Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the FLD owners.. qst?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 12:20 AM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default For the FLD owners.. qst?

So kinda in the market for a new bike maybe a RK, my dealer has left over FLD 13's. He gave me a stupid offer on the 13's, so much I started to think about it.

I had a Super Glide a few years back & went to a bagger because I did tons of highway stuff. Now I'm on the east coast & do more in town stuff, plus traffic is just a pain overall.

I was curious why the switch back & not the RoadKing? given they normally are near same money. Just curious....

Yes I did test ride the 13 FLD & the 14 RK both have their ups & downs. Was wondering others insight.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:41 AM
PaiN
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm impressed with my new 13 Switchback. I use it mostly for day trips and back roads touring which its perfect for but it seems decent in any riding situation.
If you do a lot of city driving the SB will be a lot less bike to lug around vs. the RK and sounds like the SB will save you a lot of $$$ ...

Old 09-08-2013, 08:02 AM
bloodweiser
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Size was big for me.
at 5'8", I don't have the birthing hips intended for a RK.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:09 AM
Switchback12
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

100lbs less, $1600 less, sportier version of the RK, likely not as comfortable as the RK over the long day, but I like it. It feels very balanced and quick, not crazy about the bars, May try 2" extension of stock risors.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:28 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This question has been asked countless times on this forum, with some actually taking offense if you call the SB a little bagger. LOL, it's a whole 1.5" shorter than the RK, so technically, it IS a little bagger! that size difference is about the size of a cigar nub that you toss after smoking it.

HOWEVER...to a woman, 1.5" could mean the difference between an OOOh and a AHHhh.
I dunno, girls any input on that?
LOL

SB.. It's a convertible bike that includes quick detach wind shield and hard bags. That's why I bought one. I rarely put my bags on because I prefer a cruiser. But when I want them, I have them. the fat front tire is really nice on the CA. superslabs with all the grooves.
Same with windshield.

If you plan on leaving the bags on, definitely get the RK.
If you want mostly a cruiser without bags, get the SB.
SB changes out from both modes very quickly, but the bags are small, like little purses. HAHA, it is what it is.

If they would have just given the SB full size bags, the SB would outsell sell the RK. bigtime. Of that, I have no doubt. But they didn't, so f**k it.
What do YOU prefer? That's all that matters.

I don't know if you would really notice the weight difference while navigating around town, except in parking lots. The SB is easier to handle there, no doubt. For performance, the SB is a great "little" (even I call it little, lol) hot rod. Do a stage one and it comes alive and more than you would feel on a RK due to (probably) the weight difference. On the long highway, the RK would serve you better but the SB will run circles around a RK everywhere but in high winds. There, I would prefer more weight.

If you are over 5'10" the SB will feel small, because it IS. (see above)
If under...you will probably love it. I'm 6' with long legs and I had to extend my boards 3" with an ingenious little device a forum member here, designed for me. But they now work great and I'm comfortable on the highway and the twisties.

Bottom line,
bags on...get a road king,
convertible cruiser with mostly bags off, switchback.
The price difference means nothing, you will spend 3 times the savings trying to improve the touring side of the SB and you won't ever be happy if that's what you want...a tourer.
Want a fat front end, quick and nimble cruiser? You will love the SB

so what do you wanna be? An OOhh or or an AHhh?

Last edited by FBinSoCal; 09-08-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:00 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior

gotta admit, this seat/bag combo taken from the 2014 pic collage looks really nice.
:

edit: never mind, that seat moves you forward and the pad is mounted on the bag.

Took a ride to pomona valley hd and a look at the 2014 RK in silver, chromed out, whitewalls and factory stage 1 with a real nice lookin factory intake cover.
Also had apes, cruise.
Listed at $20k. A flat out beautiful bike.
Today, I'd buy that particular bike over my switchback without blinking an eye.
They added some chrome cyclesmith bag extensions to it too.
Gorgeous.

Last edited by FBinSoCal; 09-08-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:11 AM
GA-Mtn-Rider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Owned both, RKC for me.

I owned a '12 FLD for 13 months and 6k miles. Great bike. Traded for a '13RKC 2 months ago, and for me, a 5'9", 190 lb male rider, the difference is tremendous. Yes, the FLD is lighter and shorter, but I don't find that getting around in tights is harder with the RK, and as a matter of fact I find I can handle the RK far easier than the FLD. I will admit that for the first 2 weeks, the additional weight kinda threw me a slight curve, but once acclimated, no problems. Also, the difference on the highway is incredible! So much more stable. I find myself easily forgetting the speed limit and having to back down from 85+ mph on the x-way, whereas, I rarely exceeded 70 mph on the FLD simply because I didn't feel confident on the bike at higher speeds. Performance wise, both bikes were similarly set up, SE stage 1 intake, SERT, the exception being the FLD had stock head pipes and a V&H slip on, and the RK has Cobra Power Port headers and Rhinehart slip ons (sounds better, by the way). Surprisingly enough, the gains in HP and torque were almost the same on the Dyno sheets, with the torque a bit earlier in the rpm range on the RK (72 HP and 81 ft-lbs torque at the rear wheel, give or take a few decimal points). I don't notice any less performance, even though the RK is 100 lbs. heavier. Go figure! I also forgot to mention that the mini apes on the FLD were replaced with bars that were lower and supposed to help in the handling dept. all in all, the RK Classic will be a bike I'll hold onto for a while. It has made riding more fun and, if possible, I'll take my bike vs. the car, even if its a quick trip to the store. I even find excuses to get on the RK. Of course, these views are my own humble submissions, and not something written in stone. Every rider is different as is every bike. Good luck to the OP! Either way, you'll enjoy!

Old 09-08-2013, 04:37 PM
flyin1200
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if power and gearing is exactly the same on 2 bikes, the bike weighing less will be quicker: FACT

I like my FLD, but I too have been thinking about a Road King. For me, I want my storage on the bike. Bigger saddle bags and the ability to put a tour pak on a RK is a definite draw for me.

The reason I didn't go RK to begin with is the savings of $1800. I have easily double that in mods to my FLD. So, with the FLD, I have a bike that is more modified to my liking versus a stock RK. I rode the FLD to Sturgis and back and I have zero issues with this bikes ability to be stable and sporty. As for being more or less comfortable, I think how you outfit any bike to fit you will ultimately decide whether or not it is comfortable for you.

So, I still have my FLD and it's probably not going anywhere. Unless you want me to make you an even stupider offer to buy mine than that of your dealer

Last edited by flyin1200; 09-08-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:16 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by flyin1200
if power and gearing is exactly the same on 2 bikes, the bike weighing less will be quicker: FACT
The dealer told me today that on the new 2014 RK, they put in a different cam to increase mid-range torque. I don't know if that's a stock item for the RK now or an add-on though.

I liked your post, an honest eval. of the SB from your perspective.