Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchback Windshield Buffeting

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Francois.j
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done what odie-in-az did, except I have installed Road King wind deflectors, no more buffeting!

Old 09-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by odie-in-az
It doesn't matter how tall your WS is because the buffeting is coming from under the windshield.
Not ALWAYS true. There are several different causes of buffeting...You just have to figure out what is causing yours...

Old 09-15-2013, 01:33 PM
hutch08
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It doesn't matter how tall your WS is because the buffeting is coming from under the windshield. I bought a pair of Softtail Lower wind jammers from HD and had to modify them to fit, but it works great. I do 99% of my riding on the Interstates/Highways and had this same problem. It doesn't make the bike look awesome but it's great wind protection. And riding in 100+ heat protection on the highway gets priority.

This is the best pic I have to show an example.

I beg to differ, when the wind comes over the windshield and hits you in the eyes its buffeting. The height does make a difference.

You are correct though, some buffeting comes from in under. I know guys that rock 1/4 or rifle fairings that have them mounted high experience this.

The wind deflects under the fairing then swirls up over the tank and shoots them in the face. A simple fix for this is a deflector on the bottom of the lower tree to direct the wind down.

My T-sport fairing is wide and low enough to not create turbulance over the tank.

Simple test is just to crouch down an inch or two see when it goes away, or you can actually use the palm of your hand to "feel" the wind and just follow where it comes from.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I wonder what would happen if I cut a vent in the windshield like the CVO RK or 14 touring bikes' fairing. I've heard it works to equalize the pressure in the bubble the windshield creates. Vortex! (I had to say it). Maybe with a drimmel or something.

Anyone tried this on a pre-14? I wonder if it would compromise the structural integrity of the shield.

Edit: Google knows all. Found an article on it and how to fix it. It's called Von Karman vortices.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7907775_prev...ndshields.html

Last edited by Clubber; 09-15-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:51 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hutch08
I beg to differ, when the wind comes over the windshield and hits you in the eyes its buffeting. The height does make a difference.

You are correct though, some buffeting comes from in under. I know guys that rock 1/4 or rifle fairings that have them mounted high experience this.

The wind deflects under the fairing then swirls up over the tank and shoots them in the face. A simple fix for this is a deflector on the bottom of the lower tree to direct the wind down.

My T-sport fairing is wide and low enough to not create turbulance over the tank.

Simple test is just to crouch down an inch or two see when it goes away, or you can actually use the palm of your hand to "feel" the wind and just follow where it comes from.
I meant specific in the FLD. I tried everything. Even the tallest WS where I looked through it. The wind coming from underneath was shaking my helmet and goggles where I could not ride without blurred vision. The windjammers stopped the violent buffeting. I look over the top of the WS now and have wind hitting the top of my helmet but it's not shaking the crap outta my skull anymore. Unfortunately for me its no WS or WS and windjammers. Makes a very comfortable ride for 80mph cruising. JMHO.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

I meant specific in the FLD. I tried everything. Even the tallest WS where I looked through it. The wind coming from underneath was shaking my helmet and goggles where I could not ride without blurred vision. The windjammers stopped the violent buffeting. I look over the top of the WS now and have wind hitting the top of my helmet but it's not shaking the crap outta my skull anymore. Unfortunately for me its no WS or WS and windjammers. Makes a very comfortable ride for 80mph cruising. JMHO.
How low did you try to go? That's what worked for me. Went to a 14 from a 19...did the same thing on my Roadking

Old 09-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Clubber
I wonder what would happen if I cut a vent in the windshield like the CVO RK or 14 touring bikes' fairing. I've heard it works to equalize the pressure in the bubble the windshield creates. Vortex! (I had to say it). Maybe with a drimmel or something.

Anyone tried this on a pre-14? I wonder if it would compromise the structural integrity of the shield.

Edit: Google knows all. Found an article on it and how to fix it. It's called Von Karman vortices.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7907775_prev...ndshields.html
Doesn't the Switchback use the same shield as a Roadking? If so, there are vented shields already available...clear view makes on and so does Harley...

Old 09-15-2013, 03:23 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
How low did you try to go? That's what worked for me. Went to a 14 from a 19...did the same thing on my Roadking
After a couple of long rides looking through the WS, mine was a 21 RoadKing WS (mounts to FLD WS brackets the same) I placed my feet where the windjammers would go, and voilą, no more buffeting. I sought out some windjammers but they didn't make them for Dynas, so I saw the SoftTails almost lined up the FLD windshield mounts, and had to dremel them a little, and it worked. Went back to my 15" WS with windjammers and it was still good. I've tried taking the windjammers off a few times and run just the WS, but I always end up putting them back on. I could have put a 10 foot high windshield and the buffeting would have still been there. Hope that answers your question.

Last edited by odie-in-az; 09-15-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:10 PM
David the Gnome
Intermediate

Whew, looks like I have a lot of (potentially expensive) experimentation to do. I was really hoping all I needed was just a slightly taller windshield haha..

Old 09-15-2013, 05:15 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David the Gnome
Whew, looks like I have a lot of (potentially expensive) experimentation to do. I was really hoping all I needed was just a slightly taller windshield haha..
just use your hand to figure out if wind is coming below the windshield. and where the bottom of the airstream is hitting your head.

Quick Reply: Switchback Windshield Buffeting