Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach/Speedo Combo Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 10:33 PM
2010 Merlot FXDC
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach/Speedo Combo Question

I just bought a 2010 FXDC that has the P/N 70900072A speedo/tach installed. The dealer installed it before I bought it, I watched it count down the 31 miles after I put gas in it the first time I fueled it. My question I, how many tanks of gas will I have to put in it before the range function begins to work, or do I have another problem? I have put gas in it 5 times, but never more than about 3 gallons each time. Thanks in advance for any help. Also, can anyone tell me how many of these bikes were built with the Merlot/Red paint scheme? Thanks again.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:00 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It changes by the mpg you get. Least wise my street glide does.
If I am getting say 44 mpg and fill up it will show more but If I have been riding hard and getting say 38 mpg then when I fill up it will show less.
When riding on back roads I get good mpg, around 44 when I fill up it will show around 276 miles, I have a 6 gallon tank. If I have been riding on the interstate I get around 38-39mpg and when I fill up it may show 228
If the speedo and tach operates the same then that is why you are seeing different numbers.
After filling it takes a few for it to give you actual mileage. It will not change until you start moving for a mile +-.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:53 PM
2010 Merlot FXDC
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone in here have any answers to my questions?

Old 10-08-2013, 09:40 PM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

From the Speedo/Tach Install Sheet:

Battery Reconnection and Initialization.

After the battery is reconnected or a new gauge is installed, the gauge requires about a half tank of fuel to properly initialize fuel range (miles to empty) functionality.

During consumption of the first full tank of fuel, the gauge software will begin the process of
learning your riding patterns, eventually tailoring the fuel range calculations to your unique riding characteristics.

The fuel level display and tank mounted fuel gauge may not match at all times when starting with a full tank of fuel. The tank fuel gauge utilizes a continuous sweep needle to indicate fuel level, while the speedo/tach fuel level utilizes a segmented display. Each segment represents 1/8 of a tank. For example, if a given segment just came on or is about to go off, it would show no change, while the needle on the tank mounted gauge would likely show a change in position.

Fuel Fill-up and Top-off.

When adding fuel to the vehicle it is recommended you add at least 2 gallons of fuel to update the fuel and range displays. If the fuel display does not update immediately after the vehicle is put in motion the fuel and range displays will slowly update over the next 30 miles.
~