Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questionable Performance Parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013 | 12:37 AM
crllrc2
|
4th Gear
Default Questionable Performance Parts

Hey guys/gals,

I have been "googling" all over this website for something regarding the Dyno numbers I'm seeing and the performance mods I can "See" I inherited my 2002 FXDWG, and it is BADASS! I know it has stage 1 SE intake, Mikuni 42 Carb, and TH exhaust. Went to a bike night recently where they had Harley of Dallas bring out their Mobil dyno. I ran 79hp and 91lbs/tq "rich". From a 4th gear pull as soon as the Tech hit the Gas A/F ratio dropped to 10 all the way through redline. I have since leaned out the carb and working through lil issues that I have noticed since leaning it out. I haveabsolutely NO PROBLEM with those numbers over stock but I'm at a loss for what could be done to this bike cause from what I am seeing around the web is that 88ci with those 3 things is below 91lbs/tq. I know this seems like a stupid concern but I don't wanna spend money on new cams or something like that if it already has them.

I am sorry for the "book" but please any help/guidance would be grateful...

Thanks

Rich

Old 09-20-2013 | 01:21 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior

Those mobile dynos, particularly at shows, are more about impressing people than accuracy. The operators are looking for business and making people think they can get 10%+ more power than another tuning shop by messing with the dyno is one way to do it.

In other words, don't trust those numbers you have for a second.

Old 09-20-2013 | 10:06 AM
crllrc2
|
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Foxster
Those mobile dynos, particularly at shows, are more about impressing people than accuracy. The operators are looking for business and making people think they can get 10%+ more power than another tuning shop by messing with the dyno is one way to do it.

Well I can see your logic however, there were guys with S&2 124 running 140lbs/tq... which is about accurate... and I saw multiple dynos not just mine... and the numbers were accurate to the type of bike. a 1200 sportster dyno'd mid 70lbs/tq. but I will keep that in mind. however, I can eat my uncles SG 96 and my moms 103 and they both have mods. Just trying to get to the bottom of this... thanks

Old 09-20-2013 | 07:47 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master

Ok, first off I have to say I am not a wrench. That being said my bike has stage 1 with V & H pipes, and S & S 510 cams. I took it in to be Dyno'd because it was pinging. Chris Revis who is the local speed guru came up with 79 HP and 89 FT LBS. The pinging got worse!!! I took the bike to Fresno Harley and they had to rebuild my CV carb. Problem fixed. My question is, how accurate can that Dyno be if he couldn't even tell my carb sucked?

Old 09-20-2013 | 07:53 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by crllrc2
Hey guys/gals,

I have been "googling" all over this website for something regarding the Dyno numbers I'm seeing and the performance mods I can "See" I inherited my 2002 FXDWG, and it is BADASS! I know it has stage 1 SE intake, Mikuni 42 Carb, and TH exhaust. Went to a bike night recently where they had Harley of Dallas bring out their Mobil dyno. I ran 79hp and 91lbs/tq "rich". From a 4th gear pull as soon as the Tech hit the Gas A/F ratio dropped to 10 all the way through redline. I have since leaned out the carb and working through lil issues that I have noticed since leaning it out. I haveabsolutely NO PROBLEM with those numbers over stock but I'm at a loss for what could be done to this bike cause from what I am seeing around the web is that 88ci with those 3 things is below 91lbs/tq. I know this seems like a stupid concern but I don't wanna spend money on new cams or something like that if it already has them.

I am sorry for the "book" but please any help/guidance would be grateful...

Thanks

Rich
You can open up your cam chest and see what is in there.

Old 09-21-2013 | 12:00 AM
crllrc2
|
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Uncle Chester
You can open up your cam chest and see what is in there.
Is there fluid inside the cam chest and how would I be able to tell are there stamps on the ends of the cams?

Old 09-21-2013 | 12:05 AM
crllrc2
|
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Two Lane Tramp
Ok, first off I have to say I am not a wrench. That being said my bike has stage 1 with V & H pipes, and S & S 510 cams. I took it in to be Dyno'd because it was pinging. Chris Revis who is the local speed guru came up with 79 HP and 89 FT LBS. The pinging got worse!!! I took the bike to Fresno Harley and they had to rebuild my CV carb. Problem fixed. My question is, how accurate can that Dyno be if he couldn't even tell my carb sucked?
That seems suspect but I'm glad it's better now!

Old 09-21-2013 | 12:23 AM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by crllrc2
Is there fluid inside the cam chest and how would I be able to tell are there stamps on the ends of the cams?
There's a little fluid in there, the cams I've dealt with have all had markings. There's a lot of brands/manufacturers though so I cant say for sure if they all are marked. Even if they are not marked though you could probably tell by the lobes if they stock or not. Here's a couple pics of to give you a idea. If you open it up I would recommend getting a service manual first, also you could take it to a shop and have them sort it out for you. Depends on how curious you are, it would kill me not knowing.

Here's a set of woods 555's.

Here's some stockers, notice the difference in how wide and steep the lobes are.

Old 09-21-2013 | 12:35 AM
loopie
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Foxster

I totally agree use a dyno for AFR ,but never believe HP figures it has too many varibles (temp, operator,bullshit_) I love Harleys but if im trying too achieve max output ,im on the wrong bike for high HP,