Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007 | 06:03 PM
steelcowboy
|
Road Master
Default clutch Adjustment

Ever since I added the apes to my bo and the longer cables I've had a problem with clutch slippage under hard acceleration. I've adjusted the hell out of it but still can;t seem to get it Kosher any suggestions from an one hear ??

Old 03-04-2007 | 06:09 PM
R Racing
Tourer
Default RE: clutch Adjustment

Just for the heak of it did you try lube in the cable ?? Try from the clutch lever side it might help.I had a simular problem when I changed my bars and cables and it did help in my case.

Jim

Old 03-04-2007 | 06:12 PM
steelcowboy
|
Road Master

Like some lithum grease or something? So you geased it up in the area of the lever itself. i had it too lose before and it wouldn't return so when I changed the levers I tightend it up quite a bit more trying to get it right and no it returns fine but slips a little when I get on it.

Old 03-04-2007 | 06:20 PM
R Racing
Tourer

Take the cable off of the leaver. Use a ziplock bag and a rubberband and put a small hole in your bag and slide the cable in the hole and use the rubber band to keep the bag from leaking to the cable. Use the same oil that you use in you trans and fill the bag up about 1/3 or so and zip it shut. Hang the cable so that the oil can work its way into the cable for a couple of hours.Adjust you cable so that when you let off of the lever there is about 1/16 endplay so you know your clutch is engaging all the way.

Jim

Old 03-04-2007 | 06:27 PM
R Racing
Tourer

There is 1 easier way to lube your cable I just remembered. You can take your cable off from the leaver and also from your down tubes so that its only attached at the trans. Lay it flat on the ground and put a few paper towels on the lever end. The trans oil will run down the cable and come out the end slowly.It might take a few hours butI have my bike apart now and it leaks maybe a half a table spoon in 2 days from the cable laying down. LOL!

Jim

Old 03-04-2007 | 07:12 PM
seaox
Cruiser

SteelCowboy

I had the same problem and lubing the clutch cable did the trick.

Don't use lithium on the cable. It is very sensitive to temperatures, especially cold and will get thick and sticky and cause problems. Try dry slide. It's posted elsewhere on the forum, or you can google for it. One of the technical writers for the HD forum suggested it. It has a graphite base product and you can order it with a long needle device to insert into the cable housing to do a good job.

good luck

Old 03-04-2007 | 08:08 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior

You must have some free play in the cable orthe clutchwon't fully engage, that is probably what is causing the slip under acceleration. Back off the adjuster just enough to give you a bit of free-play at the lever. Btw, you can use that teflon "One lube", it is pretty slick stuff and won't thicken in cold weather and stays for a good long time---jack

Old 03-04-2007 | 09:24 PM
steelcowboy
|
Road Master

So your thinking then I should grease it and go even tighter

Old 03-05-2007 | 11:13 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior

No, don't go tighter, you must have some free-play in the clutch lever or the clutch will slip. If you have about 1/8-3/16" slop in the clutch lever, that is what you are looking for---jack