Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat bob not comfortable

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Hogi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat bob not comfortable

Just trade my FXDL 1995 after 17 years and 3 months.
pull the trigger on 2009 FB bone-stock with 16000 mils.

I have to get use to the new bike but I find it not comfortable for me:
I'm short guy and the nice looking drag handlebar are too far for me - need to change the risers -any suggestions?

The forward foot shifter and brake are also to far.
Do any one know how to make the shifter and brake closer by 1-1/5 inch?

Old 09-14-2013, 06:45 PM
SASKMUDDER
Novice

Congrats on the new scoot. Check out some different seating options such as a reduced reach. Might solve your problem.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:58 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Gratz bro, but if i may ask, why did you buy a bike that does not fit? O well new seat and risers and your good to go. Ride on out and fall in love with that girl!

Old 09-14-2013, 07:22 PM
98SS1LWEE
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maddghost
Gratz bro, but if i may ask, why did you buy a bike that does not fit?
I'll take this one for you... You take what you can get, that's why!!! Says a 6'2" guy on an 06 Low Rider. I'm too big for it, but deal came up and wife doesn't let me wheel and deal much. Share your money tree and I'll send him my Low rider and buy a new Wide Glide!

Old 09-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Badders
6th Gear

I'm struggling like you so I've ordered Harley's reduced reach foot control kit for the Fatbob. Apparently it raises the pegs and controls and brings them back about 1 1/2 inches. Part no. 50700005

I also fitted the solo Sundowner seat and found it made things worse! I'm sure it's moved me backwards.

Last edited by Badders; 09-14-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:33 PM
mojo6677
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats in the new bike!! When I first bought mine I loved it then after ridding it for about 9 months my back started hurting . My solution was going with 14" z bars since then it's been a much better ride!

Old 09-14-2013, 11:06 PM
switzead
Cruiser

Im right at 6 foot. I got the spacers from spacer Jim (http://www.spacerjim.com/HarleySpacers.html). They moved the bar back just enough to keep my elbows at a slight bend. You could also add the wide glide bars and keep the same look while getting some additional reach out of the bars. I would go with a new seat to move you slightly forward as the stock seat is comfortable on short rides but is stiff after 2-3 hours. I also added mid peg mounts and mid pegs to have a place to move my feet on the longer trips.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:02 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

I'm 5'6 and have mid controls which I like. You also might consider the Switchback floorboard conversion. If you go for a new seat, try the before changing anything else as it is the cheapest option and might change what else you need to address. The good news is that anything you need to make the bike fit better can be done. Fatbob is a great bike. Enjoy!

Old 09-15-2013, 02:22 AM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogi
Just trade my FXDL 1995 after 17 years and 3 months.
pull the trigger on 2009 FB bone-stock with 16000 mils.

I have to get use to the new bike but I find it not comfortable for me:
I'm short guy and the nice looking drag handlebar are too far for me - need to change the risers -any suggestions?

The forward foot shifter and brake are also to far.
Do any one know how to make the shifter and brake closer by 1-1/5 inch?
Dude, chill. I am 5'6" with only a 29" inseam so I share your experience.
No issues here, a Reduced seat (I have a perfect one for Sale at less than 1/2 price with 1000 miles on it) and a set of floor boards or reduced reach kit will take care of everything. No need to do anything with the bars as I for example, have a 33" sleeve length and bar reach is no problem. My issue is I am a 6 foot frame with Smirf legs and arms clocking in at 195 pounds. If this is similar to your build then these changes will make you love your bike.
I installed boards before HD offered the kit. I had a reduced reach seat and still have it in a box after installing a Saddlemen Exployer for more long ride comfort for the wife. Reach is no problem as I can flat foot with both feet and sit comfy even on long rides and curves.
I am an ex-Road Racer and although I have slowed way down I still like to lean it hard at speed. I installed Nylocks on the boards so the flex up on real tight curves just like pegs without upsetting the bike. My typical ride is 200-300 mile clips and no arm pain or back issues. The hard grips do need to go though, and will this month.
Bob

Last edited by HYPR; 09-15-2013 at 03:01 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:43 AM
Hogi
Cruiser

Originally Posted by maddghost
Gratz bro, but if i may ask, why did you buy a bike that does not fit? O well new seat and risers and your good to go. Ride on out and fall in love with that girl!
I'm living in Israel - and ther is no HD dealer now. so - looking for bike mean you find used or import by yourself.
I love the Swichback and start to deel with importing papers. Than i want to traid-in dealer just to get qout to my Dyna, and ther he stood in the corner - 2009 black denim low mills total stock. seat on it and did not fil it's to far [it's ok in the city, just in the long and fast milles its not good.]
Went home and didnt sleep all night! have to have it.

Now, i can start to swich it to Swichback but its lot of $$$$$$$$$$ to do so. my FXDL was 'home-made' mini Road king long before HD made the SB. I know what i want and need, but when the time to sale came - no body will give you nothing for the mods.

more then that - I'm siting at the drive way and looking at him - he is one of HD best looking bikes, he is perfect and any mods can spoild it.

Last edited by Hogi; 09-15-2013 at 04:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Fat bob not comfortable