Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumba$$ needs grip installation help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 01:32 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dumba$$ needs grip installation help

I purchased the below pictured grips for my 06 Superglide. I haven't changed a set of grips before. I have searched the topic in the forum here, but haven't found specific help. I did see that I need some grip adhesive since the grips I purchased didn't come with any. I also see mention of a sleeve which I did not get either. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:34 PM
JBLAzE
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dumba$$ needs grip installation help

dude i gottaclear 2popups just to see your grips.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:38 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member

Sorry, here ya go. This is a link to the Ebay auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEATH...7761QQtcZphoto

Old 02-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For grip adhesive you can use anything sticky...I've used everything from Permatex spray adhesive to my daughter's hair spray.

And I believe the sleeve you're referring to is the throttle. Your left grip slides right onto the bar while the right grip slides onto the plastic throttle "tube".

Have you taken the old grips off yet? If not, you will need to work them off gradually by prying, being careful not to scratch your bars. You might try heating them with a hair dryer.

Good luck!

Old 02-24-2007, 01:44 PM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jmpancoast

I purchased the below pictured grips for my 06 Superglide. I haven't changed a set of grips before. I have searched the topic in the forum here, but haven't found specific help. I did see that I need some grip adhesive since the grips I purchased didn't come with any. I also see mention of a sleeve which I did not get either. Any help is greatly appreciated.

nm

Old 02-24-2007, 01:46 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member

So, if I get the grip off the throttle tube, there is no need to mess with the housing?

And thanks for your help!!!

Old 02-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Nach
Cruiser

Just recently did this myself, you will have to go into the switch housing on the throttle side to get the cable off your old sleeve ( as I doubt you will be able to pull the grip off the throttle sleeve) As far as my stock grip on the left side I said to heck with it and just cut it off. The gripst that I purchased off ebay fit so tight I didnt even use adhesive and have had no problems and I have put several hundred miles on since. Whe you pull the cables out it will want to retract one jxdawg on here suggested using a couple pairs of hemostats to hold them tight if not the cable might pop out near the throttle body and the throttle will act screwy once you get the new grips on. The hardest part of the evolution is the cables the little brass ferruls will anoy the shi#$ out of you, or at least they did me

Old 02-24-2007, 04:07 PM
hep0950
Tourer

I recently put a new set of grips on my bars also. The switch housings do need to come off. The left side isn't bad and you will probably have to cut off the stock grip and you may not need to use glue. The grips I put on I had to romove any glue and put it on. It hasn't slipped. The right grip it is easiest to loosen your cables, mark where they were first, and then it makes it easier to work with the ferruls. If you are worried about dropping the ferruls and not finding them, work over a white sheet or clean floor. When puting it together tighten your cables to where they were and check to make sure there are no problems by starting up the bike and turning the handle bar back and forth. You'll find once you get into the process it is rather simple. You may want to pick up a service manual at some point also.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:56 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A trick I've used in the past to get the L grip off is to use compressed air into the R side, seal off any holes obviously, and the pressure from the air loosened the old grip. Doesn't work everytime but it's easier to try than prying it.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great idea! Just blow the sucker off! LOL

Quick Reply: Dumba$$ needs grip installation help