Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint horn cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 03:39 PM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Paint horn cover

ORIGINAL: metal_mike

ORIGINAL: bobcowan

Scuffed a little with fine sandpaper. Cleaned with a brillo pad. Powdercoated translucent red.

looks good man...i love the translucents over chrome....did wifey's in trans-purple and it looks hot!
just got some of the red and blue in....have a bunch of other translucent colors as well...man this stuff's cool!!
That red does kick !as! I've seen bobcowen's purple which is cool as well - very creative!

Old 03-01-2007, 03:40 PM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: metal_mike

ORIGINAL: bobcowan

Scuffed a little with fine sandpaper. Cleaned with a brillo pad. Powdercoated translucent red.

looks good man...i love the translucents over chrome....did wifey's in trans-purple and it looks hot!
just got some of the red and blue in....have a bunch of other translucent colors as well...man this stuff's cool!!
That red does kick !as! I've seen bobcowen's purple which is cool as well - very creative!

Old 03-01-2007, 04:13 PM
risdo
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where do you get those 3M scrub pads? Grocery store? Wal-Mart?Paint store? Home Depot?

Also, for you guys who did the translucent paint, can you get that in black? (That red looks great, man)

By the way... I didn't paint my horn cover; I bought a crinkle black one out of the '06 Harley catalog for $34.95. Should I be embarrassed? (see below... sorry, it's the only pic I have)

EDIT: oops, I went back and read Metal Mike's post... just one more question: what's the WD-40 for?

Old 03-01-2007, 04:48 PM
TheeBoy
Tourer

risdo that one looks cool, nice bars and mirrors

Old 03-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Cory
Tourer

Did the same thing to mine....just scuffed the chrome with a green scotch-brite pad, shot it with some duplicolor primer, and then a couple coats of duplicolor flat black.

have logged about 3000 miles since I painted it and no chips or problems.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:50 PM
TheeBoy
Tourer

Man my horn came out looking like ****. hahahahaha, I am going to sand this thing back down and redo. I also picked up a set of used highway pegs mounts that are all rusted up so I will pull them apart and pain them too. will update with picks when i am satisfied.

Old 03-04-2007, 02:16 PM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: TheeBoy

Thanks for all the replys. That red cover does look awesome, and while I knew I was not being original man I didn't know this was done that much. It's all good I love the look.

As for the powdercoat it comment, I would and will for other pieces (in the future)but I like getting my hands dirty and making things happen myself every once in a while. That's how i feel you really make things your own, I am glad I can pay for things, but **** it feels good to use your hands to make things too. That's just me
I agree brother! I made the powder coat comment, just fit at the time. I have several bomb-canned items on my bike as well (as long as they are tucked away from road debris). My only issue w/ hand painting is chips from rocks.I live on gravel and have 2 miles to travel in either direction to hit pavement. My coater works at a facilty that does industrial work (nuke plants, etc) and I've never had any of his work chip.

Do your hand-painted items hold up to the gravel road test???

Old 03-04-2007, 07:57 PM
TheeBoy
Tourer

haven't really tested it out but probably not. I am not so concerned with small pieces like the horn cover but as for the highway mount pegs I may be f'd as far as scratches and chips go. I may end up powder coating if my 2nd attempt still looks like *** or if they get chipped
etc

Old 03-05-2007, 12:51 AM
metal_mike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: risdo

Where do you get those 3M scrub pads? Grocery store? Wal-Mart?Paint store? Home Depot?

Also, for you guys who did the translucent paint, can you get that in black? (That red looks great, man)

By the way... I didn't paint my horn cover; I bought a crinkle black one out of the '06 Harley catalog for $34.95. Should I be embarrassed? (see below... sorry, it's the only pic I have)

EDIT: oops, I went back and read Metal Mike's post... just one more question: what's the WD-40 for?

the wd-40 acts as a lube/cutting oil....speeds up the process
and yes i have black translucent powder as well...looks killer over chrome!
theeboy....i'd be glad to do some powdercoating for you...pm me

Old 03-05-2007, 11:44 AM
3dynaP
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks nice.

Quick Reply: Paint horn cover