Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 fxdwg ignition problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:22 AM
tcaca
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 fxdwg ignition problem?

I have a 2001 Wide Glide I put a Twin Tec adjustable ignition box and coil on last year. This weekend it started sputtering and running on only the back cylinder. I found out if you put pressure on the coil it will hit on both cylinders for a short time then you have to let off and push down again. I have replaced the plugs and wires and also went back to the stock coil and nothing seems to help. I am stumped. Has anyone had this happen or any idea what could be wrong?

Old 09-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same exact problem on my bike right now, I went back to stock ignition as well as tried a different coil, same issue. I eliminated the Twin Tec as the culrpit though, please post up if you figure it out.

My guess on mine is I have a shorting wire somewhere in the ignition system

Old 09-05-2013, 09:51 PM
tcaca
3rd Gear

After messing with this all day checking all the wires for cracks or pinches etc. and looking all over the internet nothing was working. I decided to put the stock ignition box back in. Went for a 6 or 7 mile ride and it did not miss a lick. Guess my problem is with the Twin Tec not a shorting out issue. I will be calling Twin Tec in the morning. I looked at my receipt and I bought it on sept. 8 2012. There web site says they have a 3 year limited warranty. We will see what they are covering up by saying limited warranty.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:06 AM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tcaca
After messing with this all day checking all the wires for cracks or pinches etc. and looking all over the internet nothing was working. I decided to put the stock ignition box back in. Went for a 6 or 7 mile ride and it did not miss a lick. Guess my problem is with the Twin Tec not a shorting out issue. I will be calling Twin Tec in the morning. I looked at my receipt and I bought it on sept. 8 2012. There web site says they have a 3 year limited warranty. We will see what they are covering up by saying limited warranty.
Interesting, has me thinking that because of all of my motor work that I am not actually losing spark with the stock ignition, it is just running poorly.

The bike is in my buddy's shop right now (as I have to work way to much lately), I'll have him follow up with Twin Tec and see what they say.

I'm interested to see what they do with yours, mine is also within 3 years, it was bought in 2011

Old 09-06-2013, 09:53 AM
tcaca
3rd Gear

Just got off the phone with Twin Tec. I am amazed, they put me through to the office manager. I told her my problem and she give me a return authorization number and told me to send it back and they will test it. If its bad they will send me a new one no questions asked. They don't even need my receipt. She told me they will get back to me within 24 hours of them receiving it. She did tell me they very rarely get them returned and sounded kind of shocked it went bad. Sounds good so far, let me know how you come out with yours

Old 09-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tcaca
Just got off the phone with Twin Tec. I am amazed, they put me through to the office manager. I told her my problem and she give me a return authorization number and told me to send it back and they will test it. If its bad they will send me a new one no questions asked. They don't even need my receipt. She told me they will get back to me within 24 hours of them receiving it. She did tell me they very rarely get them returned and sounded kind of shocked it went bad. Sounds good so far, let me know how you come out with yours
Cool, my buddy George said the same thing, he has never seen one go bad and has used them on hundreds of builds (he built my motor). At this point I am grasping at straws though and it is worth a shot if they will check it out.