Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any experience: Dealer installed Big Radius & Tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013 | 09:17 AM
sigtau150
Cruiser

I was bouncing back and forth between those and the Big Shots on my FXDB and asked the dealer... They said $190+tax to install the pipes. I vote on the DIY route too. I am FAR from being handy and I did it myself in a few hours. Saved ~$200 and have the satisfaction of saying that I did it myself.

Also, definitely hit up Fuelmoto for the pipes and the tuner. You'll get a better price on the pipes and having them to call if you have any questions or need help tuning after, they are more than willing to help you out.

Last edited by sigtau150; 09-23-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-23-2013 | 09:20 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1dark883
So if you install your own exhaust you void your factory warranty?
That's news to me...and my dealer. I installed my own V&H Big Radius and PV Tuner before my 1000 mile service, and have had two warranty repairs since...no issues.

But the service manager at SD Harley on Kettner isn't a dick, so YMMV.

OP, if you can tighten a nut with a socket wrench, you can do you own exhaust. There are plenty of youtube videos to guide you through it. Just work slow and easy so you don't scratch anything. Even if you don't get the flanges properly seated which is about the worst you can do (besides breaking off the studs by over torquing), you just loosen them and reseat then re-torque.

If you still want to pay your dealer to do it because of time/hassle/whatever, do NOT pay them to hook up your PV and map.

The PV just plugs in to your diagnostic port in the fuse box. It would take you less than 5 minutes to hook up and flash a better canned map than what your dealer will give you, but your dealer will probably charge an hour of labor to do it.

Old 09-23-2013 | 09:53 AM
camden
Tourer

I've had two dealers give me that line of BS about installing intake/exhaust on my own voids the warranty. Read up on it and you'll find the law favors the consumer. Unless the moco and/or dealer can prove the work you did was the direct cause of the problem, they're obligated by law to honor the warranty. They may not like it and they may try to screw you over, but the law is the law. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

With that said... I'll be picking up my 2014 Street Bob tomorrow and as soon as I have enough cash, I'm buying Big Shots, a FM Billet A/C, and a PowerVision from Fuel Moto and I plan on installing everything myself.

Old 09-23-2013 | 10:46 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

A canned map will get it close, but there's no replacement for a good dyno tune to get it spot on. Do you want it close, or perfect? It's your bike, just my thoughts.
Get it broke in, then get it properly dyno tuned. Best $350 or so that you'll spend.

Old 09-23-2013 | 01:16 PM
rgr357
Tourer

Hmmm.. so what about the 1000 mile checkup? Trying to say that is required too...

I dont want to screw up my warranty, but I also cant stand the thought of some punk *** novice screwing up on over tightening drain bolts etc.

Now Im really kicking myself for letting them touch it in the 1st place... I hate it when the only one you can be pissed off at is yourself!

Old 09-23-2013 | 01:20 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member

My dealer (again, not a dick) said as long you have receipts for the materials, no problem.

Originally Posted by rgr357
Hmmm.. so what about the 1000 mile checkup? Trying to say that is required too...

I dont want to screw up my warranty, but I also cant stand the thought of some punk *** novice screwing up on over tightening drain bolts etc.

Now Im really kicking myself for letting them touch it in the 1st place... I hate it when the only one you can be pissed off at is yourself!

Old 09-23-2013 | 01:50 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master

Originally Posted by rgr357

Your warranty is only as good as your documentation. Buy a service manual and keep records. Document your work "by the book". Then they have to prove negligence.