Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchback Windshield Buffeting

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 07:58 PM
David the Gnome
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switchback Windshield Buffeting

I was doing a little highway driving today and wanted to try out the windshield and I don't know if it's just because of my height (6'2") or the fact I wear a full-face helmet but the buffeting off the windshield was so bad it about felt like my eyes were going to rattle out of my head. Is the stock windshield just too short for me? I looked online and it looks like Rifle makes a +2" and +4" windshield that fits the factory QD mounts. Would something like that fix my problem? I guess I'll be riding without in the meantime, I'll get less of a headache that way.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:21 PM
MrPappagiorgio
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't have a SB but I had the same problem with my windshield. After cutting it down 3" it was much better.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:33 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

essentially you want the air to either hit your collarbone or pass just above your helmet. if it bottom of the air flow is hitting in the middle of your helmet/head your going to see alot of buffeting.

the rule of thumb i've always heard is you should be barely looking over the windshield when staring straight ahead.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:43 PM
MrPappagiorgio
Cruiser

Originally Posted by slozomby
essentially you want the air to either hit your collarbone or pass just above your helmet. if it bottom of the air flow is hitting in the middle of your helmet/head your going to see alot of buffeting.

the rule of thumb i've always heard is you should be barely looking over the windshield when staring straight ahead.

I have heard the same thing. Funny thing is that my windshield was in that position before I cut it down. What ever reason it was it just didn't work that way for me.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:29 AM
PaiN
Tourer

I was talking to an SB owner the other night that had the same buffeting problem. He installed a 3" taller windshield that fixed the problem.
I'm 6'0", using the stock Switchback windshield I've never had buffeting. For what its worth, I have a Mustang Vintage touring seat on the bike that might be up a hair over the stock seat.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:09 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

you are supposed to just look over the shield not through it... check long ride shields first, they have a great reputation and great prices too...

Old 09-14-2013, 06:49 AM
hutch08
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the Cee Bailey's website:

Winshield Height:
How to choose your height and width?

If you have a stock non-adjustable shield go to step # 2. If your original shield is adjustable raise it about a quarter of the way up from the lowest position.
You will need a tape measure, straight edge, masking tape and about three feet of string.
Move your bike to a level spot and get some one to assist if possible.
Tape the straight edge to center of windshield using masking tape. The straight edge needs to stand about five to six inches above the top of shield possibly more.
For best results the top of the shield needs to be level with your mouth and no higher than the tip of your nose when in a relaxed normal riding position. If it’s too low you’ll get too much turbulence, if it’s too tall the crown of the shield will be in your line of sight. Most riders prefer to look over the top. If you prefer to ride under the shield then the top of the shield would need to be level with or just above your eyebrows.

If you’re not certain it’s always better to miss on the high side when ordering light gray, clear or green tints. These tints are Department of Transportation approved for day or night time riding. If you receive a shield that’s too tall just mark it & send it back at your expense. We will make a one time no charge adjustment including courtesy shipping for the ultimate in shield height. Prior to shipping the item back to us, you must contact sales and obtain a return authorization number so we know how to handle your product when it arrives at our facility.
When ordering dark gray or opaque black it’s always better to be on low side because you must clearly see over the shield.
Unfortunately dark colors and best air are usually a trade off. Dark colors need to be just below the mouth down towards the chin. If dark colors are too high your vision will be reduced for up close road hazards especially at night or in low light conditions.
Sit on your bike in a normal riding position with a straight edge that’s been securely taped to the center of the shield. Place the string in your mouth then pull the string tight to the top of the shield. Move the string up or down until the string is parallel with the ground or in a straight line that’s level with or just above your mouth. Simply add or subtract how many inches are needed to obtain a proper height. You’re trying to place the top of the shield in an imaginary line that’s level or even with your mouth.

You need the top of the shield to be slightly above the mouth and no higher than the tip of your nose for light colors. Dark gray and opaque black needs to be somewhere between your lower lip and your chin. Riders with large shoulders and torsos may also want more width. Medium & shorter riders may find that the stock width shield just works fine.

I have no experience with the switchback but I just went through this on my T-Sport. I was running the stock 16" shield, and didn't like how I had to see through it. It was also scratched a little so it was hard to focus on the road. I cut it down to cee baileys short height windshield at 11.5". The buffering was brutal, my helmet was like a bobble head and my shield rattled bad at anything over 60mph.

I could actually use my hand to feel where the wind was hitting me, the shield was below my chin so the wind was directed straight in my eyes. I opted to order the shield that's in between at 14.5" and black in color.

Wind buffering is completely gone now, I can fell the wind just kissing the top of my helmet as it goes over my head. The straight black isn't an issue for me because I am looking over it, but some people might not like it and should go for a smoke or clear color instead.

The fact that I can adjust mine angled in or out + or - 2" makes it even better because I can dial in that sweet spot.

A wrong height shield can definitely be more hazardous than no shield at all.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:45 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 6' and my stock switchback shield comes up to about my chin when i sit up straight, no buffeting here.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:49 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

I just put a LRS shield on my bike yesterday. I went lower and it is good...

Old 09-15-2013, 12:43 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't matter how tall your WS is because the buffeting is coming from under the windshield. I bought a pair of Softtail Lower wind jammers from HD and had to modify them to fit, but it works great. I do 99% of my riding on the Interstates/Highways and had this same problem. It doesn't make the bike look awesome but it's great wind protection. And riding in 100+ heat protection on the highway gets priority.

This is the best pic I have to show an example.

Attached Thumbnails Switchback Windshield Buffeting-420838_10201264181152529_1428413388_n.jpg  

Quick Reply: Switchback Windshield Buffeting