Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grey Wire Issue With LED Fuel Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007 | 10:01 AM
hd_sob
|
Road Master
Default RE: Grey Wire Issue With LED Fuel Gauges

ORIGINAL: bpalmersheim
Does both the LED cap and the speedo low fuel light work?
Yes...

Old 05-29-2007 | 09:55 PM
chapds
Cruiser

Ok guys, yes i'm in the same boat. I understand the directions now ( thank god for this forum ). What do you have to do to take the dash off ?? Am I taking off the entire wrinkle finish dash to get at the connector ?? Is there an easier way. I have all the wires run minus gray right now. Let me know, trying to finish all this crap up.

Thanx
Chap

Old 05-29-2007 | 10:00 PM
hd_sob
|
Road Master

Dude, there are only three bolts holding the dash on. Two on either side of the indicator panel and one below the front portion of the seat. Its very easy to get off.

Old 05-29-2007 | 10:02 PM
chapds
Cruiser

Thanx bro. I know those bolts but just wanted to triple check. this is unchartered territory for me. much appreciated. any surprises when i remove the dash ( ie is everything tight in there like the connectors etc, or pretty easy to work ). let me know & thanx again, i really appreciate it.

thanx
chap

Old 05-29-2007 | 10:04 PM
hd_sob
|
Road Master

Refer to Step 2 on Page 3:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/documents/in...-26HD-0204.pdf

(these are the instructions for the Kury kit, but the grey wire is connected the same way)

Old 05-29-2007 | 10:11 PM
chapds
Cruiser

My hero brother. Pictures do alot for my dumb ***. I really appreciate it.

Thanx
Chap

Old 05-30-2007 | 10:59 PM
mjdodd1107
Advanced

I was having a lot of problems with the gray wire when i first installed the kit also, but, after a lot of toiling i figured out exactly how to get the gray wire into place and get the gauge to work properly. On the wiring harness in the console, there is a blue clip on the side. If you remove this clip, the gray wire slides right into place after removing the yellow and white wire. Replace the blue clip, screw the console back on, and you're done.

The low fuel light on the speedo is completely disabled, and the red last light starts blinking with about a gallon of fuel left.

Old 05-30-2007 | 11:12 PM
chapds
Cruiser

Yeah did that bro, looked in the manual & realized about the clip. just getting that wire in though was the death of me. I got it, but it sucked ***. I have it in most of the way, & upon looking at the connector on the bike ( not the one I was shoving the wire in, the tongs are really long, so I think i'm good to go. We shall see...

Thanx
Chap

Old 06-04-2007 | 03:37 AM
chapds
Cruiser

Ok, this is what I did. I wanted the gray wire from the speedo going into the main harness on the bike, & in turn, the gray wire from the gas gauge going into the multi lock connector. So this is what I did...

1. I was doing a tank lift anyway, so my dash was already off. For those not knowing how to take the dash off, it's the 3 allen bolts ( 2 on the top & one on the bottom under the seat ). Remove the bolts & pull the dash off slowly. There are alot of wires under there.

2. I clipped a couple of the zip ties under the dash so I could pull the connectors out & see what I was doing. The wires you'll be messing with is in the clip going into the speedometer on the dash ( not the big connector, the smaller one ). You'll see what i'm talking about.

3. Remove the plug. You'll have to cut back some of the stock sheath around the wires to locate the yellow/white wire. Now, i recommend GETTING THE PIN TOOL TO GET THIS THING OUT. Go to radio shack, they have them for like 3 bucks. Or, you can do what I did & spend countless hours getting this thing out, & in turn, getting the gray wire in. I didnt want to splice, I wanted it done right.

4. Ok, fast forward, yellow / white wire out, gray wire in ( as far as I could get it in anyway, its a bitch WITHOUT THE PIN TOOL ). I got the gray connector in about 3/4 which was well far enough to get in. This is the connector that is kind of a " round connector ". Not a solid piece, but the connector where something fits in it.

5. Ok, wire is now in & hanging in front of my bob. I ran the wire out the front of the dash ( where all the other wires are ), to the underside of the tank & out to where the main connector is ( the one affixed to the bike, not the one that's dangling from your new gas gauge ). Before I put it in the harness, I ran wire loom up the wire into the dash & taped it off & zip tied it down. Now, you can put the wire you just ran from the speedo into your main harness. There is an empty spot on the harness, & you'll notice, it's in the same spot as where you will put your gray wire that's dangling from your gas gauge ( the one that came with the led gas gauge from harley ).

6. Now, it says in the instructions when you are hooking up the wires into the connector, dont plug in the gray wire yet. Plug it in, go ahead, it doesn't hurt anything. I listened to too many people & had it plugged in & then took it out, thus detroying the end that went in ( the pin ). No worries, god love RADIO SHACK. They had the connectors in some kit. I had to look through a ton of connectors, & stumbled across them. Good thing, they give you like 12 of them for a $1.50.

7. Retipped my gray wire coming from the gas gauge & put it into the harness that came with the gas gauge. The new tip went in relatively well, but had to coax it a little bit with a pair of tweezers, but all in all, pretty easy. Mated both ends, fired it up & all good, no " Low Fuel Light " on my dash.

8. That little satanic clip that once held the harness to the tank, well, I couldnt find a good place to re mount that, so I just zip tied ( snug, but not super tight ) to some cabling under the tank ( my emissions I think ). I did it snug & now super tight incase I have to take the tank off sometime & need to unclip the connectors.

All in all, this install sucked, but, I learned alot. DONT TAKE SHORTCUTS. Get the proper pin tools to remove those damn little pins. Will make your life a whole lot better for $3.00. Radio Shack is a great resource for the pins / pin remover. Look in there " little draw of connectors " & you'll find what you need. Below is a link to the tool: