Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Fast as hell
13.46%
Pretty fast
32.69%
Medium
48.08%
Slow
5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

How quick are your shifts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 03:46 AM
dynalowride
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How quick are your shifts?

Coming from a sportbike background I'd just like to see what you guys do?

Old 03-08-2007, 05:01 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,109 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Default RE: How quick are your shifts?

quote]ORIGINAL: dynalowride

Coming from a sportbike background I'd just like to see what you guys do?
[/quote]

Yeah, you shift it and move on along.

Unless of course you're fartin around,
then just whatever.

mud

Old 03-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Arcane
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This poll is like the one about “How quick do you operate the clutch lever, fast or slow?”
I have never given it any thought, I just ride and shift when I need or want to. Perhaps some of the other members can come up with a definitive answer to this question. I don’t know, maybe a recommended lapse time for shifting. I am sure that the motoring public would notice it and converse about it. “Those bikers look kind of scruffy but did you notice that they all shift using exactly the same amount of time to operate the shift lever.”

I think Mud got it right, “You shift and move on along.”
Arcane

Old 03-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Bobber Jay
Tourer

Its a mad question really , i shift when i hear the engine tell me so , mmmm yeah thing i have noticed with UK driving is the speed limits are all too damn slow , feels like i cant really use 5th and 6th unless i am on the motorway.
30mph on most urban roads man its a battle between 2nd and 3rd , 2nd seems to low and 3rd too high !

-=BJ=-

Old 03-08-2007, 06:03 PM
JoeWV
Advanced

I just came from a sportbike too. The shifting is very different, its been kinda hard getting used to. Love the new Dyna though, I wouldnt go back.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Bear64
Banned

Shifting gears

One must consider the style of riding that one is doing. sometimes those that you ride with may dictate to you how fast you shift, now if I'm riding with the old retired guys, then I of course short shift, you do know how to do that?? then if I'm riding with some go fast guys then of course I never use the clutch when I shift, just bang gears.. now if one is with the shriners, just pop it into 2nd and forget it..when riding with a small group and if your leading then you set the pace and then you can determine when the shifting is done by the style that you ride, that is if they want to keep up or go as slow as you want to..Shifting is all in the mind anyway, some do it without thinking of it, others have to ponder each and every shift that they make. for myself I have been riding so long now that I don't even give it any thought, so, oh so soon I fear they will come out with automatic transmissions for bikes and now we have a whole new ballgame, do you follow the Cubs, oops off topic, sorry about that, where was I oh right shifting? well listen Grasshopper, just do as those that you ride with, and all will be ok. [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif][sm=laughat.gif][sm=boink3.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 03-09-2007, 01:23 AM
dynalowride
Advanced

The reason i ask is because my honda civic manual tells me to gradually release the clutch while adding gas to upshift. But i never gradually release my clutch, i just get off the gas, clutch shift then dump the clutch then give it gas (this take like .2 seconds) so that there is little or no slip between shifts. not sure if this is a good idea though for a harley, you know with all the torque. some people i notice that they clutch in, shift, then wait for the rpms to fall then get on the gas. is this granny shifting? i cant stand driving or riding that way. it seems so lazy and one thing i dont have is patience enoughto lose momentum.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:30 AM
Bear64
Banned

wow, that isso sad[&o][&o][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]you poor guy, do you lose much sleep over this?[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

Old 03-09-2007, 03:37 AM
dynalowride
Advanced

Ok mr know itt all. why dont you explain to me what short shifting is? Im only 21 years old so i need a lesson or two.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:48 AM
Bear64
Banned

Shifting before it is tine according to the rpm scale, if you should shift at 3500 but shift at 2500 that is short shifting..Your owners manual will say to shift from 1st to 2nd at 25 MPH but to shift at 20mph hour is short shifting.

Quick Reply: How quick are your shifts?