Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Quarter Fairing Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013 | 07:48 PM
SquidHead
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Smile HD Quarter Fairing Project

When I got home from work today my box from LSHD1 was on the step...woohoo!

I thought I'd start a thread and update it as I go along for the other 49mm Dyna guys who want to do this. I had to figure out what parts I needed to do it by picking through various other posts, and still had to make an extra run to the parts counter for the locking clamp.

Here's my completed list:
(1) HD Detachable Quarter Fairing Kit - 57070-98 (primed), or 57070-97DH (Black)
(3) HD 49mm Quick Release Windshield Clamps - 57192-05A
(1) HD 49mm Locking QR Windshield Clamp - 57400008
(1) Bung King 49mm Bracket Kit

Simplified steps:
-Mount the two inner brackets from the HD kit to the fairing.
-Bolt on the HD QR clamps to the Bung King brackets (put the locking clamp on the bottom so you can get the key in it on the bike)
-Loosely mount the Bung King brackets to the inner clamps.
-Install the headlight spacer and flip the headlight mount 180 degrees.
-Adjust headlight beam to new position .
-Install the headlight rubber gasket and plastic windshields on fairing.
-Clamp fairing to the forks.
-Adjust and tighten the brackets so the headlight is flush.
-Go ride!

There are other 49mm clamps out there, but I wanted to be able to take this on and off easily. And the Bung King brackets with HD QR clamps leave absolutely nothing behind on the bike once you pop it off.

I feel bad for Sportster guys who use that IKEA-like-nightmare HD docking kit. My kit included directions for it (but not the parts), and I would hate to have to put that mess together. The Bung King brackets are a breeze.

The test ride was awesome. I finally have the wind off my chest, and NO buffeting! I'll be putting my Windvest and various clamps up for sale in the classifieds this weekend.

Pics below of it mounted. I'm taking it to Norton's Customs for paint (hopefully) tomorrow. Will post more pics of the finished product once they're done with it.

The following users liked this post:
ctothetina (04-16-2019)
Old 05-24-2013 | 08:10 PM
Danielc409
Tourer

Nice, I got mine painted and put together, but I'm waiting for my last clamp to come in. Can you believe the HD dealer only had 1? Lol.

But I didn't use those black rubber things for the windshield since it clashed with my paint job. I just used some clear rubber sticker on bumpers. My windshields didn't fit all that great, but I read that the top one is suppose to have a gap to feel more wind or something .. says that in the instructions heh. But the bottom one fit like crap. It's like they didn't match the holes, they just eye****ed it and then drilled.

I'm a little disappointed in the paint job ( got it done at HD dealer ), it doesn't match all that well .. on the fairing it's more gold than my tins. On the tins, you can see more black, the fairing, the flakes are more condensed. At least that's what I think, I haven't looked at it yet in the sun.

But yea it was pretty easy. Question though, the bungking brackets, did you install them on the inside or outside of the HD brackets? I did mine on the outside, at least that's what looked right from their picture online, I just had to use the bolts from the inside because the slots on the bungking brackets are bigger and the bolt ends up spinning when trying to tightening it.

Old 05-25-2013 | 01:34 AM
maximuswaximus
Intermediate

squidhead, your bike is ****in sick! that green is awesome. im waiting on my quarter fairing right now. yours looks great

Old 05-25-2013 | 01:45 AM
seethesvt
Cruiser

I love the bike, and mines the same color, love the seat, and the whole style of the bike, but that fairing just doesn't set right with me on your bike...

Old 05-25-2013 | 02:07 AM
TwelveHD
Tourer

Originally Posted by seethesvt
I love the bike, and mines the same color, love the seat, and the whole style of the bike, but that fairing just doesn't set right with me on your bike...
I would agree.. Your bike is super clean bro! Kinda has that old school rustic look, but the fairing just doesn't go.. Just my opinion.. Everything else about your bike goes very well together bro..

Old 05-25-2013 | 02:18 AM
Sparra
Tourer

So does the headlight just shoot through the cover???

Old 05-25-2013 | 07:55 AM
JROCKER
Tourer

Bike looks bad *** squid!

Old 05-25-2013 | 08:13 AM
SquidHead
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Danielc409
Nice, I got mine painted and put together, but I'm waiting for my last clamp to come in. Can you believe the HD dealer only had 1? Lol.

But I didn't use those black rubber things for the windshield since it clashed with my paint job. I just used some clear rubber sticker on bumpers. My windshields didn't fit all that great, but I read that the top one is suppose to have a gap to feel more wind or something .. says that in the instructions heh. But the bottom one fit like crap. It's like they didn't match the holes, they just eye****ed it and then drilled.

I'm a little disappointed in the paint job ( got it done at HD dealer ), it doesn't match all that well .. on the fairing it's more gold than my tins. On the tins, you can see more black, the fairing, the flakes are more condensed. At least that's what I think, I haven't looked at it yet in the sun.

But yea it was pretty easy. Question though, the bungking brackets, did you install them on the inside or outside of the HD brackets? I did mine on the outside, at least that's what looked right from their picture online, I just had to use the bolts from the inside because the slots on the bungking brackets are bigger and the bolt ends up spinning when trying to tightening it.
I put the brackets on the outside.

My dealer promised they could do an exact color match, but everyone I've talked to locally said take it to Norton's Customs. Thanks for posting that...confirms my decision.

Old 05-25-2013 | 08:23 AM
SquidHead
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwelveHD
I would agree.. Your bike is super clean bro! Kinda has that old school rustic look, but the fairing just doesn't go.. Just my opinion.. Everything else about your bike goes very well together bro..
I hear ya, and I really love the way my bike looks naked, which is why I want this to be a true quick detach.

I spend 99% of my time on SOCAL freeways with a 60 mile round trip commute, and Windvest didn't work for me. I've been riding it naked, but it gets exhausting, especially along the coast, fighting those afternoon gusts. This thing is perfect...nothing blowing me out of my lane, and no buffeting.

It's definitely not for everybody, and it's not supposed to be. FWIW, I got similar opinions from people about going with green paint and brown seat.

The following users liked this post:
Gunsforhire (03-18-2017)
Old 05-25-2013 | 08:26 AM
SquidHead
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sparra
So does the headlight just shoot through the cover???
No, it presses up against the back on a thick rubber gasket. You lose a little peripheral lighting.

Quick Reply: HD Quarter Fairing Project