Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Type of Gas Do You Use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 02:24 AM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
I was more concerned with the motor, but on an older, modded one like yours it probably isn't a problem. Certainly don't want to run leaded on newer models with cats.
OK, You are right. With no cat and after mkt exh its no prob tho'.

Last edited by fxdlx; 06-13-2013 at 02:25 AM. Reason: add tho'.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:33 AM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Wow those are some high numbers. You must have a lot of high compression engines over there because using octane higher than needed for the engine is actually worse for performance and mileage.
Octane ratings are diff in euro and america.

The octane rating shown in Canada and the United States is 4 to 5 points lower than the rating shown elsewhere in the world for the same fuel.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:52 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

My Dyna is happy with regular, but the RKC wants mid-hi grade, especially in hot weather.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:32 AM
Dynaglide68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't believe the octane levels it's all the same 87 or 93 my bike never pings , like usual your government is robbing you !! lol

Last edited by Dynaglide68; 06-13-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:36 AM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I thought the newer bikes required premium gas? Mine had a sticker on it when I baught it that said premium only. I know the engine will still run on 87 and such but why not use what they ask for when its going to cost you an extra dollar maybe two.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:33 PM
bremsstrahlung
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always use 93 because, like mentioned, its only a buck or so more and that's what's suggested in the manual. However, I'm not sure why. Isn't the octane rating of gasoline merely a number associated with the potential for pre-ignition? Meaning, a high compression, high revving engine's fuel/air mixture to spontaneously combust on the compression stroke due to heat generated by pressure before the spark plug fires... and higher octane will prevent this condition. Never really thought of a Harley engine as high compression and certainly not high revving. Am I off in my belief of what octane ratings really mean?

Old 06-13-2013, 08:46 PM
Rootro
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The highest octane available at whatever gas station that I'm near when I need gas. I like the 93 octane.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bremsstrahlung
I always use 93 because, like mentioned, its only a buck or so more and that's what's suggested in the manual. However, I'm not sure why. Isn't the octane rating of gasoline merely a number associated with the potential for pre-ignition? Meaning, a high compression, high revving engine's fuel/air mixture to spontaneously combust on the compression stroke due to heat generated by pressure before the spark plug fires... and higher octane will prevent this condition. Never really thought of a Harley engine as high compression and certainly not high revving. Am I off in my belief of what octane ratings really mean?

No you're right about what higher octane does. The reason is that these are air-cooled engines and can end up running a lot hotter than liquid cooled engines. Also, and I'm not sure what the timing is on our engines, but the further you advance the spark timing, the more likely you are to have detonation. Just as a comparison, aircraft piston engines are even lower compression than ours (like 8.7:1) and they require 100 octane LEADED(lead also helps prevent detonation) because they are also air-cooled and run a pretty advanced spark.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

It is also worth noting that the way octane prevents detonation is that is causes the fuel mixture to burn more slowly. So if you use higher octane than called for on a certain engine, you are actually going to hurt performance. Also, "premium" is not cleaner or better than regular - it just has higher percentage of octane.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:04 PM
bremsstrahlung
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No you're right about what higher octane does. The reason is that these are air-cooled engines and can end up running a lot hotter than liquid cooled engines. Also, and I'm not sure what the timing is on our engines, but the further you advance the spark timing, the more likely you are to have detonation. Just as a comparison, aircraft piston engines are even lower compression than ours (like 8.7:1) and they require 100 octane LEADED(lead also helps prevent detonation) because they are also air-cooled and run a pretty advanced spark.

Ahhhh.... air cooled engines running hotter. More ambient heat to begin with just adds to the natural heat generated during the compression stroke by all those little fuel/air molecules squeezing together at high speed increasing the potential for pre-ignition. Hadn't thought of that. You are wise grasshopper.

Quick Reply: What Type of Gas Do You Use?