Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WIRING HARNESS???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 10:32 AM
rwalker1948
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WIRING HARNESS???

Hey all, hope I can get some great suggestions from you.
I must remove my ENTIRE harness from a 2005 FXDWG!!!!!!![:'(]

Can someone give me their method of removal, whether by individually disconnecting plugs to pull thru backbone or whatever. All accessories are now completely separated from harness and it's time to pull???? I have to get my front end straightened so must remove.

If anyone has experience with this I would appreciate tips for the simplest and least destructive method.

Thanx ahead,

Rick

Old 03-03-2007, 11:19 AM
wadejesu
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: WIRING HARNESS???

If are you not going to reuse get out the side cuts and remove, Otherwise you will have to pull front end connectors through the top frame and disconnect switch housing wires from main harness first. The last one I did I didn't have to pull any pins.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:24 AM
thebestofindica
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, you will probably have to disconnect the headlight, taillights, and the two harnesses that are wired to your hand controls on bars. Then, there is a door in front of your rear fender that leads to under the seat where much of the wiring is stored. You would probably want to pull the wire out from that spot. I would remove the battery and electrical caddy after unplugging ecm, etc... I would think that removing the harness would be the easy part, how about putting it back in there?! Good luck to ya.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:56 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

ORIGINAL: thebestofindica

First, you will probably have to disconnect the headlight, taillights, and the two harnesses that are wired to your hand controls on bars. Then, there is a door in front of your rear fender that leads to under the seat where much of the wiring is stored. You would probably want to pull the wire out from that spot. I would remove the battery and electrical caddy after unplugging ecm, etc... I would think that removing the harness would be the easy part, how about putting it back in there?! Good luck to ya.
Whenever I pull out wires from conduit or raceways I quite often attach a 'pullwire' to the bunch so as I am pulling out the old wires I am pulling in a wire to then use to pull the replacement wires back in with. Just make sure its substantial enough and tied on good enough to keep from breaking or slipping off when making your pull. I have used wire, or rope, or strong corded string...

Hope this helps

Old 03-03-2007, 07:58 PM
rwalker1948
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I am at the point that only 4 front connections that go thru the top tree will probably be cut (in the morn so I can sleep on it). It appears to me that all will go thru the backbone just fine if and when I can get rid of the harness wrap so I can pull the minumum of circuits at a time.
Like I stated I'll sleep on it and thanks soooo much for suggestions.
Yhis is my 12th scoot, 5th HD, and newest I ever dealt with. Technology is unGodly when it comes to circuitry.........

Thanx,
Rick

Old 03-04-2007, 12:17 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

just be glad you don't have an '03. Pulling wires through the backbone is very difficult. Less access holes for one...