Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some MAJOR Help with Forward Controls!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:12 PM
elvissf33
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some MAJOR Help with Forward Controls!!!

I hope someone can help me out on here. I have a 2007 Street Bob and want to put forward controls on it. I bought the controls and the parts guys told me it was easy to do and that I didnt need anything special to do it. Well come to find out it is really hard and they forgot to mention the other crap I needed to do the job. I called the dealer and they want $360 to do a 4 hour job.The directions say to remove the primary both inner and outer. So does that mean I have to pull the clutch?My question is has anyone ever put forward controls on a 2007 Street Bob? If so can someonetell me how hard it is to do with using the service manual. Also can you somewhat explain what the process is and what tools I need to do the job? Thanks, Chris

Old 02-25-2007, 10:31 PM
R Racing
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need Some MAJOR Help with Forward Controls!!!

Ok Chris, I don't have a 07 but I did an 03. Its really not that hard! You mount the the forward controls to your frame you need a torqs socket if I remember correctly.You remove the shift rod from the mids and shift arm.you remove the shift ( Foot)from the mids at the primary.Mount a cap over the shaft were it comes thru the primary and tighten the set screw.mid shift arm on the back side of the primary to a bolt on the block.Install new shift arm from the new forwards to the shift arm. Thats the shifter side. Brake side remove the mid brake mount and arm . Install new arm from forwards to the master cylinder. If I missed anything I'm sorry its been 3 years since I did mine . So your welcome to correct me if I forgot something.

Jim

Old 02-25-2007, 10:32 PM
sjcope13
Tourer

$360 seems a little high. I had mine installed and I think it was right around $150.00 to install them.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:38 PM
R Racing
Tourer

My computer is screwing up!!!!!!after it says set screw it should say attach the mid shift arm on the back sideof the primary. Every time I try to add something it types over it.

Jim

Old 02-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Twincam Dave
Road Master

Like R Racing said not hard at all. I did my 05 with no probs, you need a set of Torx bits and a case of beer to complete this job. Doesn't really need a case but what the hell. Dave...P.S. you will need locktite and some special lube also.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:42 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well,.... I just installed forward controls on my 06 Superglide, and while it is a lil more complex than what you were told,...its not all too difficult if you have the service manuel. You will have to remove the inner primary in order to complete the install as per the directions. I also think your labor price quote was kinda $$$, I was quoted appx $225 -$250.As far as tools go you will need a good set of ring plyers, a 1 1/8in socket or 30mm, you will also need a locking tool, "described in the service manuel" to lock the sprockets togeather OR a good air impact wrench will do instead, and a set of extended reach allen socket to remove the starter. And a torque wrench that reads both right and left hand threads in foot lbs, and a torque wrench that reads inch lbs. If you research a few days back one forum member describe the procedure pretty well.

John

Old 02-25-2007, 10:58 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 249 Likes on 166 Posts

There's two different ways of doing it,the easy wayand the hard way. Read all the posts in thethree links below:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_576946/tm.htm

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1299214/tm.htm

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1314832/tm.htm

Old 02-25-2007, 11:20 PM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior

Sounds like the guys at your dealer are what's known as jerks. They have people like that where I live to. Hope you get your controls on. $360 definitely sounds too high as well.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:26 AM
davidchristopher
Cruiser

I'll repost my 25 steps to dirty fingernails- there was a major change to the kit between the 05's and earlier and the 06+ bikes, so although some folks - such as the chap with the '03 up there will tell you it's easy, I'd say that although it's fun, I wouldn't say it was easy. Read on:

[quote] ORIGINAL: Me, from an earlier post.

[AND THIS SHOULD BY NO MEANS REPLACE THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE MANUAL. I MAY HAVE MISSED A STEP HERE OR THERE]

You will need:

1. A 30mm socket. Some say this is a 1 1/8" socket. I used a 30mm, they're nearly (by less than 1/16th ") the same size.
2. Torque wrenches- one that goes to around 150 ft/lbs and another that can do ft/inches. The big one needs to work in reverse too.
3. Primary Chaincase Fluid
4. The usual sockets you need for workin' on a harley
5. Springclip pliers
6. Primary Drive Lock Tool (*)
SHOP MANUAL
7. Invite a buddy. It's more fun to work with friends anyway.

The instructions that come with the kit simply tell you to remove the inner/outer primary covers, but not how to do it.

1. Remove the battery, battery box and undo the starter bolts. It says to remove the starter completly but I was able to work my way around it, so I left it in its place. Ymmv, use your judgement. I did have to undo the electrical box on the left side of the bike as well, but that's because I've got the PCIII stuffed in there as well as a few other things and I wanted a little extra room to play.
2. Remove the starter. (See point one)
3. Remove the mid-mount shifter and the peg mount.
3.5 (EDITED) DRAIN THE PRIMARY!!!
4. Remove the inspection cover from the outer primary cover.
5. Next, remove the outer primary cover
6. Remove the chain tensioner (careful, it's spring loaded and will fly out if you're not careful).
7. Lock the primary drive sprocket to the clutch sproket with the lock tool (why you need #6- it holds everything in place, otherwise you'd move the bike or spin the wheel while doing everything up), and loosen the primary drive bolt.
8. Reverse the tool and remove the clutch adjustment bolt, the clutch release plate retaining spring (why you need #5) and the clutch release plate.
9. Once the clutch release plate is out, use your 30mm or 1 1/8" socket and remove the clutch nut. Note, this is reverse-threaded. Note, this is reverse-threaded. Note, this is reverse-threaded. Note, this is reverse-threaded.
10. The whole compensating sproket - clutch - chain has to come out at once. Do this carefully, it's awkward. Good time for that friend to stop drinking your beer and come actually help.
11. Remove the 5 bolts holding the inner primary casing to the crankcase/tranny. The inner case should come off very easily.

NOW: This is where I totally deviated from the instructions- I ended up replacing my inner/outer primary with one from a wideglide. All chrome, no shift hole. It looks beaut.
12. Remove the mid-control shifter arms and linkage. Throw it at your buddy. Some help he's been anyway. Did he even bring beer?
13. Install the new shift arm to the transmission
14. Install the new peg mounts in the forward position.
15. Attach the shift linkage to both ends - one on the tranny side one on the peg side.
16. Re-install the inner primary (I can't remember if there's something to plug the hole, look at your instructions. I didn't need to because I installed a wideglide inner primary too). Remember to use the new gasket.
17. Reinstall the compensating socket and the clutch. Get your buddy's drunk *** off the garage floor and get him to help you here. You can do it alone, but it's easier with two. Torque it to what it says in the manual. Remember that the clutch retaining nut is reverse threaded. reverse threaded. reverse threaded.
18. Reinstall the starter.
19. Install the clutch release plate and it's retaining ring. BE CAREFUL- it's ea

Old 02-26-2007, 03:33 AM
davidchristopher
Cruiser

I'll add to the above the following:

1) It's an '06 bob - but from what I understand the process is identical.
2) I made my own locking tool out of a 7 1/2" x 2" piece of steel stock. Total cost, around $3.00.
3) Locktite the compensating sprocket and clutch bolt as indicated in the instructions
4) Do NOT overtorque the clutch release plate. READ THE DIRECTIONS.

Yes, you do need to pull the clutch, but it's not as hard as it sounds - the compensating sprocket, clutch and chain come off as a unit - the compensating sprocket has one bolt, the clutch has two - the first is the release plate bolt. You then remove the release plate spring clip and the release plate to expose the bolt holding the clutch on (reverse threaded). Once this is off the clutch, compensating sprocket and the chain comes off with ease.

Good luck.

D

Quick Reply: Need Some MAJOR Help with Forward Controls!!!