Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question For Those With Black Denim Paint....

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 09:22 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I have Denim Black and I have a love hate relationship with it after about 18 months.
Clean, it looks just bitchin' but it gets dirty in about 20 seconds and dust shows. Scratches are. Royal PITA since you can't repair them, period. Unlike gloss paint blending takes a real special painter. I have seen touch ups and well it looks just like that, a touch up. Denim is for someone who wants that rough in look. Want to add options that are color matched? It will be really pricey.
Want to add flames, save up some bucks because you can't just wet sand and spray over than clear coat.
Pros: Super easy to clean, simply wipe down with either glass cleaner, Harley Denim cleaner, or any detail spray all using a micro towel.

Bob

Old 07-11-2013, 10:50 PM
GoGetter5832
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a vivid black custom sportster and bought my 2011 Wide Glide in Vivid Black. After 6 months I couldn't stand the small "swirls" that show up in the glossy paint no matter how good you treat it. I am one of the most meticulous people when it comes to my bike but the up keep for vivid black just became exhausting. I had my bike painted dark matte grey and have loved it ever since. No waxing, no worrying about sun beating off it so bad you can cook an egg, etc. At the end of the day, I personally think Denim is easier and it fits the look I want.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

I've had my black Denim for 4 years. 25,000 miles and plenty of rain...not to mention parked outside a lot...under trees...sap...bird ****..squirrels eating oranges, etc. all it takes is a bucket of warm water and a sponge to look showroom new. Absolutely the most maintenance free paint ever. Zero waxing!

About 2 years ago I dropped my keys on the tank. Nice deep scratch...damn..swear i could see metal...but about a few months later it was gone. Invisible. Like the paint just smoothed over with a few washes...no rust. No issues. No marks. Just gone.

If you like the Denim look I say go for it. If you prefer vivid, well you will wish you had if you don't so get the right paint for you. Just don't fear the Denim.

Edit. I've had no issues color matching paint. I rattle canned my strut covers, turn signals, headlight bucket, and shocks and everyone thinks they are powder. Perfect match for $6.95

Last edited by Thingfish; 07-12-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
About 2 years ago I dropped my keys on the tank. Nice deep scratch...damn..swear i could see metal...but about a few months later it was gone. Invisible. Like the paint just smoothed over with a few washes...no rust. No issues. No marks. Just gone.
I too have experienced this strange phenomenon.... scraped a wrench across it while messing with my air cleaner, it left a noticeable mark. After a few washes it too disappeared. Almost like it just fades into the black...

Old 07-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

My last two Harleys were vivid black. My latest is denim black. I have had it since October and 4700 all weather miles later, I am more happy with denim than I ever was with vivid. Your results may vary.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:31 PM
2-whlz
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok. I don't have a denim yet, but I absolutely love the look. I have had most of the typical conserns like how to keep clean what if I scratch it etc... I talked to a guy last fall and he said that his uncle was a body shop guy and his advise was if u get marks in your denim paint just use a brown paper bag to wipe it down and poof good as new. The only thing I can say is his bike looked like it just came off the showroom floor other than the fact that it had like 18000 miles on it. Just my $.02 and I can't wait to finish my 04 FXST with denim black tins.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:32 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WMX124
Finally got a chance to test ride the two bikes I was interested in, Fat Bob and Street Bob. Decided I like the feel of the Street Bob. The dealer has one 2013 left in black denim, 96" motor, and fwd controls. They are running a promotion to get the 2013's off the floor before the 2014's come in. Out the door for MSRP. Sounds like a decent deal to me.

If I had a choice I would go with the vivid black. The sales guy told me straight up that he has seen bikes come in with discoloration due to using the wrong products on the paint. He also told me that if you get a decent scratch, there's no means of buffing it out like a regular clear coat paint job. He then added on that it's pretty rugged and he doesn't foresee me having any issues.... So, for those with black denim paint, have you had any issues with washing, polishing, discoloration, or scratches?

Thanks.
Dealer pushing you towards the vivid black more expensive Fat Bob? hehe.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:55 PM
WMX124
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nubz
Dealer pushing you towards the vivid black more expensive Fat Bob? hehe.
No. There were no vivid black Fat Bobs.

Guy just gave me his opinion on black denim paint.