Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:08 PM
splicer
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Air filter

I know this is probably beating a dead horse, but whats your thoughts on no mod air filter systems. I'm wanting better air intake than stock but don't want to spend a buttload of cash doing so. been looking at K&N for the money. Is there any suggestions for 300.00 or less to improve air flow without re-map. I'm a total rookie with Harleys. Thanks

Old 07-26-2013, 10:50 PM
tuner
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Air fiter

Without re-mapping about all you can do is install a K&N stock replacement filter.

2009 FXDL
Andrews 37 cams, BUB exhaust, Dynojet PCV with auto tune and K&N Custom filter assembly

Old 07-26-2013, 10:56 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by tuner
Without re-mapping about all you can do is install a K&N stock replacement filter.

2009 FXDL
Andrews 37 cams, BUB exhaust, Dynojet PCV with auto tune and K&N Custom filter assembly
If you open up the air filter housing itself or put a aftermarket intake on to allow more air flow, you will be running too lean.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:31 PM
splicer
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys. The reason for asking is I have a 2012 switchback with the V&H 2 into 1 exhaust that is popping on deceleration and I read a thread that the guys were telling the poster to get more air into his bike. I really don't know Jack Squat about what I need to do but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to cure this problem up. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks for the tips.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:17 AM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by splicer
Thanks guys. The reason for asking is I have a 2012 switchback with the V&H 2 into 1 exhaust that is popping on deceleration and I read a thread that the guys were telling the poster to get more air into his bike. I really don't know Jack Squat about what I need to do but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to cure this problem up. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks for the tips.
essentially you'll need to remap to get rid of that popping. you can try just the k&n filter but it might throw it even more out of whack. if you dont plan on any more performance upgrades you can get a "cheap" a/f tuner like a power commander or cobra or fuelpak and that'll work for the pipes and an air cleaner upgrade down the road. if you plan on further upgrades past that then you'll want to save up for a better tuner.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:23 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Originally Posted by splicer
For under $300 you can get an Outlaw Hi-Flow 587 A/C and some FL-XiED-10"s.

These will work well with your exhaust, and you will not be running to lean, you will also have some extra power!

Click HERE for info on the FL-XiED-10's.

Here's a vid on the Outlaw Hi-Flow A/C's, lots of different looks, and uses and K&N filter.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 07-27-2013, 09:17 AM
HyperM3
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

^ this is the route I went on my bike also running 2-1 V&H exhaust. I still get popping on decel but the bike looks awesome and runs great for the low cost of investment. I dont really care about the popping to be honest.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:58 AM
craig11dyna
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin is correct and is the route I took with my 2011 except mine takes the a different model Xied due to difference in model year of your bike.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:26 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,035 Likes on 773 Posts

Good advice here. Except for wherever you read that adding air would get rid of decel pop. It's already running too lean, you need to add fuel. Ignore whoever is giving you that info. Like they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:59 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40,017 Likes on 13,513 Posts

You need to make certain there are no air leaks anywhere on that aftermarket exhaust. A simple K&N replacement filter will give your stock engine all the air it can use. If the decal pop bothers you it will probably take an aftermarket tuner to get rid of most of it.

Quick Reply: Air filter