Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grey Wire Issue With LED Fuel Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007 | 02:30 PM
hd_sob
|
Road Master
Default Grey Wire Issue With LED Fuel Gauges

Did a search on LED fuel gauges here and found there was some question (unresolved) with what to do about the grey wire on both the skull and round LED fuel gauge kits.

Additionally, people were experiencing difficulty with the low fuel light on the speedo (may be related to the grey wire issue).

Has anyone gotten to the bottom of these concerns?

I want to purchase one, but not if its going to be the usual H-D accessory pain-in-the-***...

Old 03-05-2007 | 04:31 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Grey Wire Issue With LED Fuel Gauges

The grey wire if not installed will make the yellow fuel light on the dash work in reverse. It will come on when tank is full and go out as fuel level goes down. My plan is to disconnect the yellow wire which controls the yellow dash light and not install the grey wire at all. It will be a few more weeks before my bike will be back together, I'll know more then.

Old 03-05-2007 | 04:51 PM
Barebackjack
Road Captain

I screwed up mine when I added the led guage. Now mylow fuellight stays on all the time.I just make sure I use the odometer and don'tdepend on the guage. The only person that sees the light is me so I decided to just leave it alone.

Old 03-05-2007 | 06:15 PM
hd_sob
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: HOGRIDA_06

The grey wire if not installed will make the yellow fuel light on the dash work in reverse. It will come on when tank is full and go out as fuel level goes down.
Is it possible that the yellow wire should be swapped with the grey?

Old 03-05-2007 | 06:29 PM
Trotter
Banned

ORIGINAL: hd_sob

The grey wire if not installed will make the yellow fuel light on the dash work in reverse. It will come on when tank is full and go out as fuel level goes down.
Yes thats what my Instructions said tounplug the yellow and replace with Grey. The flush mount gauges dont have the grey wire, so if ya cut the Yellow wireand ever decide togowith the flush mounts make sure it's reversable. Dont ask me how I know

Old 03-05-2007 | 06:35 PM
hd_sob
|
Road Master

Is this something I can do UNDER the tank, or would I have to YANK it? I have a 2" lift on it now and I can see the wiring...

Old 03-05-2007 | 06:49 PM
Trotter
Banned

The wire is under the center console, I just lifted mine to run the grey wire so it was hidden. With your lift you may be ok. No need to remove..

Old 03-05-2007 | 07:06 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes, that is what the directions say. My grey wire seems to have the wrong ends cripped on to it. One end replaces the yellow wire under the dash and the other end plugs into a connector under the tank. My grey wire doesn't fit the conector under the tank. It should have a square fitting cripped on to it but, mine is round.

Old 03-05-2007 | 07:31 PM
hd_sob
|
Road Master

So if I cut the yellow wire and then splice the grey wire into the connector, that oughta do it?

Old 03-05-2007 | 08:45 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member

So if I cut the yellow wire and then splice the grey wire into the connector, that oughta do it?
It's just as easy to remove the yellow wire from the connector, and plug in the grey wire.

Quick Reply: Grey Wire Issue With LED Fuel Gauges