Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exsessive valvetrain noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:50 PM
Mike650
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default exsessive valvetrain noise

So I've noticed that I've been getting a lot more noise from the motor lately. Seems to vibrate more too, and even more so when sitting on a slope. I run rendline synthetic, but its been 10,000 miles since I've started running it and never had a problem so I don't think its an oil issue. I'm just hoping my top end isn't taking a crap on me. Changing the oil this weekend so ill be looking for metal. But anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Old 07-24-2013, 02:44 AM
BriarGlide
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the sound of it you may want to check your cylinders to see if there is any problems.

From an online source they recommend checking the cam chain tensioner. But I really don't know how reliable that source is. I hope all is well.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:28 AM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 337 Likes on 174 Posts

I experience the same thing when my motor is hot. I was riding in 105 temps last weekend and it was clattering like a train on old tracks. The next morning it was quiet.
Just sayin!!

Old 07-24-2013, 09:30 AM
six_strng_slnger
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's your bike's mileage...cam chain tensioners should be checked at 20k or 25k mine were real close to loosing a bottom end. I had 27k they def made a weird noise

Old 07-24-2013, 10:54 AM
joesride
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What year is your bike ? 2007 and later have the newer style Hydraulic style cam chain/shoes set-up which seems to be much more reliable. I checked mine ( 2008 fxd) at 55k miles and everything looks very good. If yours is older I would certainly check the cam tensioners. You can cut open the oil filter and look through the pleats for shoe material particles.

Having said that, my top end was noisy with Synthetic oil ( singer sewing machine sound of sorts ) .I switched over to Valvolive 20-50 vee twin dino oil and use 1qt of shell rotella dino diesel oil. This for whatever reason makes my top end much quieter, and a few of my friends have switched over to this with the same results. In the winter I run straight Shell rotella diesel oil with great results, then in the spring I switch over to the 20-50 Valvolne/ Shell Rotella mix.....

I live in North West Florida where its hot and humid in summer and believe it or not it gets cold here in the winter, 30s and 40s at night. I ride 365 days a year cold and hot weather and this works great for me. Bike has 57k miles on it with zero troubles.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:33 PM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I usually use regular oil for a break in period on new motors then switch to synthetic oil. Conventional oil breaks down quicker and has more resistance than synthetic oil causing engines to wear quicker. The longer you wait to switch over to synthetic oil the noisier your motor will get due to loosening up from wear.

How many miles are on the engine? It might be time for a rebuild.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:00 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Before you take the engine apart have a really good look at all the bits of the exhaust and heat shields, make sure nothing is loose. Check that the exhaust isn't touching the frame anywhere. Check the front motor mount has clearance between the top of the rubber and lug on the engine. Also check for any other loose stuff like fuel tank mount bolts.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:58 PM
Mike650
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've got about 14,700 miles on it. Been running synthetic since 5000 miles. There's a chance I might have an exhaust leak since I put my th on myself at 300 miles without changing the gaskets since they looked brand new. Maybe ill try putting new gaskets on and see if it helps. I ride it everyday except in rain. Guess ill check the tank too just incase its loose. And at 15k miles I hope it doesn't need a rebuild. The dealer probably wouldn't warranty it because I put the ac and th on myself.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:01 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike650
I've got about 14,700 miles on it. Been running synthetic since 5000 miles. There's a chance I might have an exhaust leak since I put my th on myself at 300 miles without changing the gaskets since they looked brand new. Maybe ill try putting new gaskets on and see if it helps. I ride it everyday except in rain. Guess ill check the tank too just incase its loose. And at 15k miles I hope it doesn't need a rebuild. The dealer probably wouldn't warranty it because I put the ac and th on myself.
If this noise started around the time you fitted the new zorst then, yes, that's a good place to start.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:37 AM
wideglide2012
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my bike it makes noise like that some days and some days it doesnt. But it done it since day one.ive put 10k on mine since last august, i just keep an eye on the oil for metal but is nice and clean so i think its just the nature of the beast

Quick Reply: exsessive valvetrain noise