Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust and intake...now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013 | 08:39 AM
HyperM3
|
Road Captain
Default Exhaust and intake...now what?

Ok, so my bike is coming in next week but I have already got parts in my garage for mods.

I have the V&H big radius 2-1 and the DK customs outlaw 587 intake. I know Im going to need a tune of some sort. Ive done a lot of research and I think Im a bit overwhelmed at this point.

My buddy says hes got a tts(?) that can reprogram the computer. I havent a clue what that is. I have seen the Xied things and then some people just say take it to the dealer to get mapped.

What is the concensous about what to do next? Does my buddy have the right thing to do what I need on the bike?

Old 05-23-2013 | 08:54 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

You will get a lot of different input on this, really need to do some research to see what fits you. Generally, you get what you pay for, less $$ - less adjustments, piggyback, etc. More $$, a lot of adjustments, flashes ECM( no piggyback ), and more complicated. I highly recommend the PowerVision, not cheap but very flexible, can keep it kinda simple or you can dive in and explore your entire tune.

Old 05-23-2013 | 08:57 AM
HyperM3
|
Road Captain

Yeah, I figured this is just a jump over a cliff type of question. I guess the main thing I want to know is if my friend has what I need just to do a simple tune at first for both the items I have for the bike. Not looking to go crazy yet, just ride it for a bit and break it in.

Old 05-23-2013 | 09:11 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Inexpensive route that thousands are happy with are the XiED's. Click HERE for more info.

If you want a full tuner, I think you would be very happy with the Power Vision from Fuel Moto. It is very easy to use and works very well, plus no dyno time needed, no dealer needed.

Old 05-23-2013 | 09:15 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HyperM3
Yeah, I figured this is just a jump over a cliff type of question. I guess the main thing I want to know is if my friend has what I need just to do a simple tune at first for both the items I have for the bike. Not looking to go crazy yet, just ride it for a bit and break it in.
The TTS is a nice tuner but, it has a lot of capability but does cost more than some more simple options. One thing to consider is if you think you will continue to mod your bike - if so do not waste $$ on a Stage 1 flash from HD, you will have to do something again after the mod. I never thought the Stage 1 map was very good anyway. So if you think you will keep your bike awhile and more mods then a nice tuner will pay off, but if you are confident that you wont do anymore mods then maybe a more simple tuner will work.

Old 05-23-2013 | 09:29 AM
HyperM3
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by alansummrs
The TTS is a nice tuner but, it has a lot of capability but does cost more than some more simple options.
Well, my buddy said hes going to bring it over, all I need is a laptop and the cable. If hes letting me borrow that then I dont really need to get anything else right?

Old 05-23-2013 | 10:18 AM
HyperM3
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Inexpensive route that thousands are happy with are the XiED's. Click HERE for more info.

If you want a full tuner, I think you would be very happy with the Power Vision from Fuel Moto. It is very easy to use and works very well, plus no dyno time needed, no dealer needed.
I dont think I need a full tuner since Im really not planning any additional "power" mods after this. I looked at the link you posted and then went back a bit and saw theres several models of the Xied things. How do I know which one works best for my application? Or is that direct link the only one I need to get?

Old 05-23-2013 | 10:22 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Supporter

I thought a tuner like the TTS could only be used on one bike?

You mention not planning any future mods. I'm sure a lot of people have said that at some point. A year ago I had no intention of doing cams, big bore, or heads, but thats exactly what I did over the winter.

Last edited by Reindeer; 05-23-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-23-2013 | 10:44 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Reindeer
I thought a tuner like the TTS could only be used on one bike?

You mention not planning any future mods. I'm sure a lot of people have said that at some point. A year ago I had no intention of doing cams, big bore, or heads, but thats exactly what I did over the winter.
Right on straight info there. The tts marries up to one bike otherwise 10 or 20 guys would put their money in and just buy one, these companies who develop and supply this stuff need to make money. That makes sense right so don't even think about your budd's TTS unless you call TTS for a second license which will cost as much as a brand new power vision.
You have three people here already who are recommending the power vision including me and lots more opinions coming. Not to mention DK is a dealer himself recommending someone else than himself, how could that not be honest. We have all learned the hard way that spending less for something that will only be a quick fix will end up on a shelf later collecting dust. Jamie at fuel moto will sell you the PV or a PC-V with a fuel map that should be perfect, if not he will adjust it. But the power vision is worth every penny because I was using a pc-v from Jamie and when the power vision came out and I got one there was a noticeable boost in the bikes performance, it will be yours, you will never need another tuner, and Jamie will support and upgrade and even tweak the thing for you online.

Last edited by maddghost; 05-23-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-23-2013 | 10:56 AM
HyperM3
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by maddghost
Right on straight info there. The tts marries up to one bike otherwise 10 or 20 guys would put their money in and just buy one, these companies who develop and supply this stuff need to make money. That makes sense right so don't even think about your budd's TTS unless you call TTS for a second license which will cost as much as a brand new power vision.
You have three people here already who are recommending the power vision including me and lots more opinions coming. Not to mention DK is a dealer himself recommending someone else than himself, how could that not be honest. We have all learned the hard way that spending less for something that will only be a quick fix will end up on a shelf later collecting dust. Jamie at fuel moto will sell you the PV or a PC-V with a fuel map that should be perfect, if not he will adjust it. But the power vision is worth every penny because I was using a pc-v from Jamie and when the power vision came out and I got one there was a noticeable boost in the bikes performance, it will be yours, you will never need another tuner, and Jamie will support and upgrade and even tweak the thing for you online.

All good info right there. Thank you very much for that response. I had PCV on previous bikes and once I downloaded the maps, I never used it again. To be honest, the investment of nearly $500 for something Im only going to run once isnt looking like the best option for me. I think Ill try the Xied thing for just the intake and exhaust assistance.

Quick Reply: Exhaust and intake...now what?