Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint horn cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 04:39 PM
skullyface
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Paint horn cover

when i got the bike i pulled the horn bell and the ac cover off and tossed them in my blast cabinet. roughed the chrome up and then powdercoated them with Eastwood's flat black hoping to match HD's "denim". After putting them in the wind for over 20,000 miles, I've noticed that the stuff I powdercoated starts looking dirty or faded earlier than the factory stuff. If I wipe the bell down with STP or something to clean it then it starts looking pretty close to HD denim again. I'm still experimenting with how to more closely match HD's powdercoating. For now, I think I'm going to yank the pieces again and shoot them with wrinkle.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:51 PM
skullyface
Advanced

The other side.

Name:  DSC_1399.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  131.5 KB

Old 03-05-2007, 06:10 PM
mcurry5
Road Captain

you can have it powder coated for about 10 bucks. why go through the hassle that you are going through ???

Old 03-05-2007, 06:38 PM
skullyface
Advanced

mcurry5,

i'm kinda cornfused here. are you asking me about "the hassle" or someone else earlier in the thread?

If you are asking me, then the answer is "cuz I'd rather do it myself than pay someone else". I think the cost to me is about 50 cents or something. and that's probably including the electricity to power my oven and air. The powder itself is very cheap. But regardless of the cost, I have more pride in something that I made/did/created than something I wrote a check for. There's already too many GoldCard Harley riders out there for my liking anyway.

-skully

Old 03-07-2007, 01:29 PM
mcurry5
Road Captain

dude we are talking about the Horn cover, we are not talking a major thing here. ALl i said was why go through the hassle of sanding,priming, painting and what not when you can go get the part powder coated for a mere 10 bucks, to me thats saving money because my time is more important than 10 bucks. Also unless you made all the parts on your bike on your bike your are one of the "GOLD CARD" A lot of custom bikesarent neccessarily about making things yourself its the ideas that you have and put those ideas onto the bike. Most of the best builders in the world send a lot of there stuff out. But its the total package of THEIR ideas that make their bike a custom. Unless there is a part or a style that nobody sells or makes I can see then making your own. To each there own I guess, I would rather spend my time riding than taking hours to paint a horn cover just because you dont want to be labeled a "gold card" rider.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:33 PM
mcurry5
Road Captain

And my original comment was to Theeboy. But take it for what it is.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:45 PM
skullyface
Advanced

it was just a horn cover. not a major thing. that's why i replied here instead of starting another thread somewhere else like a punk.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:31 PM
JimboFXD
Cruiser

Great post! I painted mine as well. I used some fine sand paper and sprayed it with BBQ grill paint. I used this paint on my pipes and wheels as well. It has held up great and I enjoy the fact I did it myself. I used the $10 I saved to have the powder coater jack it up and threw it into the kids need shoes fund. As soon as it dried I put it on the bike and by doing so avoided the "we lost it" or "it will be done next week when we get a batch of parts that color to do" phone calls to the powder coater.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:31 PM
mcurry5
Road Captain

"PUNK" thats clever. Now why the harsh words ? Are you upset or something ? RELAX and ride since you are fortunate enough to have nice weather right now.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:32 PM
mcurry5
Road Captain

Wow Jimbo that must have struck a nerve. calm down and relax.

Quick Reply: Paint horn cover