Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question For Those With Black Denim Paint....

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 04:41 PM
10ovr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamite
I have the denim, buddy has vivid. At the end of the day, the vivid looks dirty, it then requires wash, soap, and wax/polish to get the shine back. At angles of light you can see tons of tiny scratches from rough cloth , etc. Denim, already looks good faded so when it gets dirty, it still looks pretty good. It doesn't require wax or polish either. It does scratch, but so will anything. Its easy to buff them out if it's not too bad. I have a denim paint pen I have used to touch up areas that needed it, it works well and I wouldn't trade my denim for vivid.
I have the Vivid black and you right,,Just touch it and it scratches ,,Softest clear coat I have ever dealt with,,,Im using Turtle Wax Black Box and it works very good,,You have to work in straight lines not circles ,,All and all Black is a pain in the ***,,But it looks so good,,,,

Old 07-10-2013, 10:07 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Denim Black!

I use Meguiers Quik Detailer and Microfiber after every ride. I haven't actually washed my bike (except the wheels) in over a year. Everyone comments that my bike is super clean!

Old 07-11-2013, 01:28 AM
toku58
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say don't settle for anything! Get exactly what you want! It's gonna be really expensive if you make a choice you're not really happy with!

Old 07-11-2013, 02:53 AM
LagunaGlide
Road Master
Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

I can verify for you that the 96in is gone in 2014. I placed an order for a 2014 this week, and it only comes in the 103. Not a bad thing since they not really changing the MSRP, but just something to keep in mind. Also on the 2014 you can get ABS without the Security sytem, and vice versa. On the 2013 if you want one you are getting both.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:28 AM
WMX124
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackburnD
I can verify for you that the 96in is gone in 2014. I placed an order for a 2014 this week, and it only comes in the 103. Not a bad thing since they not really changing the MSRP, but just something to keep in mind. Also on the 2014 you can get ABS without the Security sytem, and vice versa. On the 2013 if you want one you are getting both.
That's interesting.

The guy I spoke with at the dealership told me they know nothing about the 2014s other than which models are being discontinued. Did they happen to show you images of the bike before you purchased it? I assume it's exactly the same since they just changed a few things last year.

Thanks for the heads up. The 103 isn't a deal breaker for me but it would be nice to have. I was actually surprised at how quick the 96 was. Coming from sport bikes I guess I expected it to be slower than it is. I was pleasantly surprised.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:15 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

my bike is vivid black and it's a BITCH to keep nice. that being said, i'm beyond OCD about it and used to run my own detailing shop, so everyone always comments about how nice my paint looks.

i wipe it down with a CLEAN microfiber towel and some spray polish after every ride (takes 5 minutes) and i never touch the paint when there's dust on it. that's how you get scratches.

on rainy days i clay, polish, and wax the tins. it's too much work for some, but it's therapy for me.

after having said all that...i wish my bike was denim black. i love the look of gloss powdered cases against denim tins. also, i'd like the relative ease of maintenance for the denim paint.

Originally Posted by Antonio *****
Don't buy a new end of model year bike because it is a "good deal". Here's why:
Every new bike loses value (depreciates) as soon as you drive it off the lot. As soon as the 2014's hit the dealership your bike will be one model year old which eats up additional depreciation.
Now, if it is the exact bike you want (no compromises) AND if you know FOR SURE the 2014 model will be EXACTLY the same as the 2013 AND you get the bike for a VERY GOOD DEAL ( like below dealer cost) then it is worth considering.
If the 2014 have only 103 cu in engines that will have a larger negative effect on the 96 cu in 2013.
BTW, three weeks ago I bought a 2013 FXDC with smooth wheel option and two tone paint option for $1,700 under MSRP. It had rained for six days straight and I went right to the sales manager and said I am ready to buy that day.
One more thought; you are paying major league money no matter what the deal is and, if you plan on keeping the bike for years to come, the initial savings get lost over time.

this is ridiculous advice. don't buy the bike with the resale value in mind. what if you wait until 2014, get the bike you want, then drop it on the second day of owning it? there goes your resale value right there.

buy the bike because you like it and can get it for a good price, don't buy something that's new to you with the idea already in your head that you're going to sell it.

you could end up like me 4 years later with not one stock part left on the bike.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:03 AM
WMX124
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The sportbike I just sold was gloss black, so I understand what you mean when you say its hard to keep it looking clean. That aspect doesn't bother me so much.

Scratches annoy me and I like that on a gloss paint job you can use just about every product under the sun to eliminate or hide minor scratches. The denim requires the proper treatment, but you cant rub it too much or it might buff, and if you scratch it your screwed. I just found pictures of the HD color book for 2014 models and they have some interesting schemes for next year.

I think I'm going to wait it out for a month and see what the new ones look like. Had my last bike for 5 years, plan on keeping this one at least that long. Seems like high mileage doesn't bother these engines. I'm not really bent on preserving the resale value, just want to get a good deal on the initial purchase.

Thanks for the input.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:51 AM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

dont wash or scrub flat black paint, if your a clean freak and wipe after every ride and bug dont get a flat color

Old 07-11-2013, 02:56 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by rs87277
dont wash or scrub flat black paint, if your a clean freak and wipe after every ride and bug dont get a flat color
I don't know why you say that Bro. I wipe down BOTH my black denim bikes to get the bugs off just about every time I ride 'em and wash 'em every time I ride in the rain and mine still look great.

A little scratch marks here and there (maybe 1 or 2 on each) don't look any worse than the swirl marks on EVERY vivid black bike I've ever seen has.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,730 Likes on 822 Posts
Default You missed my point completely

Originally Posted by toastman
my bike is vivid black and it's a BITCH to keep nice. that being said, i'm beyond OCD about it and used to run my own detailing shop, so everyone always comments about how nice my paint looks.

i wipe it down with a CLEAN microfiber towel and some spray polish after every ride (takes 5 minutes) and i never touch the paint when there's dust on it. that's how you get scratches.

on rainy days i clay, polish, and wax the tins. it's too much work for some, but it's therapy for me.

after having said all that...i wish my bike was denim black. i love the look of gloss powdered cases against denim tins. also, i'd like the relative ease of maintenance for the denim paint.

this is ridiculous advice. don't buy the bike with the resale value in mind. what if you wait until 2014, get the bike you want, then drop it on the second day of owning it? there goes your resale value right there.

buy the bike because you like it and can get it for a good price, don't buy something that's new to you with the idea already in your head that you're going to sell it.

you could end up like me 4 years later with not one stock part left on the bike.
Perhaps I wasn't clear or you didn't get my point. If you read the guy's original post he stated he was considering a 2013, 96 cu in bike BECAUSE IT WAS A GOOD DEAL. My point is today's good deal is tomorrow's poor deal. So, as you said, buy the bike you like. Negotiate the best deal. Thought I was clear.

Quick Reply: Question For Those With Black Denim Paint....