Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So Much For Needing A SERT

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 08:01 PM
hd_sob
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So Much For Needing A SERT

Today I had the local Stealer swap out my SEII Slip-Ons for the V&H Big Shots I recently bought from Eastern Performance. Before the swap, I also had the SE Hi-Flow A/C kit with some H-D cartridge download in there, all installed when I purchased the bike a year ago. With the Big Shots, not only does it now SOUND like it should (as I knew it would), but it also runs GREAT. Rode home for a ways on the surface streets and then jumped on the freeway for the rest of it. This thing SCREAMS now and I did NOT...again...did NOT spend another dime on a damn SERT, PCIII, FuelPak or the like.

Moral Of Story:

When people (alot of them) say the H-D cartridge downloads are useless and you MUST get a SERT (or whatever) if you change out your exhaust system, my advice would be to try it first WITHOUT, then get something else if you feel you need it. I'm happy with mine as is...

Old 02-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Alex_06FXDBI
Cruiser
Default RE: So Much For Needing A SERT

I'm running Big shot staggered (pythons actually- same ****) the SE AC and the HD Download as well. It made a noticable differnce in the way my bike feels. I get an occasional pop on decel but I dont know of many Harleys that dont.

When I change out my cams or go bigger CID I'll get the SERT but for now she runs perfectly.

Congrats!

Old 02-23-2007, 09:19 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't think anyone says you HAVE to get a SERT. But if you get your bike dyno tuned you will need an adjustable tuner like the SERT. The flexibility of the SERT allows you to change modifications and re-tune until you get the exact tune you like. So in essence you can make your own download maps and keep improvine the quality of your performance. I thought my bike ran great until it was dyno tuned...now it is like a different bike. I think most of the guys here like their money as much as you do...so you haven't discovered anything we didn't already know.

So, if you find $650 in a plain paper bag on the street...get a SERT from Zanotti's and get your bike dyno tuned...you won't be sorry...

Old 02-23-2007, 10:39 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May run great without a tune, but you'd be smart to at least check the plugs to ensure you aren't running lean with the AC and slip-ons. After burning a valve or worse, it'd be too late to tune with a SERT or PC.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12616/C4BB36D14A174C8880FAEFAD4CAE4D3A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-23-2007, 11:56 PM
hd_sob
Road Master

"I think most of the guys here like their money as much as you do...so you haven't discovered anything we didn't already know."

I'd been following this topic (fuel maps/tuners) on the forum for MONTHS prior and all I heard from 99% of people was "you're gonna need this [insert favorite tuner], you're gonna need that [favorite tuner]". I'm merely attempting to pass on some personal experience to the next rider contemplating the same action so that he/she may save a few hundred dollars on something they may or may not need, contrary to popular opinion. If everyone already knew it, as you imply, why weren't they saying it????

"May run great without a tune, but you'd be smart to at least check the plugs to ensure you aren't running lean with the AC and slip-ons."

I'm no longer running the AC and slip-ons, but even when I was, I had the cartridge download which richened it up some. Not to mention, it was all installed by the Dealer. You didn't even read what I wrote...

Old 02-24-2007, 12:09 AM
clayman
Road Master

hd_sob did you take the se/ac off and go back to the stock set up, im a little unclear as to what your set up is now apart from the V&H pipes.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:13 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: hd_sob

Today I had the local Stealer swap out my SEII Slip-Ons for the V&H Big Shots I recently bought from Eastern Performance. Before the swap, I also had the SE Hi-Flow A/C kit with some H-D cartridge download in there, all installed when I purchased the bike a year ago. With the Big Shots, not only does it now SOUND like it should (as I knew it would), but it also runs GREAT. Rode home for a ways on the surface streets and then jumped on the freeway for the rest of it. This thing SCREAMS now and I did NOT...again...did NOT spend another dime on a damn SERT, PCIII, FuelPak or the like.

Moral Of Story:

When people (alot of them) say the H-D cartridge downloads are useless and you MUST get a SERT (or whatever) if you change out your exhaust system, my advice would be to try it first WITHOUT, then get something else if you feel you need it. I'm happy with mine as is...
Changing from a stock exhaust to low restriction exhaust is going to require some type of fuel adjustment. Cartridge, SERT, ect.

By installing the download with the SEII's. You did that.

The swap to the Big Shots did not change anything. The SEII's are probably as close a match to the Big Shots as you can get.

Some people don't get that lucky.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:18 AM
clayman
Road Master

I certainly didnt find that to be true, I had the download, se II slipons and the se/ac. I then switched to the V&H BSS, it was way to lean, popping like crazy and generally running like crap. To say that the se slip ons are almost the same as the BSS is way off.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:20 AM
Trotter
Banned

You may change your mine when it gets to be July and Hot out... The bike will change with the weather conditions, Right now it's pretty cool out. It may need more fuel in the summer to keep it cool at Idle or Decel.. For that you'll needa SERT, Dont count your chickens too soon.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:28 AM
hd_sob
Road Master

Let's recap:

One year ago, I bought an '06 Street Bob. At the time of purchase, the dealer did a Stage 1 with SEII Slip-ons, SE Hi-Flow A/C kit and 'some' (I forget the p/n) H-D download. Call that download what you want, its referred to as 'cartridge', 'flash' and 'useless'. I was never really happy with it, but since I mostly ride from A to B (home to work) during the week and A to C (home to get beer) on the weekend, I didn't really give a $hit. However, as time went by, I began to want more out of the machine that I knew it was capable of. I bought some V&H Big Shots Staggered, cuz Eastern Perf had them at a price that I couldn't refuse. I stuck the unopened box in the garage thinking I would have them put on 'some day', once I eventually bought the 'obligatory' tuner that virtually everyone touted as necessary. Lately, the weather here in Tex-*** has been pretty decent and it prompted me to say ***** it and have the V&H installed, sans tuner, and see what happens. As it did happen, the bike runs better than it ever has, without any further mods to the ECM, just the H-D cartridge download.

For those of you who will say (and have already said), I certainly agree that a tuner and a dyno will increase performance, peace of mind, bragging rights and probably a bunch of other $hit.

ALL I AM SAY HERE IS: For people like me, who were hesitant to proceed with plans to install a new exhaust system because they believe it will 'require' some high-dollar mapping device, that is NOT NECESSARILY SO.

Do it or don't, believe what you want and/or try to get get others to buy something just because you bought it. In the end, I didn't buy anything and it works fine. That's ALL I'm saying...

Quick Reply: So Much For Needing A SERT