Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

handle bar change out???

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 03:13 PM
SteelWill
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default handle bar change out???

if i change out my handle bars do i have to buy new grips??? I love the grips I have and they are not cheap but as everyone knows the left one is glued on, but is there a way to get it off and reglue it to the new bars or just buy new grips?

Old 06-18-2013, 03:32 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is how I do it. Not saying it is right or wrong.
Remove the perch-if it doesn't have the sleeve that goes in the perch. If it does it is most likely not glued.
Take a small screwdriver to slip between the bar and grip. If super glue was used-you will know by the hardness of the glue and it will be close to clear. get some nail polish remover. I use a syringe with a small tip so I can use a small tube, like what is on wd40. Squeeze some in, let it set for a few and start to work the grip. It will take quiet a bit to get it all in and around the inside of the grip. Keep working the grip until it turns loose.
If it is a cement-orange/yellowish color use wd40. Work it the same.
I haven't found a grip that I was unable to remove doing this.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:48 PM
SteelWill
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put them on with the glue they came with. it was something like super glue. they are the Arlen Ness deep cut grips made out of aluminum.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:37 PM
cee
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

My factory one had something like superglue I think. I used wd40 sprayed in there and worked it back and forth until it came free. Should work with your grips. My new ones came with some double sided tape and super glue.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:58 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I changed my handlebars over the Christmas break. The first thing I did was to do what you are doing, I came here and started reading and paying attention to the chat. This is how I handled the same problem you are asking about...my SG has really suck handlebars but nice chrome Kuryakyn ISO grips that I wanted to keep. I was all ready with the long skinny screwdriver and WD-40 but I didn't need them. I was able to twist the left grip until it broke loose and I was able to work it off. I cleaned away all of the old adhesive that I could and used Weldwood contact cement to glue it on the new bar.

That brand of contact cement is real popular in general aviation because it will glue just about anything, is weatherproof, and not 100% permanent which means that it will hold forever or until you get after it with a long skinny screwdriver and WD-40 ( no they are not paying me )