. reproducing practically every condition a rider is typically going to experience out on the road.
Decel Poping on a computer controlled EFI motor can be tuned out while delivering maximum performance under most conditions.
Bob

Last edited by HYPR; 09-28-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-28-2013 | 06:47 PM
coop creek
Road Captain

Take it back and make them take out the pop. I absolutely cannot stand the sound. I have a 2007, stage 1, SEPST tuner. Despite repeated visits to the dealer's dynojet, the techs were not able to fix it, I think they made it worse actually. I subsequently found an independent tuner who retuned the bike. Now there is no popping, and it runs great. You need to find a competent tuner.

Old 09-28-2013 | 08:31 PM
splicer
Advanced

Originally Posted by coop creek
Take it back and make them take out the pop. I absolutely cannot stand the sound. I have a 2007, stage 1, SEPST tuner. Despite repeated visits to the dealer's dynojet, the techs were not able to fix it, I think they made it worse actually. I subsequently found an independent tuner who retuned the bike. Now there is no popping, and it runs great. You need to find a competent tuner.
I second this advise

Old 09-29-2013 | 06:40 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HYPR
Not even close to the same thing. The '56 has a carb motor with a fairly mild built 383 Stroker 500HP/478FT. Don't have nearly the tuning flexibility and ability to dial in every throttle position capability as a computer controlled EFI motor. The SEPRT as well as others allow for fine tuning throughout the entire RPM range and every throttle position imaginable. That is the advantage to a state of the art tuner in the hands of someone like Drew at Firebreathing Industries on a modern Chassis Dyno. He can emulate load, temperature, etc. reproducing practically every condition a rider is typically going to experience out on the road.
Decel Poping on a computer controlled EFI motor can be tuned out while delivering maximum performance under most conditions.
Bob
You're missing the point. The OP likes/doesn't mind the decel pop, and was asking if it's a problem. Some people volunteered that it's indicative of a bad tune. That's not necessarily true. The tune can have ideal fuel-air mixtures (for power, combustion and longevity) all across the map, and still have decel pop.

A dealer may be unwilling to tune it out (assuming they know how), because it would probably increase emissions, and there can be some pretty stiff penalties for alterations which increase emissions. Jesse James was fined $271,000.00 for producing non-emission-compliant bikes.
Vance and Hines was fined half-a-million.
"Biker's Choice" was fined half-a-million for selling non-compliant parts.

As a general rule, it's also illegal to modify any emission-certified system in any way, and the ECM is part of an emission certified system. Harley may have obtained CARB or EPA approval for their dealer-download tunes. That would not necessarily mean that they are authorized to tweak them further.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 09-29-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-29-2013 | 02:42 PM
fskitch
Road Master

Originally Posted by thedonthere
shouldn't pop at all....bad tune
agree 100%....I quit reading this post after the guy asked if you have supporting data...HA HA!
Very classy to ignore that silly question. My bike with PCIII arlen ness big sucker and rinehart slip ons popped like crazy....Dyno tune and now no decel pop at all. So my opinion is decel pop completely avoidable. Not normal unless bike aint tuned right.

Old 09-29-2013 | 03:55 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by fskitch
agree 100%....I quit reading this post after the guy asked if you have supporting data...HA HA!
Very classy to ignore that silly question.
LOL, then you missed a lot.
Do you also plug your ears, and sing "La la la I can't hear you" when someone says something you don't want to hear?

Last edited by Warp Factor; 09-29-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-29-2013 | 04:34 PM
Mogee
Intermediate

I had the dealer do a stage 1 when I put on a V&H pro pipe 2:1 and a V&H Drak Black intake. Noticeably better performance over stock, but I did have a fair amount of decel pop. Decided I wanted to install an HD Heavy Breather so I bought an SST tuner and had the dealer dyno tune it. Huge gains in performance after the dyno with absolutely no decel pop. I didn't mind the popping. I thought it sounded cool. I have a 13 Wide Glide. On a side note, if anyone is interested in the Drak intake email or pm me. Ride safe...

Old 09-29-2013 | 06:12 PM
vdop
Road Master

You're missing the point. The OP likes/doesn't mind the decel pop, and was asking if it's a problem. Some people volunteered that it's indicative of a bad tune. That's not necessarily true. The tune can have ideal fuel-air mixtures (for power, combustion and longevity) all across the map, and still have decel pop.
Ignorance keeps dragging this thread along. This post pretty much sums it up. Whether or not the op's tune is correct, fixing the decel pop does NOT require a complete retune, and DYNO tuning has little to nothing to do with the decel pop anyway.

Last edited by vdop; 09-29-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-29-2013 | 06:24 PM
fskitch
Road Master

LOL, then you missed a lot.
Do you also plug your ears, and sing "La la la I can't hear you" when someone says something you don't want to hear?
had some time to kill and read all the posts. Still agree with the Frank Zappa guy. You made some good points and I can tell you know a little about internal combustion engines. But to say decel popping is normal is plain stupid. If the OP likes it then he can let 'er pop. I think it sounds like a big fat woman on the toilet after a couple cans of pork and beans. A good dyno tune can eliminate popping. My argument isn't whether its good for the motor or not its whether tuned right or not. Pipes, air intake and fuel management systems need to be dialed in to eliminate decel popping. Warp Factor--your kinda full of yourself don't cha think? Okay now I'm done with this silly argument.

Old 09-29-2013 | 06:33 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by fskitch
Warp Factor--your kinda full of yourself don't cha think?
No opinion, haven't given it much thought. I enjoy thinking about engines more than about myself.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 09-29-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply: New to forum. Decel popping normal?