Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary case noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 08:43 AM
cerati666
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Primary case noise

I have a noise coming from my primary case that sounds like alaundry machine washing clothes when the bike (2008 fxdf) is running and is in neutral (noise stops when clutch is engaged or in gear).

I opened up the case and inspected the clutch hub. The hub needed to be replaced, so I replaced both the hub and bearing. I put the thing back together and I still have the noise going on. I inspected the main shaft and it seemed ok. The chain tensioner had normal wear.

Could it be the tensioner and/or chain, or do I have to do more "digging"?

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:46 AM
sgmfiser
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your primary chain real close for a stretched spot or a stiff place.

Pops

Old 08-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cerati666
... sounds like alaundry machine ...
I've got the same noise that I've been chasing for over a month, been in the primary 3 times.
1st time - SE compensator, clutch hub and bearing, IPB, clutch spring, 30 tooth pulley.
2nd time, Haden M3 tensioner.
3rd time, removed and reinstalled compensator components jic.

Other than the broken splines inside the clutch hub, the only sign of wear or damage is on the bottom front of the outer case from chain slap. I'm resigned to just ride it till it really breaks so I can fix it right.

Primary case noise-sam_0847_small.jpg

Old 12-25-2014, 09:36 PM
nomad nomlaki
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2007 FXDB had a noise like that. I checked primary chain adjustor and it seemed fine. However I tracked noise to the chain tension adjustor. When I pulled it out it fell apart. I replaced tensioner with M-6 upgrade and it doesn't make the sound anymore.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:38 AM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

This exact scenario, only makes noise in neutral, goes away with bike in gear, can be caused by 2 things. When you kick the bike into gear, the only thing that stops spinning is the mainshaft, so that's the source. The clutch hub bearing actually starts spinning when you pull the clutch and put it in gear. Inner primary bearing is most common, if the race looks good it's most likely the mainshaft where it goes through 6th gear. There's 2 needle bearings inside 6th gear that the mainshaft rides on and the mainshaft can wear out, sometimes very prematurely and I'm unsure of the cause but I've seen it many times. How much metal is on the trans drain plug might give you a better idea if that's where it's coming from. For Ratbob it's not looking good if you've already done the ipb. With all that metal going through the trans it'll need a complete re-bearing, not that difficult but a big job.

Added: sometimes you won't find this unless you pull the trans out and inspect the shaft where it goes through 6th. Pull the inner primary and try moving the mainshaft up and down inside 6th gear, if it's wasted enough there will be movement, should be none.

Last edited by vdop; 12-26-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:36 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the input Vdop! I've drained and inspected the tranny fluid twice and found no visible particulates. The primary fluid had lots of fine dust suspended in the fluid, but the only visible sign of wear was from primary chain slap. The next time I pull it a part I'll check the main shaft play in 6th gear.

The only work I didn't do myself was the clutch basket/hub bearing. I don't have a suitable press so I let the dealer replace the new hub and bearing. I suspect that they might have not seated the new bearing correctly, or that they just left the old bearing in place when swapping out the clutch hub, since the only signs of wear is on the primary side.

Fortunately the noise has diminished over time, and the bike runs strong and pulls hard.