Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock A/C Cover

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 05:13 PM
Patch
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stock A/C Cover

I have a 2005 FXDCI with the SE stage 1 a/c and football cover.
I want to go with the round, what is the "extra " gasket that you are refering to?
is it the little piece of triangular rubber that on the air filter housing?
I want round.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Chipstah
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got home and slapped on the new cover - installed pics of new air cleaner cover below.

Patch: The gasket is round: Gasket Kit P/N 29591-99 and is needed according to the HD web site for the Nostalgia "Bar and Shield" round 8" air cleaner cover. Check out the Accessories for Dynas link on the HD web site and search for 'air cleaner cover' - all the currently available air cleaner covers for Dynas can be found there with prices, part #s, and model/year fitment applications.

The gasket is not required for HD #29153-07, the smooth round 7" air cleaner cover (if you have an SE Stage 1 intake) as mentioned in the OP's post and the pics I posted above and in this post below - which has just become available for $39.95. Also, Ness has a nice round cover for SE Stage 1 or Ness' Big Sucker for $54.95. Other aftermarket ideas have been posted previously or can be found on the J&P Cycles web site. Search the forum here or on J&P for 'air cleaner cover.'

I have a K&N filter with the SE Stage 1 intake as seen below. Fits perfectly using the stock a/c cover bolt. But it might just be a bit too much chrome for me, so may 'tone it down' a bit and try to match the 'brushed' look on the heads, or perhaps get it powder coated flat black - will have to think about it some to see what I think will look the best and fit in with the rest of the Bobstah.

Chip

closeup:

as far back as I could get:

Old 02-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Patch
Tourer

Chip;

thanks for the info, going to the HD site now
I have chrome rocker box covers so I love it!

Old 02-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Chipstah
Road Warrior

Patch - just an FYI - I thought long and hard about the Nostalgia 'Bar and Shield' a/c cover but in the end decided on the plain smooth round one because a) it was an inch smaller in diameter (7" vs. 8"), and b) it had a large open slot on the bottom (about 1/3 is open around the sides) to help increase air flow into the filter - I don't believe the 'Bar and Shield' one has any opening (s) - it's just solid all around the sides. Many have gone with just a round a/c cover 'insert' for greater breathing and to be even smaller, that is about 5 5/8" in diameter just covering the filter in front like the skull one, Live to Ride, Eagle, Jack Daniels or the ones that can be found at www.azece.com. These leave the filter open to rain, etc and while many say this isn't a problem, others disagree. So I figured the #29153-07 cover I just bought was the best of both worlds (sorta) with good breathing capabilities AND protection from the elements.

Chip

Old 02-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Patch
Tourer

Chip, I agree with you
I too am looking for a round one and thought I would get the nostalgic one because it covered the openings to the heads...But I like the cutout for extra air intake
everything is a trade off ................

andI know the open ones look great but I also know they let the rain in.
so I like the smaller diameter and cutout...nice minimilist look
and it will be easier to get myright leg to the highway bars
I just don't know how it will look with the air openings from the heads exposed

thanks for all you help Chip

Old 02-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Chipstah
Road Warrior

You're welcome! [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 02-27-2007, 09:50 PM
sjcope13
Tourer

Chip,
Thanks from me also. Looks good and can't wait to put it on the bike. Should be here in a couple of days.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:35 PM
Original Junior
Road Master

Here's a pic of my air wing cover coated wrinkle black.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6080/607949A7927143E194F46A54882238EA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6080/F1EE121C29CC447DBBD57C2DB8F1B92F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-28-2007, 02:16 AM
Chipstah
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: sjcope13

Chip,
Thanks from me also. Looks good and can't wait to put it on the bike. Should be here in a couple of days.
Make sure to post some pics when you get yours!

Glad I could help - I've gotten so much help and so many great ideas from everyone here at hdforums that it feels good to be able to give back a little every now and again (at least when I can). I have picked up so many a/c covers ideas from everyone here, that soon I'll be able to have a different look for each day of the week - LOL!

Suspect that this one will end up winning in the end!

Chip

Old 02-28-2007, 10:33 PM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: sjcope13

Thanks Dynblack. I will see what this one looks like. Kind of plain, but like the round look.Like that bar and shield look on the EVO one. Do you have any pics of yours? Anyone else replace theirs and if so, can you post some pics. Thanks. I hate this site. I always see stuff on other bikes and want to add it to mine.
8" Arlen Ness 'bargin bin special' (peeling chrome) - powdercoated wrinkle black w/ silver on black SE trim ring. Total cost $38.00

[IMG]local://upfiles/11891/1DEB3715A42D4A329F414A9AA9D3C587.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Stock A/C Cover