Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Quarter Fairing Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013 | 01:42 AM
Cascade
Tourer

Nice smoked headlight lens!
Has the inside been sprayed?

Old 06-02-2013 | 02:01 AM
BMCsteve
Road Master

looks sick. nice job man

Old 06-02-2013 | 07:03 AM
jojo2dog
Road Captain

I now this is about looks, but would like to know how the fairing works on the highway, I do freeway back and forth to work, with the gators it really looks good, they set it off really well

Old 06-02-2013 | 09:51 AM
SquidHead
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jojo2dog
I now this is about looks, but would like to know how the fairing works on the highway, I do freeway back and forth to work, with the gators it really looks good, they set it off really well
Acutally, I did this for function primarily...the good looks are an added bonus. I live and work just off the 5 freeway in San Diego and spend nearly all my time at freeway speed. I couldn't get used to the helmet buffeting from my Windvest. This thing has NO as in ZERO buffeting, and it takes the wind off my chest. I can cruise way over the posted limit, in heavy gusts, one handed. I still feel plenty of wind, but without feeling like I'm being ripped off the bike.

Originally Posted by Cascade
Nice smoked headlight lens!
Has the inside been sprayed?
Yep, Norton's sprayed the inside. I already knicked it getting it back together, but it's an easy touch up with some Testors Black.

Originally Posted by gant
wait so you just remove the front wheel? to install those gaiters? i thought you had to pull the forks!!, got a link to them gaiters?

so once wheel removed you just slide them up? did you have to force them?

also any links on how to remove the front wheel?
They are the Japanese boots, AKA Jammers. The instructions are in Japanese, but you don't really need directions...pretty intuitive. I got mine from J&P for $36: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/220-535.

I've had them for awhile, but didn't want to go through disassembling the forks or cutting the back open and gluing it shut. I got the idea from another forum member, 128auto. I just swabbed the insides with soapy water, and pulled them up like a pair of too-small socks. I used a dry rag to help work them over the fender mounts because the outside got slippery, too.

I followed the service manual to remove the wheel...easy day. In addition to a regular set of tools, you'll need a bungee cord to suspend the caliper with once it's removed so you don't put strain on the brake line.

- Jack up the bike, but keep the front wheel on the ground.
- Break loose the axle nut, but do not remove it.
- Raise front wheel off the ground.
- Have bungee ready, remove the caliper nuts (12 point 10mm), and suspend the caliper with the bungee.
- Loosen (do not remove) the two axle pinch bolts.
- Remove the axle nut, and slide the axle out while supporting the wheel.
- Carefully pull the wheel out from between the forks and be ready to catch the spacer on the left (facing aft). I say "carefully" because you could ding the forks pretty easily with the rotor.

Putting it back on is basically the reverse, except for lining up the ABS speed sensor on the right (facing aft). If you don't have the service manual pictures to refer to, you'll definitely need to note the direction it faces before you pull the axle out, so you put it back on the right direction. Then you just rotate it until the little nub rests on the fork shoulder before you tighten down the axle nut.

I highly recommend getting the service manual, though. There are lots of warnings and notes in there that I wouldn't have considered, like don't touch the brake lever once the caliper is off, or you'll be in for a crap-load more work getting the pistons back in.

Last edited by SquidHead; 06-04-2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Credited 128auto for the jammer boot install idea.
Old 06-02-2013 | 12:42 PM
SquidHead
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Close Ups of Clamps and Fork Brace

Here are some close ups of the quick release clamps and the RSD fork brace.

I think the lock being on top works better than underneath for getting the key in and rotated. Still a tight fit and I have to be careful no the scratch the paint.

The fork brace:

Old 06-02-2013 | 12:49 PM
SquidHead
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Last Pics - Black vs. Brown

Last set of pics for this project. I threw my black Sick Saddle and battery bags on for comparison. I think I like the look better than my brown seats, but there's no beating the comfort of my Mustang saddle. Maybe something for down the road.

Brown:

Black:

Thanks for all the encouragement and suggestions along the way. It came together way faster than I planned.

Old 06-02-2013 | 01:30 PM
Danielc409
Tourer

Did he not paint the inside of the headlight area? Mine is, cant tell if i like it or not. Its getting repainted this week to match it better. The tinted windshield looks good as well, that was my plan.

Old 06-02-2013 | 01:52 PM
SquidHead
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Danielc409
Did he not paint the inside of the headlight area? Mine is, cant tell if i like it or not. Its getting repainted this week to match it better. The tinted windshield looks good as well, that was my plan.
Yeah, I asked him to make it a satin finish for the black. It looks much better than flat and matches the finish on the brackets. I really like it with my black LED headlight.

...And you have got to post up some pics of yours soon. I really want to see hold the gold turned out.

Last edited by SquidHead; 06-02-2013 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Reminder for pics from Danielc409
Old 06-02-2013 | 02:19 PM
Danielc409
Tourer

I have a few but was going to wait until the paint is matched properly. It stands out a lot in the sun.

Old 06-02-2013 | 07:39 PM
JROCKER
Tourer

Originally Posted by gant
nice that paint match is very good

wierd seeing a fairing w/o tbars still trying to get use to it lol

btw: keep helmets off the ground! its bad luck lol
In what picture is a helmet on the ground? I see one up on some brick work. sounds like a stupid superstition
Like the riding bell. Almost every wrecked bike I've seen has one!

Quick Reply: HD Quarter Fairing Project