Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock risers on 13 sb?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:06 PM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stock risers on 13 sb?

i recently replaced my apes and put them on the stock risers. since then, i've realized that my risers themselves seem to to be rocking a bit if i pull on the bars. it's not the bars slipping, but movement where the risers meet the triple trees. it doesn't seem like the bolt underneath is loose, but it makes me nervous that something is wrong. the other day i was stopped and kinda pulled on the bars to help lift me off the seat to readjust, and they sorta pulled back a few inches, and it freaked me out so i pushed them back real quick. anyone had an issue like this before?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:18 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by deuce_streetbob
i recently replaced my apes and put them on the stock risers. since then, i've realized that my risers themselves seem to to be rocking a bit if i pull on the bars. it's not the bars slipping, but movement where the risers meet the triple trees. it doesn't seem like the bolt underneath is loose, but it makes me nervous that something is wrong. the other day i was stopped and kinda pulled on the bars to help lift me off the seat to readjust, and they sorta pulled back a few inches, and it freaked me out so i pushed them back real quick. anyone had an issue like this before?
You've got the stock rubber bushings. Replace them with nylon bushings. The rubber ones are ok with drag bars or other short bars, but the long leverage of apes is too much for them. What you feel is normal, but trust me, you want nylon bushings. They're cheap, easy to install and the solution to your problem.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:21 PM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master

i was wondering if it was the rubber "giving way." that makes total sense though, and like i said it freaked me out. at first i thought it was the bars slipping, but then noticed when i pushed them back that it wasn't the bars that moved. needless to say, i rode home a bit nerve wracked...lol. anyway, thanks for confirming that. can you recommend where i can find the nylon replacements?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:34 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

I know HD has them. I'm pretty sure Biltwell and Lowbrow Customs has them too. Probably available at all the normal handlebar makers. They're very cheap though. I'd just pick them up at a dealership.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:39 PM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master

cool, thanks for the advice. much appreciated.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:30 PM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master

i found a few from drag specialties, but they say that it won't work for a 13 streetbob. i checked lowbrow and biltwell and found nothing on their website. i also checked harley's website, and theirs say not for 13 bob as well. not sure what to do here...

Old 07-17-2013, 06:31 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

I know HD has them because I have them on my bike. I'll see if I can find the P/N.

I suspect that the DS version just doesn't have the listing updated. Remember the Street Bob had integrated risers for a few years. They went back to normal for '13.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Elemental13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just go to your local moco dealer and they will be able to help you i used urethane on mine because i had the same thing happen to me it freaked me out when i was backing the bike up and my bars moved lol low and behold it was just the bushings just be sure to double check your riser bolt torque when you are done there kind of a pain to get to spec with the headlight on it

Old 07-17-2013, 02:52 PM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I was going to respond last night about it being the bushings, and went to a site that showed OEM parts break down to post a pic example. It showed the SB having integrated risers, and not wanting to give bad info I said nothing.

SLV, thanks for noting the change in the '13 riser set up, as the diagram was incorrect for that year.
So from last night at 9:10PM, its your bushings, replace with poly/nylon ones. OK, I feel better, now. tp dd50

Old 07-17-2013, 03:55 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

I can't find my receipt with the part numbers, but they are HD brand for sure. Like $6 or $8 if I remember right.

They are polyurethane and not nylon as previously noted (by me.)

You would think that a polymer engineer would get that right! Although, nylon would work fine for this application.

Quick Reply: stock risers on 13 sb?