Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stator bolts came loose...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 01:06 AM
HoolyNI
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stator bolts came loose...

All of them!

And yes its an 06

Am looking at a £600 repair bill, that's on top of the £200 I forked out to get the IPB repaired last year.

Are there any steps I can take to avoid the bolts coming loose in another 20k? Or should I cut my losses and look for a newer model?

Also I'v read that I should have heard noise coming from the primary as these bolts rattled around, but I heard nothing unusual, the only indication anything was wrong was when the battery light came on.

Last edited by HoolyNI; 09-20-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:25 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the threads in the case are not damaged, replace the bolts using a dab of blue Loctite on the threads. I use it on almost all bolts/nuts, works great, disassembles easily and needn't be refreshed when bolts are reused. Harleys vibrate!

Old 09-20-2013, 02:13 AM
HoolyNI
Cruiser

I appreciate that Harleys vibrate but presumably the nuts would have had loctite applied during the original build? Could the heat build-up in the primary have caused them to come loose this time? Would spot-welding be a better option?

Any idea why I didn't hear any abnormal sounds from the primary as these things came loose? Am guessing they didn't all just fall off overnight and I'd read elsewhere that it should have sounded like marbles in a blender, which it definitely didn't...

Old 09-20-2013, 05:44 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Assuming you're talking about the chronic 06 rotor bolt problem, you can either replace the rotor and stator with 07 parts, or use the updated kit Harley supplies for the 06. Both are one-piece rather than bolted. I'd use those parts as long as you're in there and be done with it, rather than gambling with the bolted part.

You're probably right that the original assembly was loctited. At least there seemed to be threadlocker residue on my bolts.

Maybe it's because my pipes are kind of loud, but I didn't hear a thing either.

I don't know of a permanent and inexpensive solution for the inner primary bearing problem yet. Some people say they've done well with the Baker replacement part, and others have had problems with it. Best I can suggest right now is to make sure the snap ring is aligned in such a way that it doesn't restrict the oil hole in the inner primary. There also might be benefit from enlarging that hole, or flaring it at the top, so the bearing gets a little more lubrication.
The best fix seems to be replacing the inner primary and transmission case with the later doweled parts, but that's some pretty major money. Probably cheaper though than switching bikes. Another option would be to purchase the extended service plan. I don't know if it's available, or reasonably priced where you are.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:34 AM
escherWG
Cruiser

I just actually had mine welded. Noticed this while I was in there swapping the pulley. 3 of the bolts were loose and coming out.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:46 PM
jpicht
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stator Fix

I just had to replace my Clutch Hub bearing. While I was in there, I had a friend who is a welder tack the bolts(he also owns a shop: All American Hawg). I figured as long as "Ethel" was apart, why not prevent future problems.

By the way, the IPB seems to be in great shape so far (knock on wood). While inside, we checked and I do not have the doweled cases. Hope I'm not a time bomb waiting to go off.

2006 FXDi35 with 14,700 miles (bought her with 4400 miles two years ago). Couldn't ride daily because I drop kids off at school every day.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:17 PM
HoolyNI
Cruiser

Thanks all for replies, think the one piece is the way to go. My own pipes are quite loud but I still detected the change in tone when the ipb went, absolutely no noise this time despite 8 bolts rattling around in there. Emailed HD in the UK but they don't want to know, they just say they recommend repacing ipb every 15000 miles, think I'll be trading it in for a street bob come spring...

Old 09-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Kevinsmidt
Cruiser

Red loc tite/weld, 07 parts or new scoot.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:28 AM
HoolyNI
Cruiser

Got price for parts today, and its not pretty, looking at £337 for the stator kit and £220 for the rectifier!! Is there any chance my rectifier could have survived the stator being damaged??

Old 09-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by HoolyNI
Got price for parts today, and its not pretty, looking at £337 for the stator kit and £220 for the rectifier!! Is there any chance my rectifier could have survived the stator being damaged??
Assuming you mean what we usually call the voltage regulator, mine was fine.

Quick Reply: Stator bolts came loose...