Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Cable Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 05:45 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Clutch Cable Swap

Isaw in here somewhere about changing out the clutch cable w/o opening up the trans access cover? I would like to hear from someone with experienceas to exactly how it is done.

Is it like fishing? Or is it a pretty sure and easy thing to do. I would say I am a moderately experienced do-it-yourself'er. I'm doing a bar swap in a few days and would like to forego opening the trans cover, but will if I have to.

Thanks,
MV

Old 03-07-2007, 05:55 PM
tb2377
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Clutch Cable Swap

I would like the same thing. I'm doing my bars now too. the clutch cable is one piece. I opend the adjer section and its one cable inside. Unless there is a way to take off the eyelet and you can use the stock insides and just change the outsides.......HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Anyone know?

Old 03-07-2007, 06:20 PM
kzad
Advanced

I just did mine last week-end ('05 fxdli), the tranny cover has to come off. I have the service manual, with that as a reference it was pretty easy. You'll need a decent set of internal snap ring pliers, the ring on the inside is pretty stiff.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:31 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

yeah, I haven't heard of this... and from the one time I did it, I can't believe it is possible without taking off the cover.

and I secodn the internal circlip pliers... that f'er in there is a beeeooooccch. I somehow managed to do it without the pliers, but never again. I have a set now.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:59 PM
thebestofindica
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heres pics, its easy!

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1328001/tm.htm

Old 03-07-2007, 10:09 PM
soup48
Road Captain

Thanks thebestofindica for pics. Question would it be possible just to move the cable so the connetion can be unhooked without removing the snapring.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:42 AM
thebestofindica
Tourer

Yes!

Old 03-08-2007, 12:53 AM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So I guess I'll disconect my cable from my clutch perch and have my pops hold/spin it while I unscrew the set nut on the trans case mount. Then I should be able to unhook it from the ramp hookinside the trans case from outside the trans, with out taking the trans cover off?

To replace with the new cable, I'll just fish it inside the trans until I catch the ramp hook with the cable end?

Certainly sounds do-able in theory. If it doesn't work, Iguess it's no big deal if I have to pull the case cover off, which will also mean I'll have to pull my upper pipe off.

Whenusing either one of these methods, do I lose a lot of fluid that I'll have to replace?

Thanks again ya'll for your help.

MV

Old 03-08-2007, 01:19 AM
thebestofindica
Tourer

Yeah, disconnect the cable from the lever. Drain the tranny (pretty much a must), then remove the side cover, remove cable from inside side cover and spin the cable out of the side cover and reverse the steps. Pretty easy.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:34 AM
carltex
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: kzad

I just did mine last week-end ('05 fxdli), the tranny cover has to come off. I have the service manual, with that as a reference it was pretty easy. You'll need a decent set of internal snap ring pliers, the ring on the inside is pretty stiff.
I'm with kzad, good snapring pliers are a must. I got a pair that has seperate tips and reverses directions at Oreillys Auto Parts for $12. I don't see how the swap could be done without taking the cover off. It's fairly simple to do.

Quick Reply: Clutch Cable Swap