Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Bleeding Tip

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,748 Likes on 829 Posts
Default Brake Bleeding Tip

Mentioned to a mechanic friend the front brake on my new bike needed to be bled. He shared a tip he used when he worked at a dealership. Wrap a cloth around the throttle grip and engage the brake fully. Use a long tie wrap pulled around the grip to hold the brake engaged overnight. The constant pressure will force air bubbles to work their way to the brake fluid resovoir. I tried it and it worked.

Attached Thumbnails Brake Bleeding Tip-image.jpg  
Old 07-21-2013, 08:28 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 136 Posts

Yup, has worked for me as well.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Jlongshore
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What?!! That is awesome. Never heard of that one. I just bled brakes on my in-laws bike and wish I would have seen this tip sooner. Thanks for sharing info.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:03 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlongshore
What?!! That is awesome. Never heard of that one. I just bled brakes on my in-laws bike and wish I would have seen this tip sooner. Thanks for sharing info.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:56 PM
tcabello
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Antonio *****
Mentioned to a mechanic friend the front brake on my new bike needed to be bled. He shared a tip he used when he worked at a dealership. Wrap a cloth around the throttle grip and engage the brake fully. Use a long tie wrap pulled around the grip to hold the brake engaged overnight. The constant pressure will force air bubbles to work their way to the brake fluid resovoir. I tried it and it worked.
I apologize for being stupid...but what happens after you hold the brake lever overnight and the bubbles work their way to the reservoir???...what's the next step??? Take the reservoir cap off and top off with fluid???

Old 07-22-2013, 01:04 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If it needs to be topped off afterwards, yes.
This is a old school trick that works.
I use a vacuum to change brake fluid or bleed and then I will do this to make sure no air is stuck anywhere. If air is in the line somewhere it can get stuck is a few areas this helps to move the air out. Banjo fittings, master cylinder air can get stuck there.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:08 PM
oneballz
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Antonio *****
Bungee Cord works too!

Old 07-22-2013, 01:39 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I have another tip for you, when the bike is on kick stand, the handlebar always cranks to the left. Turn the handlebar all the way to the right while you are bleeding, the bleeder screw sits higher that way, air will come out a lot easier. Trust me

Old 07-22-2013, 01:51 PM
tcabello
Tourer

Sooo is there a way to pull off this trick for rear brakes???...perhaps place a heavy rock or weight to depress rear brake lever and leave it like that overnight???

Old 07-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Psycho Steve
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

doing it now great advice

Quick Reply: Brake Bleeding Tip