Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New out look on Dyna ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 11:16 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts
Default New out look on Dyna ride quality

I have had some complaints about the 10 Dyna handling since I bought it. The rough ride and the wobble on high speed turns (75 to 80). I did set the rear shocks on the fourth position and plan to add a 1.5 inch space to the forks to balance the preload with the back.

A while back I bought a 11 XL1200L from a guy in his 80's that was giving up on riding. It had 3,000 miles on it and was pristine. I ran it to 5K to do the service and then ride it to Sturgis coming up.

What I learned in that 2K miles was that the Dyna Super Glide does ride more comfortable than a XL and handles as well.

I had been used to Touring and Softails when I added the Dyna so that was my point of reference. Now, I can compare to the Sporty and realized that the Dyna is a better machine than I had thought.

This coming winter it will be my winter ride. I added a hook up for the heated gloves. Also, I will schedule it to ride to next years Sturgis.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Add a fork brace as well. Those forks look too thick to flex but they do.

I use a True Track stabilizer with fork brace and I'm pretty aggressive when the opportunity exists to grind
the pegs. I found that pre-loading the shocks did almost nothing to really help and pre-loading lowered the
rear enough that I started hitting the pipe mounting bracket.

Everyone's style and local road conditions are different, but before I went with any other changes, I'd try
either a TT or Sprueth stabilizer and fork brace with the shocks in either the first or second "click". That will
get you a long way toward where you want to go without compromising ride height and suspension travel.

Oh, yeah, I had a 2009 XL1200C that I traded in on the FXDC and while I think the Sporty is more nimble when
changing from one direction to another, the actual cornering capability is only slightly better than the Dyna;
mostly due to better peg / exhaust clearance..

Old 07-22-2013, 05:04 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When you upgrade the suspension you will never look back at the sporty.
Quality shocks in the rear and ricor intimidators with 5wt oil and it will feel real nice

Old 07-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I've only owned three Harleys so far, but have rented and ridden on a bunch more. I thought that all the recent ones (including softails) handled quite decently, up to the point where they ran out of cornering clearance, and started grounding hard parts. After that, it doesn't much matter. Nothing handles very well when the wheels get lifted off the pavement.
This is coming from a former hardcore sportbike rider. Modern-day Harleys really don't handle that badly, unless there's something wrong with them mechanically.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:34 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I am definitely going to add a fork brace. After that I will consider a TT.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:04 AM
JDogs
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I am definitely going to add a fork brace. After that I will consider a TT.
I never had a wobble or an issue with my wide glide. When I lowered my bike both front and back with burly shocks, I found the lower center of gravity helped it ride better and track much better then it did with OEM shocks. The only issue is, is when I hit these hard uneven breaks on the fwy pavement, that bounces my *** out of the air...but then I noticed when I drive the same road in my car that the break is noticeable as well...so overall, my lowered bike is handling more then any bike should endeavour, anybike for rust matter. I don't have a need for a true track or a brace. Just my .02¢
Also forgot to mention I have screaming eagle fluid in front forks. Made s huge difference, stiffer ride, doesnt bottom out, but more confidence. I recommend always upgrading for oil.

Last edited by JDogs; 07-25-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:14 AM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 346 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
When you upgrade the suspension you will never look back at the sporty.
Quality shocks in the rear and ricor intimidators with 5wt oil and it will feel real nice
You nailed it. I went with progressive shocks and the Riccor system and could not believe the difference. I feel like I am on rails now. My bike will do 115 with zero wobble. I hate the look of the fork brace and see no need. The Tru Trak is something I am still looking into. Also made a difference when I rebuilt the swingarm. I ride in the mountains for the most part and love the way my Dyna handles.

Attached Thumbnails New out look on Dyna ride quality-0605131919-00.jpg