Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone remove apes for lower extended reach or ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Stanger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone remove apes for lower extended reach or ??

I have been toying with the idea of changing out the apes for some 4" risers with 2" pullback, and a set of extended reach bars. Ilike to lean backwhile riding and to do this I need to have the bars back further and well maybenot so tall. Ilove the look of apes, but I amdoubting the idea of long rideswith them. Maybe just me but I am lookingfor advice from anyone. Thanks for your time on this.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:40 PM
thebestofindica
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: anyone remove apes for lower extended reach or ??

I haven't gone with lower bars, but I say do it! You won't have to extend anything and will be able to go internal wired while your at it. There are some on here that have gone with drag style bars and even one with beach bars. Good luck.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Huebie
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ihave exactly what you are looking for and love them. See attached picture

[IMG]local://upfiles/21491/71F4D426A04941F39F70494B45FCD94A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Stanger
Road Master

Guys, thanks for the replys.
Huebie, that is something like what I was looking for possible. I have been looking at different variations and have been just looking for that right combo and was just wondering what others have done to accomplish this. I am a rookie when it comes to measuring bars and how all the numbers corralate to each other. The one that throws me is the "Pullback" numbers. I have tried to rotate my mini-apes back, but then the grips are basically facing the down and this is not very comfortable. So I am trying to figure this all out.
Again, thanks for any responses.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:23 PM
soup48
Road Captain

I have installed the type of risers you are talking about. Look at the pics in my photos and you will see my wife on her bike with the risers. The risers came from my brother who has a FXDL. If this will help you.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:50 PM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: thebestofindica

I haven't gone with lower bars, but I say do it! You won't have to extend anything and will be able to go internal wired while your at it. There are some on here that have gone with drag style bars and even one with beach bars. Good luck.
I switched to stock Night Train bars and Drag Specialties 6" smooth risers and luv them! BUT, I'm 6'3" with very long limbs and can use all the extra reach they afford me. I may, however, need to switch to beach bars this Spring, depending on how the drags treat my freshly rebuilt shoulder...

[IMG]local://upfiles/11891/C21A26857DE74DF0973A0AD5F05DD115.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-26-2007, 09:57 PM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Stanger

Guys, thanks for the replys.
Huebie, that is something like what I was looking for possible. I have been looking at different variations and have been just looking for that right combo and was just wondering what others have done to accomplish this. I am a rookie when it comes to measuring bars and how all the numbers corralate to each other. The one that throws me is the "Pullback" numbers. I have tried to rotate my mini-apes back, but then the grips are basically facing the down and this is not very comfortable. So I am trying to figure this all out.
Again, thanks for any responses.
I'm sure other will agree rolling your apes back is a cardinal styling sin. If anything, you will see them rolled forward... IMHO, of course!

Old 02-26-2007, 10:14 PM
ROADTRAIN
Road Captain

I have been toying with the idea of changing out the apes for some 4" risers with 2" pullback, and a set of extended reach bars. Ilike to lean backwhile riding and to do this I need to have the bars back further and well maybenot so tall. Ilove the look of apes, but I amdoubting the idea of long rideswith them. Maybe just me but I am lookingfor advice from anyone. Thanks for your time on this.
this is what I've come up withfor my wife, lots of different combos available you just need to find whats good for you.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Stanger
Road Master

Roadtrain,
That is exactly what I was talking about. I hate the idea of having to get rid of the Apes, but dam it is just to far to reach comfortably with long travels. Thanks for the pics, this is what I was looking for.
Boogie,
You are exactly correct on the sin of rolling them back, this is why I am going with the risers. I can not do this sin, it just is not right.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:37 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

have you been on "long rides" w/current setup?
I'm 5'9 tops and have 16" apes couldn't be more comfy and yes for long trips too say 300+ miles/day

Quick Reply: anyone remove apes for lower extended reach or ??