Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bassani Road Rage, Model Clarification and Questions??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 08:10 AM
hutch08
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bassani Road Rage, Model Clarification and Questions??

So I'm looking at a new pipe for my 2001 T-Sport and have the Bassani's in mind. I know a lot of guys like the Thunderheader but I'm not overly a huge fan of their look and I've heard of more than one bracket breaking.

First off, I notice 4 different road rage pipes on Bassanis website that'll fit my bike:

1D18RB - Road Rage II B1, fits 91-2013

13222J Road Rage Short Megaphone, fits 91-2005

1D12RB Road Rage II Mega Series, 91-2013

1D5250B Road Rage Short Un-stepped, 91-2013

To the the best of my knowledge,

The road rage II's are obviosuly the newer models, offered in B1 and Mega.

From what I've read the B1 is designed for big motor builds (110+) and the Mega is more for stock internals... yah think they named them backwards, haha. The both say they have 1 3/4 - 1 7/8 stepped headers but the mufflers look like one has a larger diameter muffler??

The 13222J looks the same as the new Mega, but has a different end cap and only fits the 91-2005 models. Doesn't looks as kicked up either. How do the rest fit up to 2013, but not this one???

Lastky the 1D5250B, assumming its the un-stepped version of the original road rage. I honestly like the look of this pipe the best, and how short it is. The pipes are side by side rather than on top of eachother, how does that compare ground clearance wise? Also, I wonder if there's actually a power difference not having the stepped header pipes. They say theycome with heat shields, can anyone confirm this?

Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

I'm looking for comments on:

Ground clearance, what touches first, pegs or pipes?

Performance, any dyno graphs, motor specs?

Bag clearance, I need to clear my T-Sport bags, can't afford to cook them?

Overall fit and finish?

I should mention my bike has a 95" big bore, flat tops, shaved/ported, cams, etc... makes around 90hp & 100ft.lbs right now, but I'm not certain on the choice of cams the P.O used... it'll be getting torn down this winter and re-built more for my riding style.... Burnouts and wheelies.

Any help is much appreciated, I'll try calling Kurt at Bassani this week to get some answers, but more input the better.

The bike it'll be going on:

Last edited by hutch08; 09-14-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:40 PM
brandon95354
Road Captain
Default bassani

o the the best of my knowledge,

The road rage II's are obviosuly the newer models, offered in B1 and Mega.

From what I've read the B1 is designed for big motor builds (110+) and the Mega is more for stock internals... yah think they named them backwards, haha. The both say they have 1 3/4 - 1 7/8 stepped headers but the mufflers look like one has a larger diameter muffler??
Correct, the muffler is also longer

The 13222J looks the same as the new Mega, but has a different end cap and only fits the 91-2005 models. Doesn't looks as kicked up either. How do the rest fit up to 2013, but not this one???
I had this pipe, they make it for 06 and up but same pipe but has 02 ports

Lastky the 1D5250B, assumming its the un-stepped version of the original road rage. I honestly like the look of this pipe the best, and how short it is. The pipes are side by side rather than on top of eachother, how does that compare ground clearance wise? Also, I wonder if there's actually a power difference not having the stepped header pipes. They say theycome with heat shields, can anyone confirm this?
i believe all these come with shields, keep in mind the pipe will be kicked up high with your dxt long shocks, may burn the bag

Does anyone have any experience with either of these?
my last bike had a bassani, ive ridden the same build and bike with a theader, i dont think we as riders could tell a difference on a mild build. maybe the dyno can

I'm looking for comments on:

Ground clearance, what touches first, pegs or pipes?
my pipe would scrape just like Theader, when using 12.5inch shocks

Performance, any dyno graphs, motor specs?
id say get what pipe you think looks the best, they are all good just some a bit better than others, if you were building a $10,000 motor pipe choice might be more critical

Bag clearance, I need to clear my T-Sport bags, can't afford to cook them?
my lp retro bags cleared no problem, but the OG tsport bags hang a bit lower than LP retro bags, try finding pics on google imagesedit: looked at google images to me it looks like all these pipes will be safe for your bags, IMO
Overall fit and finish?
front heat shield started peeling , but better finish than a theader

Ive had the bassani on a 103 and currently have a brand new theader on a 113, my next pipe will be fatcat or maybe a bobcat, although having owned a bassani and theader i prefer a bassani. the theader is louder for sure, and certainly has a very nice one of a kind sound. my bassani sounded more like pingy sort of hard to explain

Last edited by brandon95354; 09-14-2013 at 01:52 PM. Reason: ......
Old 09-14-2013, 02:27 PM
hutch08
Road Captain

Thanks Brandon for the insight.... It's nice to hear from someone with first hand experience.

I'm pretty sure ground clearance might be better on the 1D5250B compared to the others as it doesn't hang so low, I'll have to do some more digging. Also with the 13.5" FXDXT shocks I've got a long way to the ground anyways.

As for performance, the more I read the more I believe the stepped headers are just a gimmick for your average Harley. Unless you're running a 120ci monster, 1.75" headers will flow more than enough. If anything they might add a couple peak HP on the dyno, but they're only beneficial at WOT and will sacrifice low/midrange torque.

Seems ironic how so many people install "torque cones" to regain some low end torque when half of them are probably running stepped headers to begin with... haha.

I guess the next crucial part is whether or not they'll cook some bags... it's hard to find those particular pipes on a T-sport. Google hasn't turned anything up yet.

I've had experience myself with Bassani in the past, I ran a set of pro-streets on my Sportster. They were pretty good quality, had an issue with one cracking but Kurt was more than willing to help resolve the problem. They're definitely not the fastest, seems like they're always waiting on production or the coaters, but they will get it sorted out eventaully.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:53 PM
hutch08
Road Captain

Here's a Street Bob with that pipe, looks like stock 12" shocks and Leather Pro bags:

Here's an actual 01 T-Sport with a regular road rage:

Old 09-14-2013, 03:01 PM
brandon95354
Road Captain
Default bassani

its not a tsport but kinda close i guess, those conley bags are the same deminsions as OG tsport bags, shocks might be 13.25 or 13.5...maybe this helps

Attached Thumbnails Bassani Road Rage, Model Clarification and Questions??-red-2013-fxdxt.jpg  
Old 09-14-2013, 03:54 PM
hutch08
Road Captain

Name:  photo1-15.jpg
Views: 2073
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  photo1-16.jpg
Views: 3232
Size:  79.3 KB

I knew I seen that bike before... I actually commented on his thread a while ago, but it's been dead since. Those are Conely bags, with stock shocks in the first pic, and 13" works shocks in the second. That's pretty close to my set-up, it looks like it kind of points at it... but it's hard to tell how much heat it actually experiences from pictures.

There is a heat shield on the bottom of the bag, but it's wrapped in a fabric.

I'll try PMing user TOMSPROPS and see if he has any insight.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Tomsprops
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any Heat issues with this pipe and my Bags. It's a 5250B with Chrome Shields . The ground clearance is excellent . The only negative thing I could say about this pipe is it's Freaking Loud ! Theres No Sneaking around with one of these on your bike .

Old 09-14-2013, 05:28 PM
hutch08
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Tomsprops
I don't have any Heat issues with this pipe and my Bags. It's a 5250B with Chrome Shields . The ground clearance is excellent . The only negative thing I could say about this pipe is it's Freaking Loud ! Theres No Sneaking around with one of these on your bike .
Bassani is so messed with their part #'s... That 5250B you have is actually the same as the one I posted, "1D5250B".

I know the conelys have a metal bracket that sits under the bag, which acts as a heat sheild too. Good to know that you dont have any issues, mine will probably be a little further away seeing my shocks are 1/2" longer.

I see it has good clearance, but do you know if the pegs or pipe would touch down first?

Also, did your's come with the shields or did you have to order them seperate? How much did it run you?

As for being loud, i'm fine with that. My neighbors are used to my pipes barking at 4:30AM anyways haha.

And there is a quiet baffle available for it... It mighten make that much of a difference, but a few dB's i'm sure.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:08 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

The 1D5250s come with heat shields.

Pegs would touch first.

Recommend Quiet Baffle, they are loud enough.

Bassani makes good pipes, customer service - so, so...

Old 09-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

I love my Bassani Road Rage...drags a little on the heat shields but waaah, it's part of the pleasure of lighting up the road.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...P-4614479.html

Quick Reply: Bassani Road Rage, Model Clarification and Questions??