Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question For Those With Black Denim Paint....

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 07:20 AM
WMX124
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Question For Those With Black Denim Paint....

Finally got a chance to test ride the two bikes I was interested in, Fat Bob and Street Bob. Decided I like the feel of the Street Bob. The dealer has one 2013 left in black denim, 96" motor, and fwd controls. They are running a promotion to get the 2013's off the floor before the 2014's come in. Out the door for MSRP. Sounds like a decent deal to me.

If I had a choice I would go with the vivid black. The sales guy told me straight up that he has seen bikes come in with discoloration due to using the wrong products on the paint. He also told me that if you get a decent scratch, there's no means of buffing it out like a regular clear coat paint job. He then added on that it's pretty rugged and he doesn't foresee me having any issues.... So, for those with black denim paint, have you had any issues with washing, polishing, discoloration, or scratches?

Thanks.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:35 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by WMX124
Finally got a chance to test ride the two bikes I was interested in, Fat Bob and Street Bob. Decided I like the feel of the Street Bob. The dealer has one 2013 left in black denim, 96" motor, and fwd controls. They are running a promotion to get the 2013's off the floor before the 2014's come in. Out the door for MSRP. Sounds like a decent deal to me.

If I had a choice I would go with the vivid black. The sales guy told me straight up that he has seen bikes come in with discoloration due to using the wrong products on the paint. He also told me that if you get a decent scratch, there's no means of buffing it out like a regular clear coat paint job. He then added on that it's pretty rugged and he doesn't foresee me having any issues.... So, for those with black denim paint, have you had any issues with washing, polishing, discoloration, or scratches?

Thanks.
It's the paint for someone who doesn't care if their bike looks perfect. You can't polish it. If it gets scratched, there's no removing it. There's no clear coat to work with, like regular paint. So no waxing. If you're careful and don't set stuff on it it's great. I've had my tank original since 2009 and it does have two scratches from my jacket or keys but they don't bother me anymore. Just a little windex and a microfiber to clean which is nice. It took me a while to come around to the paint. .I loved it when I got it, but after that first scratch I was annoyed. .a year or so later I had some more and they just don't bother me as much anymore. Things to keep in mind. Also if you run a 2 up seat and want to switch to a solo some day. .there will be rub marks in the paint and there's no covering those up or buffing them out unless you throw a fender bib on etc.

It's perfect for me since I don't like waxing on this bike. I don't really bother with detailing I'll just rinse off with soap/water occasionally. If I got a Road King some day I'd want the clear coat etc for a nice paint job.

Last edited by mattVA; 07-10-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:36 AM
nakbuc
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black denim SB

i love the Denim paint, there aren't to many of them around here. everybody has shiny black and chrome. But if you like the Vivid Black, wait to get what you want, it's too hard to change if your not in love with it. as far as maintenance goes, some people say you don't need to wash often it but that's not true. it shows water spots just like any other black paint. however washing is rather easy. i use Harley Denim paint cleaner. spray on wipe off with micro fiber cloth. some scratches/scuffs you can remove with a Clay Bar if they are not into the paint. just don't go too much or you will start to buff it. chips and deep scratches your stuck with.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:48 AM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

i just use windex or hd denim cleaner and it looks great -
goto the dealer walk around the outside lot -
look at the paint jobs in the sun ---- then look at the denim
even dirty ,the denim still looks cleaner then the normal paint jobs

Old 07-10-2013, 12:51 PM
brandon95354
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default denim

i started using chemical guys matt paint cleaner, works way better than windex, and way better than the HD denim paint cleaner is basically windex in a HD labeled bottle. the chemical guys cleaner has UV protectant in it also

Old 07-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,700 Likes on 809 Posts
Default A banker's opinion.

Don't buy a new end of model year bike because it is a "good deal". Here's why:
Every new bike loses value (depreciates) as soon as you drive it off the lot. As soon as the 2014's hit the dealership your bike will be one model year old which eats up additional depreciation.
Now, if it is the exact bike you want (no compromises) AND if you know FOR SURE the 2014 model will be EXACTLY the same as the 2013 AND you get the bike for a VERY GOOD DEAL ( like below dealer cost) then it is worth considering.
If the 2014 have only 103 cu in engines that will have a larger negative effect on the 96 cu in 2013.
BTW, three weeks ago I bought a 2013 FXDC with smooth wheel option and two tone paint option for $1,700 under MSRP. It had rained for six days straight and I went right to the sales manager and said I am ready to buy that day.
One more thought; you are paying major league money no matter what the deal is and, if you plan on keeping the bike for years to come, the initial savings get lost over time.

Last edited by Antonio Balls; 07-10-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the denim, buddy has vivid. At the end of the day, the vivid looks dirty, it then requires wash, soap, and wax/polish to get the shine back. At angles of light you can see tons of tiny scratches from rough cloth etc. Denim, already looks good faded so when it gets dirty, it still looks pretty good. It doesn't require wax or polish either. It does scratch, but so will anything. Its easy to buff them out if its not too bad. I have a denim paint pen I have used to touch up areas that needed it, it works well and I wouldn't trade my denim for vivid.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:43 PM
WMX124
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Antonio *****
Don't buy a new end of model year bike because it is a "good deal". Here's why:
Every new bike loses value (depreciates) as soon as you drive it off the lot. As soon as the 2014's hit the dealership your bike will be one model year old which eats up additional depreciation.
Now, if it is the exact bike you want (no compromises) AND if you know FOR SURE the 2014 model will be EXACTLY the same as the 2013 AND you get the bike for a VERY GOOD DEAL ( like below dealer cost) then it is worth considering.
If the 2014 have only 103 cu in engines that will have a larger negative effect on the 96 cu in 2013.
BTW, three weeks ago I bought a 2013 FXDC with smooth wheel option and two tone paint option for $1,200 under MSRP. It had rained for six days straight and I went right to the sales manager and said I am ready to buy that day.
One more thought; you are paying major league money no matter what the deal is and, if you plan on keeping the bike for years to come, the initial savings get lost over time.
Good insight. Though no negotiation took place that day, he came right out of the gate offering MSRP out the door. I thought it seemed like a good place to start.

I'm not totally sold on the denim paint so I don't think I'll jump on this bike. I'm hoping the 2014's all have the 103 from the factory. To me, it makes sense for them to do that.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Rasconzo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Denim isn't as easy to maintain. The paint can "gloss" over if you rub or scrub it too much. My tank has some spots where during the debadging process I got impatience and rushed. But it wears in nicely over time and just has a certain degree of cool to it.

But its all in what you like and what you think looks good.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:25 PM
macnab_sf
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WMX124

Thanks.

I have denim black.

If you want shiny black, wait for it and get it. Pass on this deal and get a 103" in shiny black.

Quick Reply: Question For Those With Black Denim Paint....